ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 Buying Advice

197 CUP
Hi All,

Firstly, sorry if this is a question that gets asked alot... I'm on the hunt for a DECENT 197. What are they like in terms of running? Expensive? What's good to look for when buying? Any famous niggles i should know about?

I want something low mileage - budget between 5k and 6.5k. Recaros would be a massive Brucey Bonus. Based in Leeds.

Any help or advice would be fab.

Cheers,

John

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You'd be very lucky to find a low mileage Reacro'd 197 for 5-6k. Most around that price are early base models and a bit leggy tbh

Expect around 25-30mpg on an earlier pre 2008 model. Cambelts due on cars 5years and older, so 2006-7 are due now. Thats around £500.

Major niggle is probably the gearbox. Affects all MK3's so thats 197/200. They can get crunchy especially 4th. Usually means worn syncro, which is replacement gearbox.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
£6500, recaros and low mileage....

Good luck! lol.

Buy on condition rather than recaro's or mileage. These cars are a sucker for good care. I'd rather have one on 100,000 miles thats been loked after properly than a 20,000 miler thats missed services.

Megane 275 trophy006
Mine has just reached its 5 year service. Paid about 800 for it (both belts, pulleys, water pump and the usual service bits)
Average about 28-31 across a tank but can be as low at 24 if I'm have a mad week. You'd push to get 400 miles out of a tank.

5-6k won't get you both. Brought mine early last year. Non cup packed as for daily I decided that is to harsh. Standard seats but AC, auto light/wiper, xenons and cornering lights, extra rear tints and the panoramic sunroof (pretty rare option it turns out) Full service history also. Very clean car.
low mileage when I brought it and it's a 56 first registered in 2007. Came in under 8k.

Again buy on condition. I did and my car has not let me down once I love it regardless of its purse draining qualities.

Watch out for any clunky gearboxes, well known fault common on both early and later gearboxes. The synchros go. When cold you will fight to get first gear first thing in the morning.
The kangaroo ing that happens. You will know it when it happens again common issue.
Although uncommon a few seem to break the wealds on the branches of the exhaust manifold.
You can find the brakes like to get a bit sticky with the discs if its wet and your discs are hot when parked. I've not suffered this but have heard of it from others.
Brake pins seize in pads, when replaced they need to be used with a far bit of copper grease to stop it.

Last edited:
  197 CUP
Thanks for the help chaps, i have a bit of info to go from now.

Recaros are something i would like so may have to extend my budget a tad. I'm not wanting to pay over the odds for them though as they are just seats... I noticed a trend that Recaro'd cars are usually 2k more... They are lovely but not worth 2k imo. I could get some FIA approved seats for 1k and buy some sliders!

Great info regarding the belts etc. Tempting to get one from a Renault dealer so stuff like that is already done...

P.S. If you have a nice 197 that's up for grabs in the Leeds area, let me know! Wanting to secure one in the next few weeks!

John :)

Thanks for the help chaps, i have a bit of info to go from now.

Recaros are something i would like so may have to extend my budget a tad. I'm not wanting to pay over the odds for them though as they are just seats... I noticed a trend that Recaro'd cars are usually 2k more... They are lovely but not worth 2k imo. I could get some FIA approved seats for 1k and buy some sliders!

Great info regarding the belts etc. Tempting to get one from a Renault dealer so stuff like that is already done...

P.S. If you have a nice 197 that's up for grabs in the Leeds area, let me know! Wanting to secure one in the next few weeks!

John :)

Not sure why people are so bothered about having Recaro's to be honest - the standard seats in the 197 are top notch imo.

Check for gearbox wear, 4th syncro went on mine - try shifting into 2nd, 3rd and 4th at varying revs to check.
Steering wheels are made of butter and have a tendancy to melt - mine has started to peel slightly now.
I've also had my top stab bar and dog bone mounts changed after 20k miles due to various knocking noises - easy to check for.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Why recaros? ^^

because 197's are a pig to sell- So many available- so much choice- Recaros add the attractability of a sale-
Also If was spending 7/8k on a car id want all the options- as do MOST people

Recaro cars are not 2k more- you may be getting confused with some R27's-

S

A/C check thats working.....