ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 v's Mazda MX5 1.8

Black/Gold 182
I think it's a Penelope Pitstop car. My father-in-law has a 1.6, kept going on about how powerful it is ... until I showed in the official 0-60 times..

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
my mum has a mk1 eunos 1.6. Its been pissed about with in japan before it came over here though, its got really really low suspension, its rock solid, deep dish chrome 7.5" wide wheels, and bloody hell does it handle! makes my 172 feel like a daewoo matiz! yeah its slow, but the grin factor is amazing! you can oversteer as much as you want and its so predictable and stable while doing it! I'd deffinately consider having one (albeit with a jackson supercharger;))

Clio Dynamique 1.6 16v
MX-5s are meant to be brilliant, and I heard you can get them supercharged quite easlily, which would help in making it faster if thats what your worried about.

172 cup TT
To be fair, didnt Top gear do a really rave review on the new one in the last series?.. which also commented on how "amazing" the original one was too... whilst watching it i was like "Come on... youve had a backhander from mazda havent ya?"

E91 M Sport
JBarber said:
Evo slated the new one in their eCOTY. Maybe they got a duff car?

No they got another two to try this month - and came to the same conclusion; Mk1's are the best for fun, then they gradually go down hill.

Had probably the best drive ever in a mk2.5 MX5 a few years ago. Had never really driven a RWD car back then, yet I was burning down B-roads with the ass pushing wide like I had been doing it all my life.

Definitely a sports car in every sense. Shame people think there's something wrong when you tune into Classic FM instead of Radio Chav.

I had a 1.8 MX5 before my 172 and I loved every minute of it, christ I had it for 4 years, real fun car, but that is all it is fun. My 172 is an extreme car, how we're talking...:)

muz

big fat japanese bus
everyone is missing the other alternative the MR2 (My next car)

to open another can of worms ....

Clio 172 mk2
The MX5 is a good car but not to everyones tastes

I'm not into cabriolets (unless it's called an ac Cobra)

Turbos.
muzz said:
everyone is missing the other alternative the MR2 (My next car)

to open another can of worms ....

The MR2 is almost on par with the MX5. Has absolutely no boot space though!

Wasn't it in a recent EVO supplement? It was dedicated to cars which were being axed/superseeded but shouldn't be.

Nissan 350Z
Right, well I am afraid my test drive never happenned.

Went to the dealer, and he took me out to see some of the cars. The one he seemed REALLY keen on selling me was a 1.6 special edition of some sort. I told him I was only interested in the 1.8. However, the special edition one looked VERY nice with really good alloys, a decent colour and a lovely interior. He remarked it was "fast enough". Hmmm.... well maybe to the average joe in the street, but someone who is used to a 180 bhp french hot hatch, I think not!!!

So he pointed me next towards a 1.8... he told me it was green on the phone so I had a picture in my mind of british racing green... but no... snot green would have been a more appropriate description. The alloys were small, and it really didnt look very nice. I told him I thought this.

Next he pointed me in the direction of a black 1.8 Sport 6-speed - now that was more like it, that DID look nice, black didnt look quite so efemenate, especially with its chunky 16" alloys. I had a bit of a sit in it, and have to say it was quite cramped, but then I am a bit of a fatty.

Anyway, before he would take me out for test drives he wanted to talk figures. OK thought I.... he asked me how much I wanted for mine so I told him... so he disappeared off, had a look at the car, and came back.... £7k was his offer! I told him no chance in gods earth. He clearly wouldnt budge on that, so basically I walked out without the test drive.

£7k though for an 11,000 mile silver 182 (54 reg) - is he taking the piss or what?

I'm not too pissed off though, as I do like the clio and had been having second thoughts about it anyway.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
great cars ... i had a 1.6 mk1 before the cup.
Only 115 bhp but more fun to drive than the clio..Great handling short throw shift (unlike the clio's) great driving pos..
People who call em hairdressers cars etc havent driven em....anyone who has will tell u a different story.
Get the mk1 cos its has pop up lights like off the 80s!

LOL

7k?? what a nob head!

sell it private and youd get 9..

but dont sell it. not for an mx5 anyway. ha!

Lux'd Glacier White R26
£7k...Fookabout! Has he gone mad? How much are these new MX5's? There is no way i would do a straight swap let alone pay extra on top of my 182! Nutters!

Tyson.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
7 grand??!!! I'd have he b**ch man slapped him across his face...

I work for renault and even i think thats taking the piss!

a few years ago, didnt they import s**t loads of mx5's and nobody bought them?? and there were fields just full of hundreds of them not going anyway? so they sold them off REALLY really cheap?

sure i remember jezza saying it on top gear a few years ago?

MX5 turbo
i'd say sell the clio privately and go for the mx5.
i currently own a clio 182 and a mx5 (although supercharged )
much as i enjoy the clio,the mx5 is in a different league in terms of handling.
not speed obviously (well a standard one that is )
you can enjoy the mx5 at slower speeds anyway,unlike the clio in my opinion.
all i'd say is take a test drive and make sure its on a road with plenty of bends.

pbirkett said:
OK, this ISNT a typical versus thread, it isnt about a race or anything, I just want opinions.

Basically as much as I like the 182, and boy I really do like it, I just fancy something a bit different, and have been looking at the MX5, in 1.8 form. I just fancy something RWD, and the fact its a convertible is even more appealing.

I know its not as fast as the Clio in standard form, but they are supposed handle well and are supposed to be fun to drive.

Please mods dont move this to the other marques forum as i cant reply there!

So what do you lot reckon to it?

less ghey than a 182, go for it ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i reckon the mx5 is a cool car, us clio drivers can hardlyy say its a girls car to behonest.

Tesla MP3 2021
i think the new style mazda's are ok...
my dad has got the new 3 and it is a nice car to drive...interior is nice and that.

BUT!!!! 182 all the fecking way:)