ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Reliability?

Ok as you can see on the left I've got a 106 GTi and thinking of selling up. The reason I came on here was cause I was looking at getting a 182 with both cup packs - I've got a test drive sorted soon (as I've never been in a clio before!) so hopefully I'll like it.

One of the main things that's worrying me a little is with reliability. I know french cars aren't the best - Peugeot ain't all that good to be honest but from what a lot of people have told me, Renault are even worse. Is there anyone that can give me some proper examples and advice (not having a ho at renault so don't say they're amazing just to stick up for your pride and joy)

Thanks guys :)

Mini Cooper S sport
I think the vast majority of people on here would be honest about their cars' reliability! It varies, but you can expect rattles and not great build quality.

If you have some warranty on the car, I'm sure you'll be taking advantage of it at some point. I've had minor problems with both of my Clio sports, but I'd still say they're great cars for the money.

Some people on here have had no problems at all - others have have spent more time at the dealers than they have driving them!

Megane 225 Cup
I dont have a 172, i have a 1.4 alize but i can say i have had no problems with her (touch wood) although you should expect the odd rattle. Personally I reckon they are pretty good.

Yeah cheers guys... well I'd be looking to spend 8-9k so I'd be looking at one a year or two old with low mileage (and possibly some warranty left... can it be transferred to 2nd owner?)

Still gotta decide cause I was thinking about saving a little more and going for a CTR but for the money I'd be looking at them with ~35k+ on so not sure....

...don't like making decisions like this

Turbos.
My friends have 106s/Saxos and they have been worse than the Renault.

If you are buying privately i would ask the owner about wheel bearings, airbag warning light, exhaust and top suspension mounts. Let them know its not an issue that all these things have gone wrong, the important thing is if they have been sorted as it will save you inevitable hassle...

The CTR is a great car but if you are a really keen driver you will notice the duff steering and personally i find low speed ride poor in the Honda.

106 GTi
Think you get Friday afternoon cars with Renault the same as Peugeot. My 205 was always breaking, where as my 306 didnt cost me a penny. My 182 does not really get used enough to comment. Seems reading on here you either get a good one, or not!

Lux'd Glacier White R26
You will always have niggles with a 182. Suspension creeks, dodgy wheel bearings, engine mounts, 4k rattle, average build quality, but to be fair, you get what you pay for, and the 182 is a hell of a car for the money! As soon as you go past 5k, you soon forget about about those "niggles"...

Tyson.

I bought a 2 year old 172 a year ago and its been ok. I've had a few niggles with it, rear shocks needed replacing, rattles, ticking, but (touch wood) nothing too serious yet.

Yes, the warranty can be transferred - I had a few things done under warranty.

For the money it is a great little car, and right now I wouldn't swap it. :D

LY 200
Eat The Rich said:
Yeah cheers guys... well I'd be looking to spend 8-9k so I'd be looking at one a year or two old with low mileage (and possibly some warranty left... can it be transferred to 2nd owner?)

Still gotta decide cause I was thinking about saving a little more and going for a CTR but for the money I'd be looking at them with ~35k+ on so not sure....

...don't like making decisions like this

Rekon you should book a test drive for both personally mate and then choose.

I did and im picking my 182 up tommorow. The things the CTR had over the clio were the supposedly indestructable engine, comfortable seats, nice gearbox and how the solid build.

182 was just as quick, felt more nippy and chuckable, lots more gadgets, looked better and was a fair bit cheaper than the equivilant 04 plated type r.

Cheers Jay... yeah that's exactly what I'm planning to do this weekend - test drive a few. I think I'll find the same as you did but we'll see :)

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
I've only had very minor problems with mine. Dodgy front left speaker, faulty rear right speaker. Replacement part of the 02 sensor.

But the car it's self has never failed to drive! and put a smile on my face :D

106 GTi
You need to drive them both and see, the 182 will be more akin to your old 106 in drive than the CTR. Both where on my shortlist but I knew the CTR would become tiresome day to day.

Got a rattle, but never had any issues with my 182.

all been sweet, been an owner since last october, But ive only done about 2000 miles in it.

RB 200 Cup!
never had any issues with my 1.6 dynamique apart from needing to replace one ignition coil - 5 min job so all in all they aint that bad

M140i/Orange 182
my 182 has never been back to the reno garage, its on 12k nearly now, not een a year old yet!

few rattles here and there but thats bout it :)

i am up to 43k miles from new, 2 small niggles, everything else fine, build quality is average, but it works all day everyday!.. only prob at the minute is what seems to be a loud buzz coming from glove box, maybe thats where electrics are located! doesn't hurt tho!

182 Full Fat
Only had leaking headlight washer jet. that was replaced on warranty. Other than that, it just rattles here and there, but i just turn up the stereo. The driving pleasure far out weighs the rattles!!:approve:

Mini Cooper S sport
I had the knocking suspension mount on the 172 - that was a few trips to the dealer to sort out.

On the 182 I've had alternator failure and leaking headlight washer.