ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio engine change problems

Peugeot Partner, GT6

Unfortunately car technology has left me behind - I've not taken an engine apart since playing with Land Rovers 20+ years ago. I made it a rule NOT to touch anything that doesn't have a carburetor, a distributor or more than half a dozen wires under the bonnet. However, to cut a long story short - my daughter's Clio (2001 D4F 1.2L 16V) was subjected to total coolant loss whilst batting down the M56. End result - engine fried, plug leads melted, head blown, etc. As the car is in good condition with new tyres and no rust anywhere I decided it was too good for the scrapman (first mistake).

Next mistake was to take engine apart & remove head - horrified - nothing other than a complete rebuild would rescue it and even then it would depend on what was found further down.

Answer and second task - replacement engine - not as difficult finding one as I imagined - friend of a friend - 2003 model same engine, good runner, 40000 miles - side accident damage - going cheap.

Third task - remember where I'd left the engine crane, who had it and get it back.

OK, so far so good. Now remove old engine, ancillaries, wiring, etc, etc. split from gear box and take lots of pics. Existing forum members will be well aware of this but I found it remarkable how many sensors and plugs and bits of wire are involved - what makes it worse is that almost every connector was different - squeeze the sides, screwdriver to lift clip, push this, that and the other... take more pics. Anyway eventually it was out and the new engine was picked up. It came complete with gearbox, wiring loom, A/C unit, filter, piping, everything. Only the alternator and starter were missing and I had one of each.

Next problem - spend some more money - replace clutch plate and release bearing, timing belt, associated gaskets, etc. With these prices I was already thinking a replacement engine may not have been a good idea. Anyway too late to change plans now. Fit new bits to engine and then put in car. Surprisingly (at least I thought so) it went in remarkably easily, a bit tight to miss the mounting point and inner wing and get it over the gearbox shaft but it mated first time and bolted up easily. And then the problems started - its amazing that with all the pictures taken you never have the one that includes a certain blue plug that you have no idea where to stick it... hours later - sensors on the exhaust - who would have thought... Eventually all finished, new oil & coolant - connect the battery - ready to go - turn key - NO CHANCE.:(

And now to the serious point of this story and my request to members of the forum. What important bits of information am I missing? I've spent the past week trawling the net for answers but haven't solved the problem and I'm no wiser.:S

I've used the new engine wiring loom and connectors to the main plug at the back of the engine together with the original loom from the car which hasn't been touched. Everything eventually connected to where its supposed to be. The starter turns the engine - not every time which I find confusing and cuts out after 3 - 4 seconds. I don't get a spark at the plugs - using an old timing light gives an occasional flicker once but then nothing. This may be the coil but without spending more money I'd better ask first. The fuel pump is putting pressure in the fuel rail but whether the injectors are firing or not I don't know. Is there anything in the new engine which the ECU is unable to communicate with? What is in the aluminium panel at the back of the valve cover next to the bulkhead where the two multipin connectors fit does this contain electronics or is it purely a heat-sink? The air volume appears to be governed by a butterfly valve in the cover - is this specific to one engine - I've used the unit from the new engine - will the original ECU communicate with it? Is there anything obvious to other members which I'm missing?

I appreciate these questions must appear vague to those with experience in modern engines but unfortunately this demonstrates my lack of knowledge. I'd welcome any assistance...:D

Cup In bits
Welcome

I'm not familiar with the engine wiring looms in this model but have you checked all earths are attached and good, in the cliosport's the main chassis to engine earth is on the chassis leg connecting to the gearbox.

It doesn't sound like anything not speaking to each other per se with it being intermittent, maybe a bad connection on a plug/s possibly. As long as you kept the original ecu and never touched anything on the ignition barrel you should be good that side. CPS (crank position sensors, located on the top of the bell housing) are a common fault with these engines and cause intermittent starting issues, try a swap with that including checking earths.

Also pay attention to what the immobiliser light is doing in the interior, it could have a hand in your problems.