ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 Seized Engine, how much to sell for?

Clio 197
Hi,
I have a clio 197 08 plate that I have had from new. A couple of months back I had the car serviced at my local garage, all seemed fine. Last week on my motoway run home from work the engine cut out and would not restart. I had the car recovered to my place to try and find out what could be wrong. After a quick look I couldn't see anything wrong so called out a mobile mechanic to have a look. Turns out the engine has seized, electrics work fine but does not turn over, he tried turning by hand but no luck. He had a quick look at the oil level and the level is about 2 inches above the max fill line. I have not topped this up since it had it's service so it is the garage that has over filled it and done it in. Oh joy. I'll be having a chat with them shortly, but get the feeling they will just blame me for it.

I was due to part exchange the car in a couple of weeks as I have a new car on order. I'm now looking at selling the car privately in it's current state, the car had done ~110k could do with a new exhaust and pads and disks at some point, the body work is not bad just a couple of small knocks on the doors and one of the alloys has seen better days.

How much do you think it might be worth? I'm thinking it would make a excellent track day car, or good option for an engine conversion if somebody is up of a bit of a project. Is £2000 hopeful thinking?

2014 Clio 200t edc
Why not throw a replacement engine in (eBay etc) and then trade it in. Surely that would be better cost wise?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be chasing the garage down. If they've serviced it, they've changed the oil. It's got too much oil in it. Either they didn't check the oil let alone change it, or they put too much in.

When they fix the engine, then you can look at selling it.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
get back on too the garage,no luck ring local trading standards and issue them a letter