ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 bit rough

Black 197
Im new to all this so bear with me......
Ive had my 197 now for just over 3 months, Im now on 2.5k, and it still seems to run a bit lumpy, very jerky throughout the power band. Ive tried different petrols and confronted renault(why bother) to no avail.

I had a 172,and yes it definately did pull harder than this does. Has anyone experienced this problem......found any cures?

SMURF!!!
Ive done about 2.5k miles in my 197 too, from cold it is a little jumpy in first, but rumours have been going round that the "kangaroo start" is something renault are looking into. But other than that my car is a very smooth ride... I also only use super unleaded fuel from the beginning.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
you need to get renault to check to see if you need the update re the air con. thta apparently helps the kangaroo thing.

i also find if you leave the car for a minute or so and don't just drive off hte kangaroo is no issue.

i haven't really noticed it tbh. i found it just like the 182 from cold. just quite tight so you have to nurse it for a bit.

the engine is tight and you still have low miles on yours . mine is on 7k and pulls much better than when i first got it.

perserve for know and go on the renaultsport forum as thyew are much more helpful than the chavs on here.

SMURF!!!
you need to get renault to check to see if you need the update re the air con. thta apparently helps the kangaroo thing.

Have you been? When i went to renault dealers in essex cos bf wanted to book in for a service i asked the guy there, he said he only knew about it cos someone went in the week before and asked the same thing, he then said he thinks they are looking in to it and said to ring up for an update later on.. I said i bought the car here, so would i not get a call or letter if they are being recalled and he said no!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
you can ring up renault uk to find out. i haven't bthered yet but will be soon. been to busy recently.

Clio 172 mk2

i also find if you leave the car for a minute or so and don't just drive off hte kangaroo is no issue.

i haven't really noticed it tbh. i found it just like the 182 from cold. just quite tight so you have to nurse it for a bit.

the engine is tight and you still have low miles on yours . mine is on 7k and pulls much better than when i first got it.

perserve for know and go on the renaultsport forum as thyew are much more helpful than the chavs on here.

Now now Seb....are you referring to the 'chavs on here' as 172 & 182 owners by any chance lol

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
lol nope :) just the knob from post 2. quite a helpful comment.

RS 200
Theres loads of talk about the cold kangarooing over on the Renault Sport forum and in the experts section.

I also think there is some confusion over there too, some people say they have had the re-program already yet the Renault experts and my dealer say its not yet available. They mention the air con and the way the ecu manages the fuel for this however my dealer says that there is a re-program that is connected to the air con but this only applies to the Megane and Scenic. So this could be where the confusion is coming from.

At this point I have two sources, the Renault experts and my dealer that say the re-program is not yet available and at this moment in time I'm sticking to my guns and beleiving these guys.

This was my thread on it last week: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=232039

But.... Apart from this common cold start kangaroo mine is pulling very nicely with nearly 1K on the clock, if you think its running rough after its warmed up I would get it back to Renault.

Try using the same petrol and super if you can, maybe your getting some rough stuff it doesnt like.

Chris

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
clio 3 rs 192 has been recalled due to air con reprogram, but renault sport engineering is looking in to the cold start issue

Clio 197
If it's still doing it after the tempreture has reached about a third on the gauge there's a different fault as well. There car does get quicker the more it's loosened up especialy if you ran it in properly and then gave it some after it was ran in to loosen it up. Also agreed Shell V-Power fuel is the best IMO

Black 197
I was fobbed off a bit by the service manager about this re programming, he said its just something to live with. I shall try Vpower for a few fill ups as you all seem to know what you are on about.

Black 197
C:\Documents and Settings\Gareth\My Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\2005-04-14\100_0123.JPG

Clio 197
Just found this thread which is similar to one I started on the problems section - I've had my 197 since April 2008 with about 1100 miles now - nothing seems to have improved. Even when warm it can be jerky and lacking in power at low revs when in traffic - there is a junction I use, on I will admit a steep hill, where I have to drop to first gear to stop the car stalling even when I pull out without the need to stop.

ST
Hmm that doesn't sound right at all mate...my 197 is just over 8.5k now and it pulls like a train even if still a bit cold it can pull out of junctions etc no probs..

Its still jerky to start with if driven straight out the garage but i let it run for a min or two before setting off, thats sorted out the 'kangerooing'..

What fuel are you running RWilson?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
fastchip remaps have cured the kangarooing on the 172/182 by removing the ignition retarding when cold....could this help maybe the 197 owners?

Latest 197 engine calibrations are available on my site.
with:
[SM 4702D airco pump seizure fix, RECALL]
[SM 7103 engine warm-up phase, fix]

Much improved driveability with this latest software. RST owners with software number lower then < B600_xxxx need to perform a FULL ECU rewrite.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Latest 197 engine calibrations are available on my site.
with:
[SM 4702D airco pump seizure fix, RECALL]
[SM 7103 engine warm-up phase, fix]

Much improved driveability with this latest software. RST owners with software number lower then < B600_xxxx need to perform a FULL ECU rewrite.

There we go :) (im not on commision :rasp:)

Clio 197
I'm using 95 unleaded as this is the first time I've heard about that fuel may be a problem - Renault haven't asked this question.

Fastchip are these Renault upgrades to the ECU?

Tesla MP3 2021
I have had my 197 for nearly 2 months and it is on about 1100 miles. I have only ever noticed the "kangaroo" thing a few times tbh. Once it is running hot it is smooth as anything and is a great car to drive, far better than my 182 ever was!

Clio 197
One of the many things I've been told by Renault customer service is that they consider the 197 and its cold running as not a fault and that it is fit for purpose. Has anyone else logged a call with Renault?

A lot of people find turning off the ESP when the engine is cold cures the kangarooing somewhat.

Don't use regular unleaded either if you can. Anthing less that 97Ron and my toxic fumes light comes on.

Join the renaultsport forum. You'll get more help there and less people hiding their jealousy through sly and ill-informed comments.

Tesla MP3 2021
I have used 95ron pretty much since I have had it with no problems what so ever.

It says either 95/97ron on the petrol cap lid iirc.

I'm using 95 unleaded as this is the first time I've heard about that fuel may be a problem - Renault haven't asked this question.

Fastchip are these Renault upgrades to the ECU?

YES, get the latest software update through a Renault dealer or purchase a RSTuner if you want more torque.
Renault Sport brings regular updates of their ECU sofware based on user feedback.

Clio 197
Fastchip

Do you know of a Renault reference number for the upgrade - they are asking me to quote a number - almost as if they are denying its existence!!

Fastchip

Do you know of a Renault reference number for the upgrade - they are asking me to quote a number - almost as if they are denying its existence!!

Latest update issued 15/02/2008. If your 197 is from before that date, ask your dealer to update the engine software.