ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 vs Astra VXR

Clio 182
Interesting post my mate with a VXR just sent me!

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=42622

Lol just read through that, My astra in terms of handling performance is no where as good as the 182 was. However the gearbox is lovely and power on tap is awesome. Not as much fun at the Clio though but still a decent car!

Stone the crows. Some of the retardation in that thread makes Cliosport look like MENSA, and that's a bold statement. Since when does having more power mean you can go around corners quicker?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Wow! That's some pretty retarded logic.

The Care Police are in attendance. Just so everyone's aware.

Golf 7R
Similar to most forums tbh. Some well informed people, and some badge biased fools with not a lot between the ears!

ive had both cars and i can say for a fact my 182 would have blitzed my
197f1!!!

If by fact, he means a lie, then I agree entirely. Jesus, I've got new found faith in the Cliosport average IQ after reading that thread. Thank you ever so much :approve:

LOL@ does the Twingo RS have enough power to go around bends - what a tard. I bet the Twingo could corner much quicker than the Astra. Fair enough the Astra would rape it on the straights.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
yes that thread looked like the "chavs with fast cars gathering" for some of the posts on there, atleast some of them were fair to the clio to say it would beat it round the corners but the ones who thought the vxr corsa would be faster of the track.... dear o dear. its like my friends who keep telling me how the new punto 1.4 is going to kill me becouse its got 150 bhp from a 1.4!

as memory serves me correctly...I seem to recall Clarkson test driving the VXR Astra on TopGear....explosively quickly in a straight line, but when he tried to corner with full lock on, the VXR just kept ploughing forward in virtually a straight line lol...I could be wrong?!? I would have little doubt that VXR Astra would leave a 1*2 / 197 in its wake on the straight, but I owuld imagine on a track all ClioSports would handle themselve with pride.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Hardly "In it's wake"

One pulled out a couple of lengths out on me, from 40-100+ buttons, on a DC.

Hardly "destroyed" in anyone's book. Even an Astra owner's book.

The more I read on, the funnier it gets. There are one or two guys in there that know their cars, but there's a few who are complete and utter gold plated fuckwits. Awesome stuff to read.

Hardly "In it's wake"

One pulled out a couple of lengths out on me, from 40-100+ buttons, on a DC.

Hardly "destroyed" in anyone's book. Even an Astra owner's book.
I don't know...but I would have thought that on a good, long straight piece of road, the VXR would pull quite comfortable away???? I could be wrong, I've never been in a VXR, but it just seems like common sense to me. On B-roads, I would have every confidence, and more confidence, in the Clio...just by going on the widely recognised poor handling of all vauxhalls?!?!?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
They're not poor-handling at all. Don't lap up the Clarkson review... he just piled on the lock and booted it. Any car with decent torque and front drive would do that.

They are capable.

That said, the Clio would be, and is, quicker on a twisty track. See EVO's Bedford lap times, for proof.

Trophy #490
I'm a big fan of Astra VXR's, one of the football lads has an Arden blue one with a Remus exhaust and I loved it when I had a drive of it. Really nice inside, lovely noise, and rapid in a straight line, in gear especially. The handling wasn't that bad, far too many people take Jeremy Clarkson's opinion as the gospel truth. He drove the VXR like a right clown IIRC, so to judge a car's handling capabilities by watching him trying to drift a FWD car at 100mph makes no sense at all. On the road, I really liked it. Of course it wasn't anywhere near as good as my Trophy to drive, it was slightly quicker to 80/90mph though.

So yes, on a straight an Astra VXR would edge it slightly, but throw a few corners into the equation and i'd back the Clio 100%.

I've never been in a VXR of any description and would really like a rip in one. I wasn't taking Clarksons word as gospel on handling...i don't know what they handle like...I was just simply playing devil's advocate as virtually any review of VXRs of any description tend to state that there is too much power through the front wheels which of course will affect handling. Also...think Tiff had something to say about Corsa VXR in handling in the Corsa v 197 shoot out. However, to be fair...in the real world I would think that they don't handle too badly. Just an opinion.

I would really like a spin in a VXR to see what they are like for myself.

I think anyone who knows anything about cars knows not to trust anything Clarkson says. The funny part about that thread for me is the people thinking that there's no way a car with less power can out-corner them. Truly deluded and obviously driving around feeling superior to everything else.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
so what will they say about the new focus RS???
prob somthing like this
"well its got more power but it wont be able to corner as well bla bla bla"

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
so what will they say about the new focus RS???
prob somthing like this
"well its got more power but it wont be able to corner as well bla bla bla"
Yeah after a half lap deficate of 5seconds on the vxr probably.

Renaultsport 200
For a moment i wanted to sign up so I could post and put the people on there straight. I thought I would be wasting my time though as they are clearly not educated.

I noticed they also thought a Corsa VXR was quicker round a track than a 197. I can tell you that on any day, wet or dry, day or night a 197 will out perform a Corsa on a track. - I couldn't be @rsed telling them though!

320d
Two of them where argueing over what is better a 182 or 197, I can't believe that can of worms even gets opened on other marques forums.

Some of them on that site talk sence, the astra in a straight line unless it is wet or even damp, the clio in the corners.

I'd say that the straight line difference is closer than the VRX lot would admit, and the handling difference less than the Clio lot would.

I think the motoring press shot the Astra down in flames as soon as it came out with "can't put its power down" etc comments, i'm sure they're very capable in the right hands.

320d
That Kieran23 is an idiot, going on about how great his 1.25 Fiesta is.

"The thing is my 1.25fiesta zetec mk5, no less
icon_lol.gif
can out handle pretty much anything i come up across when im driving, but thats down to the driver."

It catches a few people out when you drop it into 3rd about 60 and take it to redline, she does shift!

"Ive also kept with mates modded saxo vts to 60, and in a torque race the fiesta wins every single time. It does have quite a bit of torque for the engine thats in the car, i just wish it was a bit freer revving though sometimes."

03 RS clio 172 flameR
That Kieran23 is an idiot, going on about how great his 1.25 Fiesta is.

"The thing is my 1.25fiesta zetec mk5, no less
icon_lol.gif
can out handle pretty much anything i come up across when im driving, but thats down to the driver."

It catches a few people out when you drop it into 3rd about 60 and take it to redline, she does shift!

"Ive also kept with mates modded saxo vts to 60, and in a torque race the fiesta wins every single time. It does have quite a bit of torque for the engine thats in the car, i just wish it was a bit freer revving though sometimes."

psml love see this guy at the lights, or the b roads, or anywhere tbh

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
i was reading pv the other week and they had a meet against the st owners club

MCG

Vauxhall Astra VXR
The truth is, the astra vxr owners dont know anything about clio's and the clio owners don't know anything about astra vxr's, I've owned both, both standard, the astra will win in a straight line but the clio has better handling, but thats a pointless comparison because 99% of people on here and the vxr forum modify their cars. So lets do another comparison. Get springs, anti roll bar, exhaust and remap on both cars and the VXR will leave it for dead in both a straight line and on the track. It costs less than £1500 to make the vxr a superb handling car with just under 300bhp, to get the same sort of performance on a clio you're talking £5k, then you got complications such as broke gearboxes and stuff.

R27, Deep Black
I had to stop reading after the second page as it was hurting my eyes being on the VXR forums, due to my hatred for vauxhalls.

I love all the little chavs that try to race me in there vxr's :S

Off topic but trying to read that thread with all the signatures etc, and then coming back to cliosport it's so much nicer to view/read/use!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I like vxr's,im sure after 100 bon bons the vxr would pull away.Before that and in the handling stakes the clio would hold its own

Focus RS Mk1
There gearbox's are ****.

I had a go with a cup 197 and its no match really it got lost quiet quickly.

Straight line stuff and thats how i judge it as corners are dangerous adding high speed aswell.

yep, thats is, corners are dangerous!

Focus RS Mk1
agree, s**t layout for a forum, difficlut to find out where the actual post is written with all the other crap on the screen!

how many VXr owners want to mention that on the straight their car will be faster! bored!

182 (Conversion)
My last car was a DelSol SiR with a decent chassis and setup by Perfect Touch (Dyno'd @ 165bhp). Up a Welsh mountain road I pushed a VXR so hard I thought he was going to go off, in the end I got passed him.

It's so not the car, it's how it's setup and more importantly the driver.

172cup
My mate has a ring edition vxr and it is amazingly quick in a straight line. The handling has good wait to it, put when you push on it does plugh on and on! It seems to be easily unsettled by changes in road surface and camber as well.

Still a good car tbh.