ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Aux tensioning tool?

Renault Clio 182
Hi Guys

Have changed my aux belt today and the idle pulley and the tentioner but i cannot get the belt back on as the spring type tensioner will not adjust from what i believe there is a tool required any one have any useful info on this?

cheers Pip

Cup Packed BG 182
something like this, we also welded a female torx to the other side for the tensioner bolts as there is f**k all room down there

DSC_0005.jpg

ph1-172
i don't know if its the same design but on my ph1 i used two jubille clips made a loop around the spring then just tightened it up, squashing the spring.

did the job for me when my belt came off during a trackday

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi there

What size square bar is required to fit the tensioner please..?

My new tensioner has not yet arrived, so i can not measure the one in situ.

Cheers

Si

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
I used a 3/8 extension and snapped the bottom clean off the new tensioner. I made one to the exact size. Had to strip down and rebuild the old tensioner body with all the new parts.

10mm x 10mm iirc

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Pressed too much? The tensioner didnt even compress! Im not daft enough to try and force something further than its meant to go. The 3/8 drive rotated in the square hole and forced it to snap.

Lionel Richie
its 3/8ths - 100%

very easy to break that tensioner, thats why i always drop the alternator forward by removing the top bolt, takes a lot of force off it

3/8's seems an odd size for a modern euro car, Thought it would be the metric.

I've already dropped the alternator forward as mention because thats whats bust and coming off.

When I get the thing off I'll put the verniers on to it.

Cheers of info.

3/8's it is then. OR 0.375 inch = 9.525 millimeter.... ;)

I'll post a pic of the finished product.

Si

I've bought the tool just because its slimmer and might be useful for the e-torx bolts too, but if it doesn't work for the tensioning ill use a jubilee.

This is probably a dumb question, but doesn't the tensioner hole have to be used? i.e. does it not come pre tensioned and the tool have to be used to release the tension? or is the idea if you have the square tool to fit the idler and spring, tension with the tool then release tension once the belt is fitted?