ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Britcar Racer

M3 & Clio Cup racer
This is an extremely long term project, built from bits mainly collected on the continent.
It started life a DTC (Dutch Touring Car) built by West Surrey Racing who are renowned for building extremely competetive cars in whatever field they work in. They built 3 cars and one spare shell at a reputed cost of @ £80,000 each not including engines!
I picked up one shell after it had been partially stripped, I was then offered a share in the ex-Rob Collard sister car that had competed in the BTCC. This we used on and off for the last few years in a variety of different championships with reasonable success. Having only a share in this meant it was never easy agreeing what should and shouldn't be done on the car and eventually the car was sold to a guy in France which left me with the box of bits i had bought some years previously.
The bodyshell is a work of art with the cage being very comprehensive. The doors, boot and bonnet have been made in Carbon Kevlar and the windows replaced with polcarbonate items. The suspension is JRZ with remote mounted resevoirs, we have Krontec airjacks, a Premier bag tank with the World's biggest fuel hoses for quick filling.
Originally the cars ran a Sadev H pattern box but i have changed this for an ST-75 sequential unit sourced from abroad. These appear to be stronger and easier to work on than the UK Cup versions. The engine was always the problem in the old car and rather than going for out and out power we have opted for a fairly standard engine with throttle bodies and a few other tweeks.
Brakes are a mix of Alcon and AP and were always blindingly good on the Collard car.
I have also changed the front of the car to the later shape 172/182.
It is nearing completion but there are just the really anoying little bits to sort out.
I'm hoping to run the car in Class 3 of Production S1 Britcar but will have to see how the finances stack up once it is complete.

Attachments

• MY CLIO2.jpg
    MY CLIO2.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 348
jesus, dont show ben_p that cage!

looks incredible to be perfectly honest mate

good to see it up and running soon!

jamie

We looked at one of these before buying the X85 but they were just too compromised towards short distance races to be easily turned into endurance cars and quick and easy parts supply was a definate nono as a lot of it (as you know) is completely custom.

Good luck with it though, would be very interesting to see how it fairs against our X85!

BTW There is no Production S1 anymore and chances are it'll be two classes only this season as per 2008.

What you'll be up against :) :

flames.jpg

Cheers
M

M3 & Clio Cup racer
Streuth, better make sure i stay ahead as i see you have the James Bond style flame thrower kit fitted.
I have tried to actually simplify the car as much as possible and throw away a lot of the billet aluminium made mounts etc in the interest of being able to easily source new parts. Breaks my heart but we really are aiming for better reliability.
Fred thanks for the words of encouragement, didn't realise you had actually witnessed me behind the wheel! Give me a call because i have a stack of wheels for refurbing.
Matt

M

mini-valver

All the X85's throw flames on downchanges! Are you using the Sadev from the original cup cars? Or just any Sadev you could find with similar ratios and the Renault bellhousing adaptor?

M3 & Clio Cup racer
The ST-75 was used in all the European Cup Cars other than the UK ones. I was told that the UK wanted to be the first out there with the new car so they used the old box that was in the Meganes which has the selector on the bottom. Supposedly the St-75 is a much better box. It has also been used by Peugeot and Honda just with a different bell housing adaptor.
The ratios are fairly easily available from SWR in the UK.
The Palmersport school cars also used the later ST-75 and can be picked up for not that much more than a price of a new gearbox.

be great to see it all ready and set up.

worked for BPM and Icarus so you'll be up against some fine competition, sure it will run great though.

if its very good i shall be there to have a quiet word in your ear! ;)

all the best

Streuth, better make sure i stay ahead as i see you have the James Bond style flame thrower kit fitted.
I have tried to actually simplify the car as much as possible and throw away a lot of the billet aluminium made mounts etc in the interest of being able to easily source new parts. Breaks my heart but we really are aiming for better reliability.
Fred thanks for the words of encouragement, didn't realise you had actually witnessed me behind the wheel! Give me a call because i have a stack of wheels for refurbing.
Matt

You're absolutely right to do it. I had a close look at one (which may well be the car you have now) and after a bit of soul searching discounted it purely because of the effort required to put a proper spares package together for it. We carry between 15 and 20 grands worth of X85 bits depending where abouts in the season we are and in 2008 had a 100% points score/race finish record in both Productions and the 24hr. That was always the aim for 08 in order to gather as much data as possible on the X85 (especialy our version of it) and hence the decision not to purchase a WSR built 2.

If you're stuck for any bits PM me and I'll pass my mobile no on. Oh and SWR are bloody expensive for Sadev work. Call MGM who have recently purchased all the kit required to service ST75's.

Cheers
M

Renaultsport 220T
If you need any work doing on the Sadav boxes, Mark Fish Motorsport knows them inside out. He rebuids and maintains a few of the ex cup cars that are running in the MFM LMA championship.

Steve

Lionel Richie
you boys are still paying WAY over the odds on the sadev rebuild stuff, you need to speak to my man del-boy £250 job done sunshine ;)

Our Sadev boxes have always gone back to Steve Wardby, expensive but hopefully mine will wear less now if the flat shift is sorted

M

mini-valver

SWR in Essex did ours last week. Needed input shaft and secondary shaft bearings, came back within a week, unsure on cost though.

Qashcow
i'd love an after market gearbox for road and track use, slowly starting to learn whats what. and im very aware that nothing is ideal for the road really, but having come from the skyline background, everyone was 'os giken dog box' or nothing.

id rather have a car thats a b**ch to drive on the road, gives it character lol.

will be watching this thread closely :)