ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 MC04TXG (car number 5!)

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
I've just read all this and have to say good effort with the DIY spannering! The turini's look great, but for a track car you'll want 15" wheels for better feel and cheaper sticky tyres.

Thanks. This is my first clio sport. Only drove it for a few days before starting this but i am hooked.

I actually enjoy working on these cars. They are quite nicely out together. I’ve been doh g more and more of this stuff over 10 years. Starting out with just basic maintenance right up to full body restoration engine and gearbox work on these little guys.

20f67525fb0a6d00350734f7a2ca3ce0.jpg

I do like the look of Turin is but like you point out I’ve found over the months that people go for 15s on the track.

In actual fact the plan for this car may end up changing. I’m starting a new job next week and I’ll be working away with less need for a daily. So the fiesta st will probably go and I might put this into “run about” service when the misses is using the family car. Means I can hand the fiesta back and get a £300 a month pay rise[emoji106]

I’ll still do some track days and hill climb nights but it will be more road friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Dumping the fiesta for a £300 bonus sounds like a good idea to me. You don't need to completely gut a clio to have a fun track car. Good suspension, brakes and track tyres are all you need really.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
So a bit of a faf and definitely a me problem but that’s the cam seals sorted.

0b50baaaf04f231681251a8ac56edced.jpg

Also put a new set of plugs in. Car wouldn’t start but I’ve found the main engine/gearbox earth needs replaced. Got it running by connecting the engine to the battery negative using a jump lead and it’s running and no more oil pissing out. Slight bad news that number 4 injector isn’t working so I’ve decided to buy a set of 4 from renparts on eBay. Should be here this week in time to finish this car for a bank holiday test.

In other cars. Gave this a clean. Made me want to keep it. 2 days later the windscreen cracked. It’s getting changed on Friday and handed back in a few weeks for sure.

3cdc1fdf0243b0101af34818141765f1.jpg

Also MOTd this little fella. Only 2000 miles last year so obviously didn’t need anything.

7312b2a5c6e4961e395c5861afe8fb9d.jpg

Roll on the summer!

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
It’s been a busy old time with a new job and lots of travelling. Less time to work on the car but 2 evenings a week on my tod leaves quite a bit of time to mess about looking at cars and car parts.

First I handed the fiesta back after only 40 miles in month one it was definitely the right call. Called ford up and they offered the same money as was remaining on the finance. Having only owned it 18 months it was a pretty good deal.

I’ve been using my 205 GTI as a wee run about when I’m home and the wife is out with the family car.

Some pics of the fiesta before I handed it back.

c80d87378f9c1b0552482ddec3aed423.jpg

e2b68de93102ebf514490621ef0489b2.jpg

Now on to the Clio. I’ve finished all the engine work and it’s running [emoji4]. I don’t have any pics but you guys know what a 182 engine looks like.

Ive also settled on what the Clio will be. My change of job means having this as a weekend track car isn’t a great idea. I’ll put it back as a road car and make it nice. I’ve bought a few bits that I will fit after the MoT ( this week fingers crossed).

201f8675a56e0dd45cd79d9bdd59ea22.jpg

608f104caae0faee90a9a43e507c258c.jpg

So 1 handbrake cable, refit the headlights and bumpers and put a catalytic converter on and away we go. I’ll take some nice pics once it’s road legal and cleaned up.

With the OEM+ look 100% committed to what other mods have people done. I like subtle stuff that looks like Renault would have done it themselves. Throw your suggestions out there.

Thanks
David.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
This weekends job was to polish the headlights. On the final straight for the front going back on.

f3a1a1279fc1f0a5f52343679552947b.jpg

Got some replacements for these.

7cd85228ca38ae0d6fc3960834e28a9e.jpg

Got some help polishing.

abe9856b68c214775aff61953fc5caae.jpg

And finished like this.

acf9eba8b693b31da09d99ccbb25757b.jpg

Also has some time in the mini today at a local car show (Glamis Castle). Man this car is a good one. It gets lots of attention at shows.

80e1858955d1e12f2643d34b790e803b.jpg

Some of my favourites.

a7a9da5cba442e3ca72828b6ffdfbf7b.jpg
9f2ac1946548286b2c25a4b824c2c244.jpg

There was a clio 172 Cup there also but I don’t have any pictures.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
This morning I managed a good stint at the garage before family activities start.

The list from the start:

0b3e212a1e50266188d2e95534e9abed.jpg

As you can see I got about half way through.

First the lights are back on.

0a37024a8b14739fb9a5aed9fd87cf2f.jpg

Bumper ready.

dabee5d477fdf0c04bd449725728b26c.jpg

I’ve replaced the fogs with a clear set I got off of @Djw John.

Unfortunately the headlight washers aren’t working. I’m picking up a free set of cup halogens with the black inserts tomorrow. I was going to keep them as a spare but might just go with them and washer blanks.

Also got the exhaust mod section off for some welding. You can see it has cracked in the usual place.

bedb4034d0a7d30f6b261b7bda93a3b0.jpg

Cleaned up slightly.

33b48de704d528f9ff98b5142508430b.jpg

Welding done.

89e728676f001ed620edf93efd082d19.jpg

cc3d12a8befd85575bc70d6f3de0fade.jpg

I little spatter but overall I’m happy with it. For the job it’s all the time I wanted to put in to it.

Just away to euros to get a new lambda as I’ll be putting a new cat on and the lambda won’t come out the decat pipe. The decat is for sale if anyone wants it. Complete with working lambda.

Another few hours and this will be road worthy.[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Almost finished. I’ve taken the spacers off because the rears would rub. They were 20mm.

99dee1b3ed072dfa25a9116b21325175.jpg

It probably needs spacers looking at it though. I might try 10mm and see how it looks. Any opinions please. It’s a non cup suspension with cup turinis.

I also had a go at the handbrake cable but the one I got from a local motor factor about a year ago is an inch too short and was never going to work.

I gave in and ordered 2 genuine Renault ones. £50 but should be a job I don’t need to look at for a while.

I also ordered a bunch of stuff to tidy up the front end. 2 new slash guards and all the clips.

Fingers crossed I’m all done next weekend.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Car failed its MoT on a rear abs sensor. Pretty pleased as I thought this would be an easy fix. Right rear ordered from euros. Good Bosch one. WRONG connector. NLA from Renault. Any advice please????

Also need a front drivers side arch liner. Both parts. Again anyone have one?

Allan H

ClioSport Club Member
  Ford Puma, Focus
Just a quick question but did you ever get rid of the decat? It wasn't for a Scorpion system by any chance was it?

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
This passed it MOT rested BTW.

Been using it to work and back a day here and there and I’m pretty impressed. Feels all together apart from the budget tyres.

To that end I’ve ordered these and the Kwik Fit deal on yoko ad08r’s

76df403021ece5a78932c272b06bc123.gif

I’ve also ordered some uniroyal rain sports for the turinis as my road / wet tyre.

You might guess from the above. I’m back to wanting to go hillclimb / track days but on a more casual basis. I need the car to be suitable for the road since I sold the fiesta st.

In other news I’ve sold my 205 gti. Loved owning it but I could not justify having 4 cars and being away half the week. It’s also freed up some cash to spend on the Clio and minis.

Bye bye pug.

74d382f494185508086cc8a109da9918.jpg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks good mate.

Looking at your pictures you must stay up at the Heartlands?

That’s right. Moved into this house about 4 years ago. Loving it. Integrated garage isn’t up to much except for storing nice cars but I rent a unit walking distance from the house.

Where did you order your 1.2's from? I'm looking for a set

I just bought them from demon tweaks. I know some have managed to get them from rimstock cheaper but they were having none of it when I phoned. Also happy to get them next day to be fair.

In said unit round the corner. Recaro trendlines were fitted tonight. Done them without the plastic spacers and pretty happy with the driving position. Photo isn’t great tbf.

2919492e9f086546db8d3f78d7f1bf94.jpg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Love the pug. Bet you got a fair price with it being a late one, and in great condition.

I got back what I paid for it. £7500. Its a decent car and I like the late ones with the check door cards and prefer the green interior. Logical choice for most would have been to sell a mini and keep it but I’ve had minis for 12 years now and they are getting harder and harder to part with.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Went a wee run out to Troon tonight for a local meet. Got a chance to take some photos and also the bonus of getting my airbag light programmed out after swapping to the trendlines.

57566db15a5cfcd1236c98b29281beb5.jpg

e3f83487e2deeff9700ce99e6a3238d1.jpg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
After getting home last night I realised the Clio was leaking oil all over my drive. Raging.

I suspected the drivers side seal needed changed so ordered one a while ago. Replaced it tonight and there is still a gearbox leak. And not just a small one. Really can’t be arsed with these kind of problems.

On a plus side. I spent a whole 3 days with just the 3 cars and now up to 4 again. Well 3.5 as this is a project I’ll share with my brother.

ab7ccc34ed913e724b232a386ac186c1.jpg

Collect on Friday [emoji23]

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Update on a number of fronts.

Number 1: big change at my lockup / unit. I have a ramp. What a difference this makes to working on the cars. Cost £400 second hand and split between the 3 of us it was a no brainier.

From this.

86f6c99c5a2a82f3ee42473064906a7d.jpg

To this.

719f804908f3b46c1b66780dd3098afe.jpg

Went up tonight and changed a track rod and rack end (more about that in a second). I didn’t even change and no getting my clothes dirty crawling on the floor.

So this bloody track rod. Replaced so I could get the car tracked properly. The garage that done my tyres couldn’t get one of the lock bits off so had to track it with the steering off centre. After having a look I decided to replace that side rack end. Looking at both it was clear one was much older. All the parts ordered from RPD. I like buying gen parts when I can. Rack end was straight forward. Track rod doesn’t come with a new lock nut. The old one doesn’t fit as the TRE is a metric fine thread and all my packs of nuts were m10 standard.

A day later finally fitted after buying another TRE from euros.

f75c810f2de68e904017ff2d28c800df.jpg

Also replaced rear calipers as one was sticking. It took 50% of the pad life as well so new pads in.

053bf1e158fcae619aba8c2ae4190665.jpg

New stud and nut to make changing the wheels easier.

8d5c12ce36ae979114c76356f27def89.jpg

So all set for my First hill climb event tomorrow. Just a practise day at the local club but my first time and Looking forward to it.

Finally. I have bought a new daily. The Clio is a fun wee car but at 31 I just can’t be arsed with having no reliable daily. The Clio hasn’t every left me stranded but it came close with the linkage bush dropping off the bottom of the gearbox. I had to drive 15 miles home with only 3rd gear.

So I’m getting a BMW m140 shadow edition. I’ve also had my eye on these cars for a while. BMW have 1.9% apr deals for registered cars by the end of sept. I went out on Friday after seeing the deal on Facebook. Had a test drive and signed up. Go to collect on Friday. Sapphire black with black wheels. Few extras on it as well. The acceleration was unreal. I knew I was buying the car as soon as I tried it out.

I’ll post some pics next week.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
One picture from the hillclimb practice. My first time and I was a bit nervous. It was also very slippy with heaven rain showers and some dry spells. There is very little run off if you make a mistake so I took it easy for the first few runs.

f2c12e9c46915a8c0d1182e0f9faa2e3.jpg

After 6 or so runs I have a problem selecting gears half way up the hill. I nursed it back in 3rd and as suspected the circling came out and the selector bush popped out. So that was my session over.

There isn’t any official timing for track days but I timed roughly a 61 second best time. The best clips are running low 50s so I’ve got some work to do to get to that level.

It’s confirmed in my head that I should definitely go back to my original plan of running this as a hillclimb car. In the road class A2. So the recaro trendlines and snappy wheel will be up for sale soon and I’ll be going harnesses buckets and cage.

Looking forward to picking the m140 up tomorrow. [emoji7]

Rb 182
One picture from the hillclimb practice. My first time and I was a bit nervous. It was also very slippy with heaven rain showers and some dry spells. There is very little run off if you make a mistake so I took it easy for the first few runs.

View attachment 1385880

After 6 or so runs I have a problem selecting gears half way up the hill. I nursed it back in 3rd and as suspected the circling came out and the selector bush popped out. So that was my session over.

There isn’t any official timing for track days but I timed roughly a 61 second best time. The best clips are running low 50s so I’ve got some work to do to get to that level.

It’s confirmed in my head that I should definitely go back to my original plan of running this as a hillclimb car. In the road class A2. So the recaro trendlines and snappy wheel will be up for sale soon and I’ll be going harnesses buckets and cage.

Looking forward to picking the m140 up tomorrow. [emoji7]

Nice update, get some pictures up when the BM arrives

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Yes Forrestburn.

I’m a member at monklands SCC for the last year so I’ll get you across track nights next year.

They are £30 for a membership and £30 for a track night. It’s a good way to get into it without going to a full competitive entry in the Scottish hillclimb and sprints.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Picked up the M140 yesterday. What a car. I’ll have to be careful driving this thing. Looks really mean in black as well. Chuffed to bits with it.

11868bd6038635d463ad8821c53e5c6c.jpg

e599d2790e20b5e77e2e73e657e1b79b.jpg

I’ve done 150 miles and it needs a clean. I’ll get some more photos up when I’ve given it a good wash.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Spent the weekend in London with a good mate and today got chatting about cars. I think I’ve decided on selling the Clio. Interested in your thoughts on how to sell and thought values. I’ll put a proper for sale add together but if anyone is interested in the car give me a shout.

I can either keep it together as it is. Notably with the recaro trendlines and snappy steering wheel. One set of wheels (turinis with new rainsports) and all the TD 1.2s separately.

Or put back to standard and sell the recaros £750 ish and snappy wheel.

Together £3k standard £2k Ono doubt about right. Car has 99k miles and a lot of new parts as you see in this thread. Not perfect as it still has a leak from the gearbox and EML from one of the lambdas.

Let me know what you think.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
So good news and good news.

I couldn’t really be bothered advertising the car properly. But through Facebook I sold on the Recaro Trendlines.

Then this week my brother said he was looking for a new car as he no longer has a work van with his job. I’ve offered him the Clio. He has insured it and will drive it for a few weeks then decided.

Win win as hopefully I can still have a go now and then.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Some interesting developments with this car.

I sold it to my brother on a special buy now pay later deal. Gave him the chance to try it out. He loves it but the gearbox shat itself so a replacement for just £100 has been fitted and it’s back on the road. But I’m keeping it. He wants something more sensible.

74739690af0e6ac918dff8f6ba9e5c47.jpg

Kames sprint test day this Sunday. I’ll be keeping it for at least a year and doing some sprints and hill climbs. Kind of wishing i hadn’t sold my TD 1.2s. Live and learn eh.

I’ll stick some photos up and maybe a video on Sunday.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Video from Kames sprint test day today. I’ll do a bit of a spiel later.

My dad might have a few more photos of other cars including my brothers turbo’d classic mini and my mates saxo vts.

Here is me lining up for my first go.

d12577b894cfb2ae9dba76dce82a9f37.jpg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
So I’ve well and truly got the bug. Looking at using this for hillclimbs and sprints this year. I’m a member at two local clubs so can just do test days and track days without competing.

With a view to competing in the future. I’ll want to start building it to class 1b and compete in the road going class. Any recommendations:

Cage - having seen people compete without one I know it’s not a requirement, but I would prefer to run with one. Would a rear only safety devices work? Or a full cage? I would prefer not to remove and cut up the dash but I think if I fit a cage it needs to be a competition one.

Bucket seats - what you guys running. Price?

Harnesses - again recommendations but I will go a try a few at a local place.

Suspension - I need to keep the standard location so can’t get rear coil overs. Think b14 bilstiens. Any other stuff recommended? Rear ARB?

I’m going to leave any other mods for future. But feel free to suggest from experience.

Thanks
David.