ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 182, buy or walk away?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I went to view a 182 yesterday. 90k, part service history, 2 owners from new, warranty, 12 months MOT, scorpion exhaust. £2300.

But, there isn't any record of the cambelt being changed on the book. Surely it was changed, would hardly last 90k would it?

Sounded a bit 'tappy' from the engine bay, but it hadn't been started in 3 days, would that just be a rough cold idle?

For £2300, would it be worth my while buying it and taking it to Renault asap for the belt(s)?

Thanks.

Edit: The car is spotless otherwise.

Audi A3
could be idle, could be dephaser, so add 6-700 ontop of the buying price and youve got £3k. youd be able to get a better example for that surely

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
could be idle, could be dephaser, so add 6-700 ontop of the buying price and youve got £3k. youd be able to get a better example for that surely

I thought £2300 was good? Lol not too clued up on clio value.

Fairly rare over here too which makes it harder to find one.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Whats up with the teg fella?

I must say i would make sure its had a belt and check the dephaser. I've just bought a 182 and liking its more than i thought i would tbh. With mine being higher mileage i made sure these were done. (and more)

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Nothing serious, just adding a few things up, looks like it will be a harsh winter for it.

I do love it but still miss the toys my golf had.

With the clio I get the best of both worlds. :)

Clio 1.2 16v
Liam, take your time mate. you're probably just excited at buying a new car and have blinkers on.

Cambelts are pretty important so surely they would know if it has been done, maybe thats the reason they haven't started it for a while?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing serious, just adding a few things up, looks like it will be a harsh winter for it.

I do love it but still miss the toys my golf had.

With the clio I get the best of both worlds. :)

Yeah i get what you mean. I loved the Bora but the clio is more fun but with the toys. Not silly low for winter either.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Liam, take your time mate. you're probably just excited at buying a new car and have blinkers on.

Cambelts are pretty important so surely they would know if it has been done, maybe thats the reason they haven't started it for a while?

Well the 2 owners were both female, so I'm questioning their RS knowledge about cambelts. Lol

I would rather just get the belts done for peace of mind. That brings the total to £2900, not bad imo.

Going to take a look at the belt tomorrow when I view again, I'm hoping for a stamp/date or something. Preferably a fresh "Renault" stamp. Lol

Seat Ibiza
Well the 2 owners were both female, so I'm questioning their RS knowledge about cambelts. Lol

I would rather just get the belts done for peace of mind. That brings the total to £2900, not bad imo.

Going to take a look at the belt tomorrow when I view again, I'm hoping for a stamp/date or something. Preferably a fresh "Renault" stamp. Lol

I bought a 172 on a 2004 plate with full history, belts just done 12months mot for £2900. And it had 39k on the clock.

There's some good deals around mate, I looked at about 5 or 6 before I found one I wanted!

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
That was a bargain!

Very different over here, I've only ever seen one 182 in my whole life. Lol very rare.

They are usually 3/4k+ so this caught my eye!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
There are thousands for sale over here. I'm sure it wouldn't be a fortune to buy a decent one from over here and drive it home.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
That's the one. Oh really, ffs. There's a cat C repaired one in Belfast I might ring about, going for £1995.

Where did you previously see it out of interest?

Fiesta ST2
its been on usedcars for a while and auto trader different times. I'm not sure if they are missing it just looks like they are buddy! Would be worth a my text check or something for the sake of £2.50 :) then again if it wasnt a CAT it wont show up..

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
its been on usedcars for a while and auto trader different times. I'm not sure if they are missing it just looks like they are buddy! Would be worth a my text check or something for the sake of £2.50 :) then again if it wasnt a CAT it wont show up..

Could have been hit and not registered, there is a car lift there so ill get him to put it up and me and a friend will have a look. There is a hpi certificate with the car actually, ill do my own though, just to be sure.

Fiesta ST2
Ya have a look around buddy. Not saying its a scrapper at all btw just being careful :). I had blinkers on when I got my R27 and ignored the holes in the rear spoiler lip where the cup spoiler had been etc.. not saying it was a bad decision to buy it but I wish I'd noticed :(

RB 182
good old cliosport at its best, unless you pay £299 and the guy throws in a cambelt change for it you have been ripped off :boring:

+1 sounds cheap enough to me. Least you've got piece of mind paying to get the belts done yourself. I think you would be lucky to get much better for that money. That said the missing washer jets would be a concern to me.

Clio 197
Also If you have the cash take cash with you when buying , it's surprising how many garages will do a "deal" when the cash is staring them in the face.

Have a value in mind and don't pay more than that, your in control so it's easy to walk away

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I'll have a look. Not many around here though.

Had another look at that clio yesterday, but I'm wondering.

If the belts are long overdue, can I just get them done and that's that? Or could any damage have been done if the timing was out, or if the belts were that old?

Literally all it needs are the belts done.... (well they could be done but doesn't say in service book).

£2200 can lift the car.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Really? Great.

Time to shift the Integra! Worst possible time of the year to sell one too, lol.

pimp mobile Zafira
The advert says full service history but you've found that they are unsure of the belts. I'd walk, who knows what else could be lurking underneath.

RB 182
Have you had a good look through the service book? As in mine the belts / auxiliary belt stamps are a few pages after the regular service stamps in a section of their own

Last edited:

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Service history isn't everything. My Integra hasn't got full history and its far from a shed.

Had the clio up on the ramps and checked it over, very clean. Also checked the cars accident/police/finance info checked and all was clear.

RB 182
Service history isn't everything. My Integra hasn't got full history and its far from a shed.

Had the clio up on the ramps and checked it over, very clean. Also checked the cars accident/police/finance info checked and all was clear.

Sounds alright to me.

I like a good history for piece of mind, but the condition of the car is more important. It doesnt sound to me like you are going to get anything better for that money.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I agree. Plus I got some good news.

Just off the phone to Renault about the belts etc, £480 ALL IN, & years guarantee. That's 20% off labour and parts.

Woop.

Edit: £353 all in from another dealer :D

Seat Ibiza

Just off the phone to Renault about the belts etc, £480 ALL IN, & years guarantee. That's 20% off labour and parts.

Woop.

Thats a bargin, are you trade or something?

RB 182

Woop.

Does that include new auxilary belt kit? Might want to get the dephaser done too if its got patchy history