ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio cup strange tapping noise

172 cup track car
ok guys, so i refitted my engine back into the car after being stood in the garage since aug last year, on start up everything is lovely, no warning lights etc etc. but when the car warms up and i blip the throttle at around 2000 rpm im getting a very distinctive metallic tapping noise from the top end area and the car starts to misfire.

on idle its lovely and quiet, and no misfire. soon as i blip the throttle its there again. i can only describe the noise as a very worn dephaser pulley, but i know it isnt that cos it doesnt do it all the time......

the oil light goes out so it cant be oil pressure. could it be sticking lifters?? or could it be an injector fault? im totally baffled as i know the engine was sound when i taken it out the car.

many thanks
jay

172 cup track car
its deffo not an injector fault as ive swapped a complete rail last night, il get a video this morning.

Lionel Richie
just watched the video on my phone, cam timing is a country mile out! thats valves hitting pistons 100% STOP running the engine

172 cup track car
just watched the video on my phone, cam timing is a country mile out! thats valves hitting pistons 100% STOP running the engine
Even though I've not touched the timing, but the engine is supposedly fitted with uprated cams, however I'm not certain. Would the timing being out that much make it only donor when it's warm????

Lionel Richie
yep the criteria for the VVT to be on is above 1800rpm (approx) and coolant/oil above a certain temp = vvt on = inlet cam swings 16degreees = valves kiss pistons, had a few like that, you should be ok re timing it and you'll "just" get away with it, but i'd be comp testing it first

172 cup track car
Only thing to do is check timing then. However I know it's easy to get it 180 degrees out. So what do I look for to ensure its not 180 degrees out when I check it?