ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So I've had a bit of an issue with the 197.

First off I was driving home and the "ESP Deactivated" warning came up. Thought nothing of it and assumed it was a dodgy sensor or ABS ring. Then I got "Brake Fault" followed shortly by "Steering Fault". All this time the car was driving fine aside from the loss of PAS. I then got home and was told it was more than likely the battery. Swapped that and brilliant, car was fine. For about 2 hours. This led me to believe and others that it was the alternator. I replaced that and it didn't help. I then left it running on the drive (as the car still ran at this point and fired up strong every time) and after about 20 minutes the warnings all went off and it was fine.

Drove to the GF's house and just round the corner I got "Low Battery". Great. Got to hers and on the way home it was fine until just round the corner from my house too it did the same thing. Next time I came to drive the car I had ALL the faults back on but the car still drove but when trying to turn it off it wouldn't and I had to stall it.

Plugged CLiP in it couldn't communicate with the ECU, UCH or any other computer.

Next day I got offered to have it looked at by an auto electrician. Car was dead so jumped it and drove it 20 odd miles there completely fine with all the warnings still on. Had to stall it there to turn it off again. After this the car hasn't started since.

Things we've done:

• Swapped ECU
  • Swapped UCH
  • Swapped UPC
  • Swapped Steering Lock
  • Swapped Card Reader
  • Replaced Battery
  • Replaced Alternator
  • Replaced Clocks
  • Checked for power to ECU/UPC/UCH all fine
  • Checked all fuses
The fault lights no longer come on but putting the car onto ignition I have no message on the dash, no fault lights, the headlights are stuck on, the car icon in the middle of the dash shows all doors open (4 actually even though it's not a 4 door) and the radiator fan comes on full speed and the car will not start.

Absolutely no idea where to look next tbh so any help would be very much appreciated

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
No good!

I've not heard of problems of that magnitude in a while!

Fingers crossed someone comes to the rescue.

Failing anything else, take it to Renault and tell them to diagnose their car.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's still with the auto electrician. He was going to have a look today but I don't think he's had time. I'm beyond fucked off with the car at this point tbh. If I ever manage to fix it I'm seriously tempted to stick it up for sale. I'm having to get taxi's back and forth to work or steal the wench's car when I can but I try not to as I hate putting people out like that.

f**king nightmare car.

dan's cast offs.
will be an easy enough one to find. if clip won't see the ecu then it's a power issue.

had anything done on it recently? clutch, cam belt etc??

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
will be an easy enough one to find. if clip won't see the ecu then it's a power issue.

had anything done on it recently? clutch, cam belt etc??
@bloke

You know, the "will be an easy enough one to find" is exactly what the auto electrician said! Spent a full day on it still and couldn't figure it out (not just a random auto electrician either, work on 197's and does turbo conversions at the garage).

But nope. I also forgot to mention we tried the usual jump lead from the terminal to gearbox etc etc. Like I said, seems like we have power everywhere we should have.

dan's cast offs.
(not just a random auto electrician either, work on 197's and does turbo conversions at the garage).

if that's who i'm thinking then i had one that they diagnosed as 'throttle pedal' put wrong one on and left it at that.

found loads of issues in the loom and faulty throttle body.

also as you've changed just about anything you can you're only really left with the wiring and a few components. had a saab 9-3 once that wouldn't start, loads of faults showing, diagnostics wouldn't communicate with it, half a dozen people looked at it before i bought it...turned out to be a break in one wire.

if you know how to use a multi meter then chances are you could find it easily enough yourself.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Not good, sorry to hear you having so much trouble.

It sounds quite different to what I've had but I just had my crank TDC sensor changed as my 200 was cutting out and not starting.

I didn't get any warnings or faults though so it doesn't seem the same, purely mentioning it based on the fact the car drives fine, which mine did intermittently when it started.

As I say does sound different but maybe worth giving it a look as it's not an expensive bit, I hope you get it sorted soon, be a shame to get rid so soon.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Can't believe it's still not sorted :(
Since the day I spent on it with him I don't think he's had chance to look at it. If he doesn't get chance today I'm going to get it collected and taken to a different garage that has time to look at it. I need the car back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's what I thought at first but even hooked up to a stable power source it's doing the same thing.

Ignition brings the rad fan on, headlights and shows 4 doors open on the dash and that's it

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So...to update.

First off the issue was actually corroded CAN wires down behind the back of the fuse box. These eventually broke and this is why the car wouldn't start again. All these were fixed on Thursday. So Thursday evening I collect the car. No issues and even my aircon had started to work again...result!

10 minutes later I get "LOW BATTERY" on the dash. Give the guy a message and he said it must be the alternator he gave me when I thought my alternator was at fault. This was explained because I did only get the low battery warning after swapping it.

Quick voltage check showed the battery was getting 13.6V. Not LOW but not the correct reading. The low battery warning was coming on because every now and again the voltage would dip to 12.3V. So today I went up and the alternator was swapped over for a 15k mile old R26R alternator. All bolted back on and perfect 14.5V.

So glad to have the car back on the road.

Clio 197
So...to update.

First off the issue was actually corroded CAN wires down behind the back of the fuse box. These eventually broke and this is why the car wouldn't start again. All these were fixed on Thursday. So Thursday evening I collect the car. No issues and even my aircon had started to work again...result!

10 minutes later I get "LOW BATTERY" on the dash. Give the guy a message and he said it must be the alternator he gave me when I thought my alternator was at fault. This was explained because I did only get the low battery warning after swapping it.

Quick voltage check showed the battery was getting 13.6V. Not LOW but not the correct reading. The low battery warning was coming on because every now and again the voltage would dip to 12.3V. So today I went up and the alternator was swapped over for a 15k mile old R26R alternator. All bolted back on and perfect 14.5V.

So glad to have the car back on the road.

I know this is a very old thread,but hopefully gets to the right person. This is exactly what I've got going on. Starts and runs OK for upto 10mins and then all.hell.bteaks loose on the dash! Exactly which fuse box are you talking about?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I know this is a very old thread,but hopefully gets to the right person. This is exactly what I've got going on. Starts and runs OK for upto 10mins and then all.hell.bteaks loose on the dash! Exactly which fuse box are you talking about?
Engine bay towards the back.

From memory it was drivers side but might be wrong