ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 182 starting problem

335i touring
had my car for about 3 months and haven't had a problem until last night.
Parked up and the abs, tc, serv and airbag lights came on. so i turned off the ignition and tried to start it again to see if it was a one off hoping it'd dissapear, but when i tried starting it again it wouldn't turn over. i could hear the starter motor clicking and a relay down near the fusebox. i managed to get a jump start off someone and managed to get it home but it won't start without a jump. theres a bit off a funny smell coming from the aux area. Will it be my alternator?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
I would suggest its a dead battery (hence the lights), change the battery first, get a volt meter on the new battery once connected. The alternator should make the battery read 14v. If the alternator is not working then it will read 12v and start dropping

ITB BG 182
It sounds like the problem i had recently, i had all the same problems with lights and a ticking noise but when i changed the battery all was gone. Back to normal thank f**k.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
sounds then like the alternator is dead, if you rev the car up you should see the volt meter raise with it as the alternator rotates and provides charge. If this doesnt occur you know what you need to do. Could be costly though as you will need a new aux belt too and that can push you back 300 quid without getting the alternator.

ITB BG 182
i was told by a renault stealer that if it was the alternator it would be in the regions of 600 quid +