ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Trophy - Very late winter prep detail

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Latest ever winter prep? Perhaps, but I’ve only seen salt on the road twice thus far so no big deal. Plus I’ve now moved into my new house and garage so it was worth waiting for.

First off I’ll say that I didn’t really intend to do a write up due to the fact I don’t own a camera at present, so a few low quality iPhone snaps had to do.

Products used

Dodo BTBM
PH neutral snow foam
Bilberry wheel cleaner
Tardis
Iron-X spray
Autofinesse soft clay
Dodo born slippy lube
Britemax #6 QD
I4d fluffy drying towels
Costco MFs for odd jobs
Supernatural buffing MF
Good quality short pile MF (unknown brand)
IPA 2:1 de-ionised water
4l de-ionised water douse
Silverline rotary and Festool backing plate
Menzerna Final Finish PO85
3M Yellow polishing pad
Werkstatt Prime Strong
Swissvax applicator
Werkstatt Jett Trigger – Carnauba
Aerospace 303
Autosol / Wire wool / WD40

First things first, assembled my new hose reel (soon to be wall mounted)

a936272e.jpg

And 2x400W lighting rig

d0a8b1fe.jpg

Jetted off loose dirt
Wheels cleaned with a weak concentration of Bilberry, EZ brush, small brush for bolt holes, and a sponge for the flat external faces.

e1ca0b2f.jpg

Wheel protection still active! (These are my winter wheels).

Foamed and left to dwell. Shuts, trim, and crevasses agitated with a small brush.

3a3ea5ae.jpg

Washed with hot water and Dodo BTBM using 2BM with a Dodo sheepskin mitt (yeti or wookie or something).
Jetted off and sheeted with an open hose.

aac2bfa9.jpg

Still some protection on most of the car after 6 months using Prime>JS109>Dodo SN

9d696f52.jpg

Car sprayed with Iron-X and left to dwell, followed by a dab/light swipe with a soaking wet MF.

Rinsed off and retired to inside to wait for my Polished Bliss order to turn up.

FINALLY! 5 miles from the depot and it took 7 hours for it to reach me since loading onto the van.

674b32a2.jpg

With daylight in short supply in January I set to tar removal and clay stage.
This is my first time with autofinesse clay and I have mixed views on it.
Until softened in water it is rock hard, and when softened it resembles chewing gum in its early stages. It proved to be very effective at removed contaminants, however even with very regular folding, excessive lube and light pressure it produced considerable damage when compared to my good old Sonus Green clay.

Anyway, the car was then re-washed, doused with 4l of de-ionised water and dried. I then rolled it indoors just as the rain came.

7007dba4.jpg

Then came inspection and masking. The pictures don’t show up anything here, but inspection via new lighting rig and brinkman handheld lamp showed only fairly light marks.

The rear end proved to be the worst area for iron, general dirt and therefore unsurprisingly, swirls.

3796d145.jpg

I’m putting this down the exhaust (decat) and the hatchback shape of the car tend to create a low pressure vortex of air when driving, throwing exhaust moisture and dirt onto the bootlid/bumper.

Some areas would need something a little more aggressive, but for today I just went for PO85 on a 3M yellow pad and smaller areas with an Orane Menzerna spot pad.

This combination worked excellently, some defects remain but on the whole the car is at about 80-85% correction with an extremely glossy finish. What I lacked in ultimate correction I made up for in burnishing.

Polishing finished

0af2ae43.jpg

IPA wipe-down followed

Prime strong applied by hand (and roof by machine, 3M blue pad)

Jett Trigger Carnauba applied with two MF method.

This pics are after 1 layer of Jett. Subsequent layers have added to depth and gloss dramatically. I will update the thread with more pictures if I manage to source the use of a proper camera.

85176cfd.jpg

ee98224f.jpg

da73765b.jpg

f7b4063a.jpg

5401047b.jpg

e7ee4ced.jpg

7252b848.jpg

2f0f46b6.jpg

dcfb2cbd.jpg

6da17fe4.jpg

d1d4e694.jpg

25070e69.jpg

Thanks for reading,

All comments welcome :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks fantastic mate. Proper glossy finish on that. Be nice to see it on the original wheels minus the nipple ring! ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I love detailing Reds. Not done one in so long. Think my boss' 997T was the last one.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
It's a great colour for being able to see what's going on with the paint especially with it being flat it doesn't hide much.
I do miss metallics though. I want some flake pop!

Ultra Red Megane 175
Looks very shiny! Wish I had the time to do something similar!

Are those winter wheels or something? Those alloys look horrendous on the T.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's a great colour for being able to see what's going on with the paint especially with it being flat it doesn't hide much.
I do miss metallics though. I want some flake pop!

I want Silver. I love it.

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Looks great mate, mines in Birchdown the week after next then of to get a little carpark dint repaired then mine will be off to get done just hope it comes back as clean as yours;)

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Good write up mate, that looks really clean.

I'm very jelous of the garage ;) I need to make some space in mine I think.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Fantastic work mate. Looks great.

I like the wheels btw, just not sure on the colour.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Super clean

Can I ask how you use hot water, does this come through the karcher?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Super clean

Can I ask how you use hot water, does this come through the karcher?

Think you've misunderstood mate, the only hot water I used was in the buckets in the washing stage.

Karcher motors are water cooled so there is a limit to the temperature of the water you can run through it. (60degC iirc)

Last edited:

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
looks ace dude as always you do a ace job!!! loving the wheels!

fancy doing mine one day???