ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup track car advice

200 Cup & DC2
I'm looking for help and advice on buying a trackday car. I am currently trying to decide what car to buy, ideally I would like to use occasionally on the road driving to local UK circuits so would like an enclosed car rather than an open car, Caterham et al. 2 such cars that fit that description are the Clio Cup and a Honda Integra DC2. Having owned a EP3 I know Honda's will take allt he abuse you can throw at them and rarely go wrong, my EP3 cover 68k miles by the time I sold and was constantly on track.

To my point..

How easy are the Clio Cups to track prepare and how expensive?

Roll cages?
Seats & safety harnesses?
LSD available?
Uprated brakes?
Clutches?
Suspension?

You get the idea...

Also if anyone has done this to their car or know of anyone who has could they contact me on here?

Thankyou,

Mark

you'd be better off getting one 2nd hand for starters, but iirc they will just need things like a cat, lights and other basic bits.

not the 2nd hand ones as far as I know, places like piston heads are usually quite good and Team Think also sell a lot of ex cup racers.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I'm basically in the process / near completion of doing what you described in the first post...

Roll cages.......i've installed a 6 point omp cage with addition of harness bar

Seats & safety harnesses......Recaro pole positions seats and Sabelt 6 point harnesses (over kill yes but they were a bargain lol!)

LSD available........haven't got and not worth the price/hassle of doing IMO

Uprated brakes.....brembo max discs with ferodo 2500 pads = lots of braking power!

Clutches.....helix group n clutch, had it for about 3 yrs and not skipped a beat, been on about 5 track days in the last year and the bite is still very strong!

Suspension.....Gaz coilovers, hard for the road but suit my cup very well on track

if you fancy more of a chat mate, let me know and i'll PM over my msn addy

it almost certainly works out cheaper buying one already made though, as the Sadev 6 speed sequential has LSD already and are worth thousands alone. Can only see it being cheaper if you did everything yourself... even then it may not be

Cup Turbo, Flamer
If you want the same spec as the cup car then no doubt it would be cheaper, but if you don't want to go all out, sadev box, LSD, stack dash etc etc then a much cheaper way is to do it yourself.

Even better look on racecarsdirect.com seem to be a fair few 182 cup cars for about £9k, including spares and all the trick bits

Part of the fun is doing it myself, long term track project!!

If you want the same spec as the cup car then no doubt it would be cheaper, but if you don't want to go all out, sadev box, LSD, stack dash etc etc then a much cheaper way is to do it yourself.

Even better look on racecarsdirect.com seem to be a fair few 182 cup cars for about £9k, including spares and all the trick bits

Part of the fun is doing it myself, long term track project!!

aye, Cup car is a bit over kill imo, I'd just buy a Williams and cage it and run some cams, coilovers and basic breathing mods with a chip. Handle better than these Mk2's (i've had both) and are quicker providing the engine is okay (which in fairness most are fucked... still, low mile Megane bottom ends are easy to get hold of)

182cup & 172 racecar
I really cant see the point in spending loads of money for an occasional track day car.
Roll cage,maybe for safety,but then most cars only go over when involved
with another car,unless your completely nuts(remember track day not racing)
Brakes,maybe added confidence,but when standard ones start to fade its probably time to come in and let the car cool down and give yourself a rest.
LSD don't bother.
Full harness,maybe if it makes you feel better,plus gives you something to talk about
Standard CUP suspension thats not worn should also be good enough.

Stands back and waits to get slaughtered by all those modders out there.

182cup & 172 racecar
it almost certainly works out cheaper buying one already made though, as the Sadev 6 speed sequential has LSD already and are worth thousands alone. Can only see it being cheaper if you did everything yourself... even then it may not be
6K plus VAT!!!!

200 Cup & DC2
LSD available........haven't got and not worth the price/hassle of doing IMO

if you fancy more of a chat mate, let me know and i'll PM over my msn addy

I fitted a Honda helical diff fitted to my CTR and it transformed the car on track. I paid circa £600 inc. fitting for that however a Quaife ATB diff was circa £900. It is something I would like to do to improve front end grip out of corners.

I would appreciate that John.

Mark.

200 Cup & DC2
I really cant see the point in spending loads of money for an occasional track day car.
Roll cage,maybe for safety,but then most cars only go over when involved
with another car,unless your completely nuts(remember track day not racing)
Brakes,maybe added confidence,but when standard ones start to fade its probably time to come in and let the car cool down and give yourself a rest.
LSD don't bother.
Full harness,maybe if it makes you feel better,plus gives you something to talk about
Standard CUP suspension thats not worn should also be good enough.

Stands back and waits to get slaughtered by all those modders out there.

Safety gear is really for piece of mind as is uprated brakes, it will be making regular trips to the Nordschleife.

I can't comment on a LSD for a Clio but it made a huge difference in the FWD cars I have driven.

Cup'd Monaco 172
Similar lines to Tony.

I would put a standard car on track and uprate what is lacking.
I would fit decent pads and fluid and go from there.

Seat and harness is nice for feel and not too expensive.

I'd leave the engine alone, unless you have a problem with oil temps.

Suspension could be fine, plus rock hard suspension is useless in the rain.

LSD's appear to be expensive on the clio. about 1k. I paid half that for my 205 ATB LSD.

255 V6 Black Gold
s**t me bet this is quick

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/viewlisting.php?view=7922

860 kg with 235 bhp

using that performance calculator on letstorque:-

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 235
Weight without Driver (KG) : 860
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 277.64
0 - 60 (Secs) : 4.71
0 - 100 (Secs) : 11.28
60 - 100 (Secs) : 6.57
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.08