ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 200 paint defect

clio 200
i have a silver clio 200. i have noticed a paint defect on both quarter panels ( doesnt look like dirt in paint,more like small bubbles of rust coming through from underneith )

wonderin if anyone else has came across this problem on either clio 200/197 models and if so what was the response from renault?

any help much appreciated cheers

Barge
I think someone had this problem on their white 197 cup. Can't remember who it was now, or what happened... But get it to the stealers ASAP!

clio 200
had a lok at that linked thread only thing on it about rust was the tailgate and it had a gen reason

not happy about it at all,im going to take it back in and see wat they say,dont want just any1 painting it and refuse to do it myself

clio 200
ill take it in 2moro or thursday, i wouldnt mind if i could pick the garge it went to.

not sure who parks in ayr use for their repair/paint side as i dont think they have their own bodyshop

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
What would be the reason for the spots appearing in the first place? It's all good and well having it sent in to be sanded down and resprayed, but who's saying a couple of years down the line, the same wont happen again?

Barge
Very true. Although, paintwork has a longer warranty IIRC. You'd just take it back again. Fella at work had rusting on his BMW when he bought it, it was 4 years old... They had to replace the whole boot.

The car isn't fit for purpose if it is doing that, especially this early on.

clio 200
spoiler was prob painted at a garage somewherer rather than at the factory

ill not have the car long enough to worry about it coming back hopefully,and if it does then they can sort it again

only reason i can think of is if there has been moisture on the panel b4 it was coated god knows tbh

Pics of said defect?

Mine was caused by the metal filings that dropped inside the bootskin and the rust marks on mine were these bits of metal filing that had rusted. Mine was sorted very easily in the end.

clio 200
ill get pics up soon.maybe hard too see in pics

small bubbles on quarter panels,at first i thought it was dirt in the paint as if it had been painter off the transporter or something, but actually looks more like little rust bubbles some only a few mm in diameter

is that the same as urs louism?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
By the way approved bodyshop means feck all, make sure the job is mint WHEN you do get it fixed.

clio 200
its cool im a painter so itll be mint or its going back again and again till its spot on

the reason i was wondering where their bodyshop was was to see if they gave me an option of where it went

ibiza cupra
sound like its got a bit of solvent pop in the laquer. take it back to the dealers and if they say they will take it to one of their bodyshops but you know of a decent one or work in one yourself then insist that it goes there.

Black 197
Renault are getting so sloppy

As more cars come out the problems get worse, I cant wait to get rid of my RS and buy a decent reliable car

spoiler was prob painted at a garage somewherer rather than at the factory

ill not have the car long enough to worry about it coming back hopefully,and if it does then they can sort it again

only reason i can think of is if there has been moisture on the panel b4 it was coated god knows tbh

parks use bennetts down near harbour...i have paint issues with my 200 as well

STEALTH RAIDER
ill get pics up soon.maybe hard too see in pics

small bubbles on quarter panels,at first i thought it was dirt in the paint as if it had been painter off the transporter or something, but actually looks more like little rust bubbles some only a few mm in diameter

is that the same as urs louism?

Common problem mate with a few cars ive detailed. Just when the car is sat in a compound for a few weeks untreated or has been sat next to railway areas. Shouldnt need a respray. Usually looks like orangy rust spots. It settles in the pores of your cars paintwork. Usual method is a clay bar and lubrication spray follwed by a low cut polish on a hand pad. Get the pics up and let me blow them up. Lew

ValverInBits
So in actual fact 197 build quality is worse than 1*2?? I'm pretty shocked at all this tbh. Really really bad.
Wonder if the build is as bad on the meganes.

Ya mine is just like that, tiny rusty bits just under the surface, gnna give it a good clean n take it down the garage.
My mates 182 had paint missing! He maintaibs renault hold the paint in their hands and blow the sign it off.

GTD, Lupo
Ya mine is just like that, tiny rusty bits just under the surface, gnna give it a good clean n take it down the garage.
My mates 182 had paint missing! He maintaibs renault hold the paint in their hands and blow the sign it off.

I had these orange spots under the rear windows. Clay+quickdetailer and a polish removed mine.

Paul

Mondeo TDCI 130
Mine had the rusty filings from the rear spoiler fit behind the rear lights..........pesky renault!

clio 200
its not solvent pop, and its not orange rust spots or anything like that

its actually small bubbles coming from under the paint and getting worse,wasnt there when i got the car. no colour difference in the bubbles either

had a really good going over the car on sat,turns out under close inspection it has been painted,hard to tell but small bits of off spray on door seals etc, both quarters have been painted. any1 know where this leaves me standing?

bennets arent the best tbh, much rather irt went somewhere else.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Bring it to me Gary, i'll gurantee a good job mate.

Do not take it to bennets whatever you do!

It's hard finding a good garage these days imo.

STEALTH RAIDER
its not solvent pop, and its not orange rust spots or anything like that

its actually small bubbles coming from under the paint and getting worse,wasnt there when i got the car. no colour difference in the bubbles either

had a really good going over the car on sat,turns out under close inspection it has been painted,hard to tell but small bits of off spray on door seals etc, both quarters have been painted. any1 know where this leaves me standing?

bennets arent the best tbh, much rather irt went somewhere else.

Did you buy it spanking new Gary?

clio 200
spanking new m8

where are u gally? painter myself just refuse to have to paint my own brand new car

here are some pics not the best hard to get pics of, black spots were on camera lense

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Even though its a spanker, i've seen threads on Renaultsport.co.uk of cars being resprayed whilst damaged in transit........ They wont tell you. Have a search for CAT Uk on there, i'm sure it will bring it up.

clio 200
it has been painter both quarter panels

was told by renault if it had been painted its not their responsibility to sort it

STEALTH RAIDER
Id try wet sanding them first if they are that raised, You never know. This is why im checking mine with my sun gun when i go up for mine!!!