ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 VVT Type

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Can anyone tell me what type of VVT system the 172 runs please?

Is it a simple on/off at a set rev point or is it a more complicated version like other systems.

I need to know so that I can make sure the new ECU I'm lookin at will cope with it.

Cheers

Lee

Dont know if its any help but I believe it activates when the coolant reaches 75c. Hence them running like crap from cold for a few mins.

VaVa
Do a search. It's been posted many times. And that's wrong i think ^^^ It's a simple on/off cam phasing type. Between 1400 rpm and 6500 rpm iirc.

They run like s**t when cold because of stringent emission control - They run as lean as possible when cold, hence why they're stuttery for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Posted by Henk

VVT explained

Here is some additional info about the camshaft phase shift system as used on the Clio RS. (2000-2005)

The VVT system is only active after certain conditions are met, like coolant temperature / battery voltage etc.
Once these conditions are met , the ECU looks up engine load and rpm in a 3D table and activates/deactivates the cam shifter accordingly.

For the 182 that means VVT is active from 1450 to 6850 rpm and from light/moderate load to full load.
The 172 shifts back 150 rpm earlier. All settings can be changed as required.

As most of you know the VVT is a 2-step ON/OFF system. However the ECU is capable of sending a PWM signal which turns the solenoid on/off in 6 steps. From 25 - 100 % duty. Renault does for some reason, NOT implement this feature on the 2000-2005 models.

;)

Lionel Richie
really? hum, have i confused the cam sensor for a vvt solenoid or something stuipd?

i was 99% sure it was vvt on both cams?

Clio 220 lpg
had a bit of time to see whats different tonight and all there is are diff springs, inlet and exhaust cams on the head which suprised me:eek:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Nope, F4R 830

Induction Capacity (cc) 1998
Bore x Stroke 82.7 x 93
No of Cylinders/Valves 4 in line / 16
Compression Ratio 11.5 : 1
Maximum Power - kw ISO (hp DIN) 145 (197) to 7250
Maximum torque - Nm ISO (mkg DIN) 215 at 5550
Injection Type Multipoint Injection
Fuel Type Unleaded Petrol
Catalytic Converter Standard

M

mini-valver

Yeah, just has a bigger bellhousing for the box but the code's still the same.

Says the man who clearly contributes alot to this website who has 95 posts LOL

At least I try my best to help people where I can (I was wrong on this occasion). Like I said dont know jack about the 197 engine but know a fair bit about the older ones

Renaultsport Clio 172
Does anybody know if the VVT from the intake can be implemented in the exhaust, just wondering this could give a better performance. Would this be feasible?

Not without redesigning the camshaft to be of a hollow oil pressure carrying design and installing a complex dual constant vvt management.

Feasible, but highly pointless.

172 phase 1
Posted by Henk

VVT explained

Here is some additional info about the camshaft phase shift system as used on the Clio RS. (2000-2005)

The VVT system is only active after certain conditions are met, like coolant temperature / battery voltage etc.
Once these conditions are met , the ECU looks up engine load and rpm in a 3D table and activates/deactivates the cam shifter accordingly.

For the 182 that means VVT is active from 1450 to 6850 rpm and from light/moderate load to full load.
The 172 shifts back 150 rpm earlier. All settings can be changed as required.

As most of you know the VVT is a 2-step ON/OFF system. However the ECU is capable of sending a PWM signal which turns the solenoid on/off in 6 steps. From 25 - 100 % duty. Renault does for some reason, NOT implement this feature on the 2000-2005 models.

;)

Hi am running my 172 on 197 cams with a 8 degree advance and with a trumpet length of 27 whats best vvt activation range to be running then with this diffrent but fairly common modded cam setup on a standalone thats set currently for running simple on/off variation range? 1450 to ...... ???