ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Vs MR2 Turbo

im looking for a second car and im thinking of the MR2 turbo since it has many great reviews on the internet. has anyone on here driven both?

how does it compare to the 172? and which is the better drivers car?

i think the actual specs are:

0-60mph - 5.2secs
top speed - 160mph
not too sure about the torque but they are prone to spinning in the wet due to being RWD

the clio has been rated in all the top mags as one of the best hot hatches around but i think i just want something i can afford with blistering pace

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I think a Mr2 would beat a 172 in a straight line quite easliy wouldnt it?

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Yeah healthy ones are very fast up to and over 100mph.

My clutch is slipping though so kinda forgotten how fast it really is. Getting it done in the next week or so though.

2004 Racing Blue 182

they have awesome potential to be very very fast indeed, i had an N/A and that was plenty fast enough for me, i would love another one but unfortunately im not in the financial position to get one.

Get a t-bar mate, u cant beat the looks of an mr2 with the roof panels off, its awesome. they are also cheaper at this time of year than the hard top models, the imports dont come with a sunroof or leather, but i think its the GTS that comes half leather seats????!!!????

good luck findin one mate, top cars.

-->NV

300bhp MR2 Turbo

GT is half leather, air con, climate control, folding mirrors, steering fog lamps better stereo (8 speakers) and god knows what else. (Thats what I got)

GTS is less equiped. Think it comes with cloth or may be half leather as an upgrade.

Look for a rev 3 if you can afford one. With regards to the t-bar I didnt like the look of it. Also they tend to leak and how often in Englad does it rain!

Be on more than its off IMO.

Yaris Hybrid

Go for the Turbo, is quick in a straight line and alright not so good in the corners but you rarely race people around corners.

Avoid the NA like the plague. Far too slow to justify the running costs my mate is experiencing. Youd be better off with a 172.

me and my mate raced a turbo one in his willy 2... dispatched it easily on the twisties.. i look behind me and saw it spin out..loool... maybe a good drag car, and for motorways, but..hey we are in uk, and realy the williams is the lord of the b roads....as no doubt 172/182s are.

CTR EK9 turbo

they never did a twin turbo mr2, you are mistaken with the twin-entry turbo. My bro has a rev3 turbo and its very impressive. He has recently got a full blitz exhaust and aussie downpipe and filter - it really flies now! standard it put out 220 whp so wel be going back to get it tested again soon at the same place to find out how much difference the exhaust made - it certainly feels a lot!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Rev 1&2 is 225 bhp at the fly not wheels. Rev 3+ is 245bhp at the fly.

Problem is thats on Jap 100+ ron fuel so over here they make less.

Mine made 202bhp atf on standard boost (10 psi) (BP Ultimate 97ron fuel)

Then made 235 bhp with 14psi (very safe level to run all day hapily)

That was with a slipping clutch...

they dont always make less. i remember when grahams was rolling roaded before being chipped. running a cat back mongoose exhaust on a rev 3 turbo with 60k (ish) on the clock it put out 250+bhp. once chipped it ran at 307bhp, so he got over 60bhp rise for 1k