ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 no brakes

Clio 182 FF
My brakes suddenly failed on my 182 ( full fat). I can see that the brake pipe mounting point on the rear axel has rusted and cut through the rear drivers side brake pipe. I will post a photo shortly.

A mechanic relative tells me that they are a combined type. I sent off for something that now appears to be the metal cable that goes back to the master cylinder. What part do I need? When I look up parts I can only find braided short pipes. Nothing of a combined type my mechanic mentions that crosses the cowling at the rear.

Brake lines are individual from the ABS pump so 4 lines in total, the hard pipe will have rusted before the brake hose on the rear, mine is starting to go as well. You will need a new hard line making up, pretty inexpensive job just a bit fiddly and the brake system needs to be emptied from the ABS pump back and then re-bled. I suggest checking the other side as well and having your mechanic change both at the same time. Also if the pipes leading to the ABS pump seem ok then just have him make a new section up and join up with the old hard lines.

Or even better just have him make up hard lines all the way back to the calipers...no rubber hoses.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Brake lines are individual from the ABS pump so 4 lines in total, the hard pipe will have rusted before the brake hose on the rear, mine is starting to go as well. You will need a new hard line making up, pretty inexpensive job just a bit fiddly and the brake system needs to be emptied from the ABS pump back and then re-bled. I suggest checking the other side as well and having your mechanic change both at the same time. Also if the pipes leading to the ABS pump seem ok then just have him make a new section up and join up with the old hard lines.

Or even better just have him make up hard lines all the way back to the calipers...no rubber hoses.

Must be an age related thing. My hard pipe had rusted through a few months back. I'm pretty impressed they've lasted that long in amongst the road spray and other crap underneath, tbh.

Must be an age related thing. My hard pipe had rusted through a few months back. I'm pretty impressed they've lasted that long in amongst the road spray and other crap underneath, tbh.
Not bad really is it, and they only rust due to the protective plastic outer layer rubbing on a bracket or whatever else. Need to get mine done before my next track day, was in the back of my mind last time out, especially on the long straight at Aintree doing 120 mph :fearscream:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not bad really is it, and they only rust due to the protective plastic outer layer rubbing on a bracket or whatever else. Need to get mine done before my next track day, was in the back of my mind last time out, especially on the long straight at Aintree doing 120 mph :fearscream:

Flol - sphincter-tensing moment!

This is the kind of thing that people would say "....that's what you get by buying a Renault". Really? Heading for 12 years of age and 140k+ miles? I'm sure many other makes of car would be similar.