ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 FF can't find where my oil leak is from

Clio 182 FF
Hi ! First off, i'd like to clear the fact that i am in no way a technician and i dont even have no tools, i think christmas is gonna be time for me to invest haha.

So i noticed a couple of weeks ago that my car has been leaking oil, when the car is resting in the garage..
Probable one or two drops a day. But when i come back after a drive the next day i find a ""puddle"" of around 10cm of oil on the floor, and then the leak slows down to the rate mentioned before.

So i have been keeping my on the oil level which hasnt moved a bit since the day i got it (about 2 months ago), so i tried to trace the leak, and i noticed the power steering fluid reservoir was all oily and greasy, so i opened it and saw that it was overfilled. Then i looked down and saw what i think is the gearbox covered in oil :

So my guess then is it's either the gearbox leaking, or the power steering fluid leaking on top of it once it warms up and expands because it's overfilled.
The thing is if my gearbox was leaking and probably has been for a while wouldnt the gears be crunchy and stuff ? Cuz it is pretty smooth to me, no problem on that hand.

I'm scared to take it to Ren because i'm sure they will find a 1000€ bill somewhere. (i'm french so yes, euros)
Also found a bit of oil down what i think is the inlet manifold ? Seems pretty common but maybe that's it ?
If anyone is down to help... Hit me up !

If the PAS reservour is over the maximum line then there's a chance it's a leak from there when hot. Have you tried removing a little bit of the fluid to get it down below the max marker? If not that would be a good place to start. Then clean the whole area up and monitor it closely everytime you start, drive and stop the car. Once clean you should be able to see more easily where it's coming from.

It's also very easy to check and top up the gearbox oil level. Most of these gearboxes weap oil and you don't want it getting low as they are made of chocolate as is. On the front of the gearbox there is a butterfly plug, if the car is on level ground and you undo this you can put more oil in with a bit of hose pipe and a funnel. If it drips back out the butterly plug hole then the level is fine and you can do it back up.

Clio 182 FF
If the PAS reservour is over the maximum line then there's a chance it's a leak from there when hot. Have you tried removing a little bit of the fluid to get it down below the max marker? If not that would be a good place to start. Then clean the whole area up and monitor it closely everytime you start, drive and stop the car. Once clean you should be able to see more easily where it's coming from.

It's also very easy to check and top up the gearbox oil level. Most of these gearboxes weap oil and you don't want it getting low as they are made of chocolate as is. On the front of the gearbox there is a butterfly plug, if the car is on level ground and you undo this you can put more oil in with a bit of hose pipe and a funnel. If it drips back out the butterly plug hole then the level is fine and you can do it back up.
Alright i'll do that i guess i'll buy some brake cleaner next time i'm going to the store and take some of the fluid off like you said. Thanks.