ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 (Do You Have To Run Her In)

Titanium Clio 182

My Brother has just bought a black 182 with the cup pack. The dealership said you dont have to run them in, you just can rag it to f**k as soon as you get it. Is this true, ive been driving his car as he failed his test and its a lovely car to drive. Im getting mine on the 1st September, Silver.

He got a 182 even before he passed his test ??

:eek:

Whats insurance like ?

Anyway, some people say a hard run-in is better than being careful. But Ill wait for some of the more technical minded to come along and explain why.

Some say you should really run it in, but others say aslong as you have been driving for about 10-15mins and the oil nicely warmed to lubricate the engine then you can rag if. I dunno :sick:

VaVa

Welcome to the forum.

We have a search facility on this forum that enables you to search for information without repeating questions that have previously been answered. The hard method of running in can be found http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=96065&SearchPagePosition=1&search=running+in+182&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Searchhere about 6 or 7 posts down.

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 19 August 2004 at 9:15am]

beaten to it by evilowl!!

Titanium Clio 182
  300bhp MR2 Turbo

Still its nice to be polite, if you know the answer why not answer him!

Good luck with the car mate!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 19 August 2004

Still its nice to be polite, if you know the answer why not answer him!

Good luck with the car mate!
Because there is no definite answer. Different people pfrefer to run their car in different ways. As most of these views had been posted in an earlier thread, I thought Id point him in the right direction. I even gave him a link!!! Christ, what more do you want? The reach-around aswell??!!!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Easy tiger, I dont know the answer if there was a quick answer then Id answer is all Im saying.

In through the nose, out through the mouth there you go....

Anybody know whether the ECU records how you drive the car. The current Lotus ECU records various parameters to see how youve been driving the car. Itll check the % of time spent at full throttle, revs & duration. These are downloaded at the 1000 mile service, and I know 1 person who had a hard time over it.

Does the Reanult ECU not have this (so the dealer / manuf can say - "you didnt run it in according to our instructions - bye bye warranty"?

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Quote: Originally posted by Jason C on 19 August 2004

Anybody know whether the ECU records how you drive the car. The current Lotus ECU records various parameters to see how youve been driving the car. Itll check the % of time spent at full throttle, revs & duration. These are downloaded at the 1000 mile service, and I know 1 person who had a hard time over it.

Does the Reanult ECU not have this (so the dealer / manuf can say - "you didnt run it in according to our instructions - bye bye warranty"?
Pretty sure they are just guidelines !! they cant tell you how to drive your car. If Lotus/renault/anyone tried that trick on me the solicitors would be on the case. ;)

Obviously youre right - it doesnt give a blow by blow description of how youve driven - just indicators (that were fairly comprehensive).

ISTR this guy had spent >70% of the time at >75% Throttle opening as one of them!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Sorry but how stupid is that question...

Imagine going to run a marathon just 2 secs after waking up in the morning!!! Youd injure ursel or simply break down!!! (Esp after a Hard nite!!)

Its the same for a car, everythings tight, the bottom end bearings, pistons/rings...etc etc. Things need time, and if you spend time ull reep the benefits in the future.

Quote: Originally posted by Jason C on 19 August 2004

No the Renault one doesnt do this.

Best idea to bed it in is the hard ben in brocedure which has been explained before IMO.