ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 182 performance modifications?

182 and cherokee 4.0
Hi everyone, I am new to this and was just after some advice.

I am looking to improve the performance of my car and am unsure what is the best means. I have spoke to k-tec and they suggestes a group n ecu remap and itg moxogen kit to start.

Anyone else had these, if so what do you think?

I was also thinking of getting a de-cat on top of this, anyones views on that would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tony.

Lionel Richie
no need to spend that much cash on an air filter, for half the price you can get something that does the job just aswell, we suggest BMC CDA, smaco bend, AWT inlet and RS tuning remap with our decat

Last edited:
  182 and cherokee 4.0
Could you give me any details of what this would entail, price, gains etc?

don't bother with an air filter kit at all, gains are nothing, minimal at absolute best. Buy a £30 filter for the OE airbox and make your own CAF, then it's just decat, stainless system and chip (off the shelf or RR remap... latter ideally) for a nice gain in power.

Would imagine with all that you'd be seeing 190+bhp depending on how strong your engine is (182's dont make 182bhp as a rule)

Lionel Richie
gains i won't get into, all i'll say with the above modifications is "very noticable"

that lot off the top of my head would be around £700-£800

a full exhaust system would be worth looking at as the std item is rubbish

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
Tony, some word of advice:

1. don't improve just the power and speed - improve the braking first. As in the words of Spiderman, with great power come great responsibity... in your case make sure you can stop the damn thing quickly.

go for brembo high carbon or max disks, upgraded pads, dot 5.1 fluid, possibly brake lines also. - C£250

2. ITG panel filter with a cold air feed will be more than adequate - 3-5bhp £50 ish
3. Angelworks Inlet manifold - 4-8bhp £250 ish
4. Cheap single back box de-cat exhaust (like yozza's) - 3-6 bhp £200-300 ish
5. Remap - go for a live remap to get the best from the mods above (RS Tuning is great) - 5-10bhp £varies, budget between £150-£400 for a decent one.

After that concentrate on taking weight out of the car as getting more out of the engine will cost a fair amount.

Lionel Richie
na, just don't wanna get into the whole "how much will i gain" discussion, as you point out, you can have a good engine or a bad engine

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
as fred says - anyone that can quote you a specific gain before they've done a dyno test, i'd stay clear of. Each engine will vary in it's power output, so will each mod, so doing this kind of work will have each engine producing slightly different results... those I quote are a pure guide....

Unless you jump say 20 bhp in one go you won't notice the increase in power, it'll be the torque you'll feel. Plus budget for a new set of front tyres after the work... me thinks you'll need some :)

very true Fred, I'd expect a good 10bhp through the rev range for all that and some healthy torque increase and a nice shift in the power band though... but having seen some truely shite RS engines you could end up doing all that and gaining next to nothing.

As for the break upgrades... unless you are experienced on track I'd chose whether you want to go faster on the straights or brake later, as tbh I find the standard setup with a set of DS2500's more than good enough... but I suppose coming from a Williams where the brakes are s**t you tend to notice it more

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
i supose you could always invest in those legendary stripes.... they add 50 bhp alone so i'm told..... lol

Clio Sport 182
Agree with the DS2500's once they are warm they are great for a standard brake set-up. Maybe a little too much at times for the poor Toyo T1R's I have with toffee sidewalls

182 and cherokee 4.0
Thanks for all the advice. I currently have a K&N pannel filter on the car, are you saying that you can create a cold air feed for the standard air box?

yeah, loads of people off here have done that and it does apparently make a nice difference. do a quick search, there's probably a few threads on it... I've never made one personally though, no need on my car setup :)