ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Dci 65 Engine Noise/Problem

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
Hi all,

New to forum.

I have a 2002 Dci 65. Bought it March 2013 as a uni car as I didn't want to run up miles on my good car. When purchased it had 78k and full service history. I completed a full service on it and now it's due for another in less than 1k.

Since owning it I have had various wee silly problems, nothing major and nothing that hasn't resulted in an extremely quick fix and low low cost. Biggest problem being the EGR valve needing a good clean so nothing really major.

Over the past maybe 4-6 months a strange engine noise started and at idle the engine would chug (rev drop to 200rpm and back to idle at around 500rpm, don't quote me on that). This was a very rare intermittent problem which generally disappeared itself after I drove the car on as it only done it at idle.

More recently (past two experiences) when the car has done it, it has stalled after chugging for a while, the first major fault of this type actually happened while cursing down the motorway and there was a cough and white smoke spewed out of the back of the car, I pulled over, stopped on motorway to idle engine it chugged and stalled.

All occasions above the engine has started again with the addition of an extra turn or two of the engine to get started with no smoke after it

I can almost tell when it is going to happen at idle as the engine develops a prominent "clatter" noise which starts quiet, gets louder then the chugging starts.

Now I am a bit technical minded and concluded it could be a fuel problem however when it is chugging if I push the throttle in it would hinder for a second then rev as normal with no chugging therefore letting me get away from it so fuel is getting to engine I would assume

Now recently I think it is happening when the tank is low on fuel. Now I don't run the car to empty but usually until the light first comes on, tends to happen when the needle gets to the first bar above empty.

Anyone any idea what this might be?

Sorry for all the info but wanted to include as much as I could as I love my wee clio, still does 60-65mpg no prob and saving me a fortune so really want to do asuch as possible to keep the car young, so to speak.

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Any warning lights up on the dash? Or do any come up when it cuts out on you?

The bit where you say the car hesitates but will pull away with a bit of extra throttle. That sounds like the egr again imo

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
Any warning lights up on the dash? Or do any come up when it cuts out on you?

The bit where you say the car hesitates but will pull away with a bit of extra throttle. That sounds like the egr again imo

Yeah, it will rev with a bit of coughing for a second or two

see when I took the egr valve out I watched a guy on YouTube, I later found it was only half that I took out (as was video), possibly the rest of the valve is causing this, below is a picture of all I cleaned:

12022010226.jpg

Take it this is the rest which didn't come out with my valve:

http://www.dcp-shop.co.uk/images/Fuel Parts/EGR069.jpg

Last edited:

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Could always be a dodgy egr valve. I cleaned mine out when I got my car but it didn't really help much.

What my car seemed to do was if I was going along at a steady speed, revs usually around the 2k mark and then went to accelerate, it would sometimes bog down with a fair bit of smoke, then it would eventually pick up and go. I disconnected my egr valve and i've never had any of the problems since.

The clattering noise you're on about i've never really heard of, but it might be worthwhile just disconnecting the egr valve and trying the car out, see how it goes.

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
Yeah might try giving it a better clean, if still persists just unplugging it then. Does it still pass MOT or not show engine light if no egr is registered?

as for the noise, I think it's just the common dci running noise. Never heard another dci run. I might try videoing it and the camera may pick it up. Noticeable at idle only, instead of a consistent engine noise there is a chug/clatter which sounds on and off but it's consistent with engine so I assume it is in my head.

but thanks for advise, will def look at erg again

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine brought a warning light up on the dash but I just reconnected the egr and cleared the fault code for my MOT. Cheap code readers will clear egr codes so it's simple enough.

A video would help. If it's more of a ticky noise then it's just a general diesel noise and probably nothing to worry about.

Egr is a good place to start though, cheap fix if you can get away with just disconnecting it. If not, then take things from there.

Oh, and welcome :)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
egr in two parts, first bit is the soliniod valve for control of the actaull valve. the second bit will be carbonised up so will be stuck in the egr casting.

it will come out, clean it spotless and make sure the valve can be opened by hand or the solinoid wont be able to push it.

clio dci , ren8
Hard to say without seeing it but the noise you are describing sounds like diesel knock or firing on air , Could be a problem in the tank sender unit as you get a growth in diesel ,if you take the sender out and remove the gauze filter from the bottom you will more than likely find a black growth in there ,as you accelerate it clogs the pick up pipe causing fuel starvation .

Many.
Don't suppose you're local?

I'd happily have a listen/plug it in and view live data. Plus you can hear my DCi.

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
No sorry I'm northern ireland

it could be thought of as a knocking noise. I will definetly try get a video up for u all tomorrow and hope the sound is prominent as it does tend to not be there at times but is gerting
more frequent

RenMatt - if u were right and it was a fuel line issue it would do this consistently but it isn't, maybe once every 3-4 weeks it might have some smoke and this issue. Along with the usually derv smoke of an engine this age anyway

clio dci , ren8
You misunderstood I had a clio that was ok driven normal but when given the beans would go miles then chug and conk out , leave it for a sec and with a struggle would start and carry on its way , this was due to growth in tank .

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
Right guys, today I got the car in to my garage to have a good tinker.

firstly started off with the EGR valve again, and ensured I cleaned the who thing this time, I did notice however a good wee but of oil around it, don't think that is common:

00688DD1-BF03-4372-8283-900F606C4277.jpg

43ED6F01-F887-4651-AA19-4ABCFF3901C5.jpg

Also found this (I assume) a sensor of some sort in that pipe from the EGR, thought I would check that also to see and surely enough it had oil plastered around it as well, does anyone know what this sensor is?

FB0EA329-0733-4A71-8D89-ABB57820E2D2.jpg

01346363-3721-4EE3-A586-0EBC2229BF5C.jpg

now if I am not mistaken this pipe leads to the turbo? That would mean oil would be getting to the turbo and burning however there is definetly never blue smoke coming from the car, only the usual puff of black smoking when u belt ur foot down (which I might add I rarely do as this was bought for continuos motorway journeys up and down from uni)

After all was completed I managed to take a video of the car running in the hope you could tell me if U can hear any noise/knocking that shouldn't be there:

http://youtu.be/uAfZ3_FD9cU

Last edited:
  2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
You misunderstood I had a clio that was ok driven normal but when given the beans would go miles then chug and conk out , leave it for a sec and with a struggle would start and carry on its way , this was due to growth in tank .

Thanks RenMatt, will def have a look at this when I service the car and replace a few bits and bobs in the next week or so

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
A little bit of oil in the EGR is nothing to worry about. I'd only worry if you were finding puddles in it lol, then your turbo oil seals are probably on their way out. The oil you're seeing is just from the crankcase breather, which is connected to the black pipe coming from the turbo (hence the oil in there too).

That pipe is the boost pipe coming from the turbo which leads into the inlet (via the egr), so the oil in that pipe shouldn't end up in the turbo.

As for the video that sounds pretty normal to me. Sounds pretty similar to how my old 65 sounded.

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
A little bit of oil in the EGR is nothing to worry about. I'd only worry if you were finding puddles in it lol, then your turbo oil seals are probably on their way out. The oil you're seeing is just from the crankcase breather, which is connected to the black pipe coming from the turbo (hence the oil in there too).

That pipe is the boost pipe coming from the turbo which leads into the inlet (via the egr), so the oil in that pipe shouldn't end up in the turbo.

As for the video that sounds pretty normal to me. Sounds pretty similar to how my old 65 sounded.

sounds good then, nothing to worry about. Car is mechanically sound which I'm pretty happy about. Good service and a bottle of two of redex and it will be sorted.

Now just to sort a small list of minor things:

- complete service
- replace gearbox mount
- replace RH lower wishbone arm
- figure out why the radio isn't getting an ignition live (as of yestarday)
- see why there is a lot of oil residue down by sump/gear selector rod
- fit new rear rubber exhaust bracket
- discover cause of why its hard to select reverse gear at times

have to say though what ever I didn't today seems to have made the car run a lot smoother and there is a distinctive rattle which used to be there and has suddenly disappeared.

any advise on anything above please do say, might be of even further great help :)