ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 buying advise?

Golf GTI
First of all i would just like to say hello;)

I am thinking of buying a 197 Clio on a 06 and just wanted to know what to look out for? I was considering the cup after a test drive but they are still high and from what i can tell there isn't a massive difference? in fact the dealer who was using the cup said if he was buying he would get the standard car with the extra toys and just have the £400 Cup chassis upgrade:eek: anyway any help/tips would be appreciated.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Welcome........

For once a dealer is right, but have your thought about a Cup, if you can live without the toys?

Should get one for under 13k brand new with A/C.

The Cup upgrade is a must IMO.

Renaultsport Clio 197
Go for the standard full fat 197 and add the cup pack, that seems to be the recommendation of most people.

Although i went for the standard full fat 197 with the standard chassis setup and its awesome.

The cup 197 is a little stripped out and has a very basic trim.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Does it not say he wants to buy an 06 plate? If so, no cup chassis etc, you'll be getting one of the first, like mine. Just make sure if it has climate, the AC works :)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I have one, but an 07 F1. I love it and would recommend it to anyone :) The handling is brilliant, very grippy and composed, the brakes are also magnificent 100-0 in 4 seconds in fact.

An 06 plate one has a years Renault warranty on it if you're unlucky enough to have any niggles - but the previous owners will most probably had anything iffy about it sorted out.

Ly meg R26
i dont regret buying my 197, great all round car. i had the choice between the cup or standerd with all the toys. i went for all the toys. got alot more car for my money. the only way to tell if its right 4 u is by giving a good test drive. good luck with it

Black 197
Just be careful that an 06 is in a higher tax band than the 07's and onwards, it has higher emissions

Turbo LY R27
Great cars, i have an R27 but i test drove a standard 197 without the cup pack and still thought it was stiff and gripped well! It depends what you want, if you want to achieve its full performance and are considering trackdays then the cup suspension is a must tbh. But if you just looking for some fun then i dont think it really matters either way, but like others have said these comments are just our preferences, test drive the different options and decide what you think is best for you, good luck.:)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
^^^ +1

Do you have a source for that mate? Sounds a bit odd to me?

Various Renaults
Hey guys new to the site. I'm looking at getting a 197 myself.

Just a little correction on the emissions. They (197's) are all tax F which equates to £210 a year. Emissions are 199 Co2

There was a change in late 2007 around teh F1 time on the gearbox which changed rev's in top gear, strengthened 3rd etc. Thats a different topic though sorry!

White clique
Hey guys new to the site. I'm looking at getting a 197 myself.

Just a little correction on the emissions. They (197's) are all tax F which equates to £210 a year. Emissions are 199 Co2

There was a change in late 2007 around teh F1 time on the gearbox which changed rev's in top gear, strengthened 3rd etc. Thats a different topic though sorry!

+1 to all of that, the published C02 has always been band F 199, and the gearboxes were revised late 2007 early 2008, all new cups and 197s manufactured from about March onwards i think have a different gearbox with a different ratio. There were some quality issues with the early boxes, plus it hammered the MPG figure.

If you are going for an early one, get the cold start patch fix done or makes sure its loaded (free under warranty), it makes a big difference to the torque.

RB R27
i remember reading somewhere, and i can't remeber were so don't trust me on it, but the first 197s (06s) are going to be included in the £400 odd pound tax hike in 2010 but the 07 onward ondes will be £200 odd. as i said, i read it, but i can't remember where.

-Edit-

^^^ Beat me to it lol

White clique
i remember reading somewhere, and i can't remeber were so don't trust me on it, but the first 197s (06s) are going to be included in the £400 odd pound tax hike in 2010 but the 07 onward ondes will be £200 odd. as i said, i read it, but i can't remember where.

-Edit-

^^^ Beat me to it lol

thats a big eye opener i never knew that, thier early brochures publish a 199 rate. I wonder if anyone on here has one of these early ones (with 207mg on the V5)?

I guess the only way to check for sure is to have a look at the rate on the V5.

Evo
I'd go for the Cup.

I've never regretted buying the Cup version, when i picked it up from the dealer the salesman said 'the 197's okay, but the cup is the real drivers choice'.

Couldnt put it better myself

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
If you read some mag write ups the non cup is apparently more adjustable........

I love my 197, its great to drive and looks brilliant. The fuel consumption is just stupid lol, but its worth it. I have the cup version in white with the black speedlines, and when clean it looks amazing. i do need to replace both the top and bottom part of the steering wheel cowlings as they are scratched, but thats it. Overall a great car.

toon

LY R26
3rd gear crunch, if it does crunch take it back to renault and they should just give you the new gear box with no hassel :)