ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 pretty much dead - what to do next

MX-5 (ND), Clio 182
Hi all,

My 182 seems to have pretty much bitten the dust:

- main issue is, despite having just had a new battery, it can't hold charge anymore and is currently very much a stationary car

- one of its cylinders has always had an issue (some sort of misfire - had new plugs, coil pack & leafs, but engine still rough as hell)

- new exhaust is pretty much needed

- gearbox has minor oil leak

- steering could be improved

- alloys are knackered

Basically I'm thinking of just scrapping it and pretending I never had it (been a problem car since purchase).

However, just wondering what the consensus would be on here?

Is there a way to minimise financial loss? I don't see anyone really wanting to buy it and picking it up to repair, but maybe I'm being too pessimistic - I currently owe circa £670 on the loan I got to buy it.

Cheers,
Sam

Someone would buy it happily. Exhaust get used on here, gearbox just look the other way (until it craps itself), new inners/outers and rack bushes for steering around £100 ish, alloys used on here or refurb some places charge 25 quid per wheel hardly a set back, new alternator? Injectors? The way to minimise financial loss is to not sell and sort the problems, then itll be worth something. Cant count how many times Ive got fed up with mine, you just gotta take a breather and realise all these things are pretty easy to sort but may take some time to figure out

Throw the local garage you trust a few quid to do a compression test to see if something else is amiss.

If the battery won't hold charge, test if the alternator is putting out the correct current or if it's failing to charge the battery.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
I thought the minor gearbox leak came as standard tbh.

Fix it up and enjoy, just have patience :)

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Has it ever had a compression test? Injectors are a really common fault that would also cause the symptoms you described.

Most have a small gearbox oil leak from my experience unless box has been rebuilt or your lucky!! Providing it's not a bad leak they all benefit from a gearbox oil change if nothing else to make sure there is sufficient oil in there.

None of the issues you describe sound too bad. Obviously a car running correctly is worth a decent amount more than a non-runner. The main concern is the misfire, but very simple fix if injectors. Does the EML flash? @Bizza22

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
As above, they're all relatively easy fixes or at least easy to diagnose.

Unplug each injector on idle and listen for change in engine note. If one makes no change that's the faulty one

Check alternator output when on idle with multimeter, across battery and directly off alternator to see if any drop too.

Comp test if necessary

Then go from there before you write it off. Well looked after these cars can go forever, my 208k daily heap is a testament to that

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you don't want to attempt any of the fixes yourself - work out what really needs doing and see if some jobs are related/close-by to one another?

It's usually the labour that stings anyway, so if a couple of jobs are side by side, you'd save that way.

MX-5 (ND), Clio 182
Thanks for all the replies, everyone - I do love how there's consensus of "just fix the damn thing" 😄

I suppose it's more the fact that I can't currently move the car, and the people I really want to hand it to are at the other side of town (Doncaster).

That, coupled with the fact that I'm trying to save for a house and I'm temporarily at my parents' to do that with two hot hatches outside, one of which being a duff 182.

Just don't fancy spending £100s getting a new alternator etc at this time. Technically the other bits can wait for now.

@YorkshireKyle I'll ponder on this for the time being - unless time is of the essence?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Then why didn't you say that? Bloody vulture 😂.

Fukit, keep breaking em so mine will be worth a couple of £ one day👍.
Nah I was gonna fix it. Breaking cars is tiring. Especially when I get 60,000 messages about 1 part and no fucker ever ends up actually buying s**t

f**king Clio owners are that tight they squeak when they walk😂😂