ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup 172 - limp mode

Hello all,

my friend has bought a 172 a few month ago, he has come to me this week saying its started to misbehave, as he knows nothing about cars

On occasions if he takes it over 4k-5k the light on the dash that looks like a heart monitor (i think this is the engine mangemnt light?) comes on and the car has no power and will not rev passed 3k revs until you pull over, turn the car off and back on again (resetting the ECU i would have thought)

Now to me this sounds like its going into limp home mode because its registering a fault

i drove the car and it didint seem to be misfiring, and it let me drive it quite hard for a while before it went into limphome mode, pulled over turned it off and back on again and it drove fine again and pulled to redline

My feeling is that it a problem with Spark plugs, leads, coil or O2 sensor

Any body know of this problem?

Cheers

to me

Last edited:
  E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
That is the car going into limp home mode, you need to get it to a garage and stop thrashing it to the red line, why would you thrash a car when its clearly not write? Correct me if I am wrong.

Because the problem is intermittent, and we where just trying to replicate we he did when it came on
as the car drives fine and has full power before it gos into limp mode

i wouldnt call taking it to redline once thrashing it

My post may of come across that i just jumped in the car and cained it, this isnt the case, i have owned various performance cars one being tuned Skyline GTST so i do know how to look after a car

172 Credit crunch edition
Bigchris had a similar problem in his 172 cup i think it turned out to be a dodgy throttle sensor or something like that.

Kewl, cheers buddy!

Interesting stuff its done £60k miles and dont think its ever had the plugs changed, so i am gonna put some new plugs in for him as its the most inexpensive things and needs them anyway

If the problem carrys on ill send him off to get diogs test done as there seems few things it can be

cheers

My feeling is that it a problem with Spark plugs, leads, coil or O2 sensor

Yep will be one of those most deffo!

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
mine was the same the other month, needed new throttle body. try this drive in 5th gear at like 40mph, push your accel pedal hard to the floor, and i betcha it goes into limpmode. coudl try changing the pedal pedometer (i did that £69 renault inc vat) btu that didnt' fix mine, broguht new body and its fine, ruchs much better with new one. my old one had done 85k

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm having the same problem with mine.

In the garage at the moment as was a problem with the throttle bodies!

Just to let you all know

I changed the plugs for him, just put some bosch super 4's in as they have always been a good plug 4 me

And problem as gone away! so hopefully it was just the plugs

172 Cup
cool, did you replace any inlet manifold gaskets or just re-use the old ones? think im gonna change mine this weekend as its started getting worse

I'v had my plenum off about 4 times still on the same seal no problem, seems a bit wasteful getting a new seal everytime if there is nothing wrong with the old one.

cool, did you replace any inlet manifold gaskets or just re-use the old ones? think im gonna change mine this weekend as its started getting worse

They hadnt gone hard or flattened so just reused them

All's been fine

Hes also got a really nasty cheap ebay special Intake cone that just flaps around on peice of flexi tube,

Any suggestions of a good intake cone to replace that POS ?