ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cam belt change?

182 FF
Hi Guys,

My friend at work has a 1.2 2005 clio and cambelt should be done at 60k aparently. Car has only done 50k (and obviously only just over 3 years old).

She took it into an independent garage the other day, and they have said the cam belt needs doing and they have scared her by saying if it goes your engine could end up rather fecked. So now she's not using it at all. Think they may have just seen a blonde and thought "we can get some work here!".

My questions are this
a) what would you do in this situation i.e ignore the garage keep using it until 60k? get it checked somewhere else?? or any other idea's?
b) how much should a cam belt change cost to have done?

Thanks for your help.

JD

Ian

Focus TDCi
They are right in saying that it can mess up your engine, but the chances of it snapping are pretty slim. However! Seeing as they have said it, and working on the principle that they were being honest, then it is at least worth getting a second opinion.

Never had a camblet service myself but from what I've read on here it costs anything upwards from £450.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
i thought its 72k or 5 years but people get it done earlier anyway

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Yeah cambelt doesnt need doing until 72k/5 years which ever comes first as said above.

On my old 1.2 it cost me £260 (inc vat, inc labour) to have the cambelt done, that was including me being conciencous and having the water pump, all tensioners and aux belt replaced which ofcourse also meant it had a coolant change.

VW Scirocco
Yeah cambelt doesnt need doing until 72k/5 years which ever comes first as said above.

On my old 1.2 it cost me £260 (inc vat, inc labour) to have the cambelt done, that was including me being conciencous and having the water pump, all tensioners and aux belt replaced which ofcourse also meant it had a coolant change.
so is it best to get the aux belt done when you have the cambelt changed?

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Yeah, think to do the cambelt they have to slacken the aux belt. In which case they recomend that you dont re-tension it as it will be weaker, better to replace it with a fresh belt.

BMW M135i
Get the water pump changed too as they always leak after a while. And don't take it back to the same garage!

ITB'd MK1
To be fair, we like to advise on a cambelt between 50-60k, although we do also state renaults recommended intervals. Our Laguna (k4m) had a snapped belt at 58k (bought damaged). Sounds like this may have been over stated to your friend though if she's scared to drive it :(

Audi S1
i have a 2002 clio 172... never changed the cam belt or aux, some people are lucky. ALTHOUGH ive booked it in on wednesday, Put it this way do it sooner than later.