ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio for track use advice???

Hi guys im in the process or searching for a 172/182 for a bit of cost effective track action. I am a complete novice when it comes to Renaults but seems to be a nice power to weight ratio for the price. And ive heard good handling also.

First off do you think ive picked the right car for track use? (dont be too biased :)

If so what items do you recomend for getting the car safe and reliable ie

Engine/Gearbox - are there any known issues with overheating, reliability when given a good thrashing,things that should be replaced, anything prone to going bang?

Brakes - are standards good or do they overheat easily etc? Shall i upgrade if so what to?

Cage - is there a preferance or perticular make which is better than others?

Suspension - Again is there a prefered brand or setup? What sort of height\stiffness will it run best at? Shall i change all the bushes for nylon?

Wheels - What size wheel and tyres are best?

Are there any members that have gone down a similar route and dont mind posting some pics of their cars and the changes they have made.

Are there any buyers guides to look at so i can spot if there is anything that is going to give me a headache?

Sorry for all the questions, These probably get asked all the time. If so sorry for being a Newbie .Anyway Let me know your thoughts!!
Ash

SIGN UP SIGN UP.... OOOO MUST POST!! Lets post the first thing that comes to mind without looking elsewhere!!!!

lolz

Theres a thread called projects thread, if you look in there you will find hundreds of track projects. Some will take you hours to read!!

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
SIGN UP SIGN UP.... OOOO MUST POST!! Lets post the first thing that comes to mind without looking elsewhere!!!!

lolz

Theres a thread called projects thread, if you look in there you will find hundreds of track projects. Some will take you hours to read!!

dude get ready for alot of this too lol :rasp:

CS = GREAT FOR RICH CONTENT, GREAT TO GET TO KNOW PPL WITH SIMILAR INTRESTS, NOT SO GREAT FOR TESTOSTERONE WARS lol

TESTOSTERONE??? WHOO??? lol :p

just thought it was funny!! :p

and i didnt be harsh then not give advice llike others :p

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
its all good dudes.

welcome to CS btw

oh and last little bit of advice. some but not all mods are on power trips in here.

happy posting :)

williams and trophy
1st off.....id save yourself a bit of coin in the purchase, and get a better equipped track car to boot straight from the off.

172/182....no....get urself a williams mate.

upgraded pads, assuming the calipers/discs are ok, and probably throw some coilovers on...will upset quite a few things on track wi that. and have loadsa fun to boot. the drive is so much more rewarding when you can feel what the cars doing, WHEN its doing it. the 172/182s have a vague feeling about em imho when pushing hard

Just had a brisk read through, some good info on there thankyou!!

2 live - So you recomened a williams? Alot better?

Whats everyones views on cages?

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
IMO if its for cheap and cheerful track use go for the williams - lets face it, unless u spend loads wonga on it who cares if u flip it :) .

For Road Use - 172 (not cup) FTW. All the luxurys of a decent car but just like all clios - poor build quality.

sorry dunno about cages :)

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Fixtures and fittings mostly.

Its funny how i notice something wrong with my interior and there is about 20 threads on exactly the same problem. with multiple ppl saying they have it or have had that problem lol :)

engines are pretty mint. Based on experience and forum knowledge, timing belts (and aux belt if its a normal 172) can be an issue, always best to buy one with it changed or when buying get it changed asap.

Problems with mine....

Interior...(minor things really)
Air con fan near light buzzes
Lights flash on dash for no reason sometimes (rear light issue)
everything rattles lol

Exterior...
rear lights are shorting - points need cleaning up hence dash lights flashing

Ride...
Don't get Apexs for road use unless u want a broken back

Engine...
Timing belt Aux Belt Pulleys/Tensions need sorting

Other...
Washer pump broken

Had car for 6 months lol

When i bought the car i had all these ideas on what to buy for it.
Filters, coilovers, Chipping it etc..... but all my cash goes on fixing the thing lol and dont get me started on servicing :(

its a love hate thing :)

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Engine/Gearbox - Fine if maintained well

Brakes - Uprate discs/pads. I've got DS2500 pads, brembo HC discs, braided hoses. No issues with them.

Cage - Wouldn't bother unless going 100% track car. If going 100% track car, I'd get a different car.

Suspension - Personal preference. I've got AST's, adjustable, rear coilover. Very happy with them.

Wheels - 15's.

Def wouldn't bother with a 182 if you're changing the suspension, no benefit over a 172. On the road, there is no difference in pace, the 10bhp is achieved with fairy dust. I'd def get some better seats, improves the driving position massively.

Williams is a better start for a track car, but if it's 100% track use I'd always go for a RWD.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
RWD good advice - I always find its good to be pushed out the corners than pulled :)

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Well if your concered about running costs i wouldnt bother. My clio is getting approx 37 mpg at the mo :)

My mate has a focus diesel and only gets 38.

My BMW e46 (RWD) is only a 320 and gets alot less :(

FWD for fuel eco (only because they tend to be smaller cars) :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Depends if you want to be faster on a track day, or learning to be a better driver. The 172 will be quick, but a lot easier to drive. I wish I'd bought an E36 if I'm honest.

172 Exclusive... For Sale
To be fair you'll probably finder a better 172 cheaper than a good Williams. I might be selling a 172 with general low mileage around 75k btw, offers?

Sorry i think ive worded it wrong not concerned about running cost like servicing, fuel etc. More say if engine goes bang or i twang it parts are cheap and its easy to work on.

Ill do most of the work on it myself you see. So no labour charges apart from wheel alignment stuff like that which i cant do. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
  CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
yeah thought so. My BMW costs alot more to service and repair than the 172

strangely my 172 has become my cheaper run around :S

:D So we all in agreement? Ph1 172 is the best option? Better than any other small hatch?

106 Rallye, phase 2.

Lighter than a Clio 172, wouldn't be too expensive to get the weight per ton better than a 172.

I've owned both and I'd have a 106 Rallye.

53 Clio's & counting
id say so, though for a lower budget a saxo vts/ 106 gti is just as much fun, though after a good drive in both i still prefere the clio

Problem with the rallye is 'only' 100 bhp and they comand high prices still

106 Rallye, phase 2.

Lighter than a Clio 172, wouldn't be too expensive to get the weight per ton better than a 172.

I've owned both and I'd have a 106 Rallye.

Really? This was another option i was looking at? What if i got the Gti?

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
For a track car, 106gti would be better than a Rallye. I've driven the s1 and s2, you'll want more pace after 5 mins!

Really? On par with handling? This was another option i was looking at? What if i got the Gti?

The Rallye will out handle a Clio 172 and is far more fun. The GTi I've not owned or driven but of course the only difference is the extra weight and a case of engine with 8v more. I found the 106 easy to maintain and it uses the same parts as a Saxo to most extents. So sourcing parts would be easy too.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
its up to u dude. just for abit of insight into saxos tho. I raced the vts the other day and i was waving as i pulled away. he didnt stand a chance.

The 106 is still quick but not a patch on the 172.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
its up to u dude. just for abit of insight into saxos tho. I raced the vts the other day and i was waving as i pulled away. he didnt stand a chance.

The 106 is still quick but not a patch on the 172.
Not true, a 106gti will play very well with a 172.

Nippy white cup
It all depends on the track with the Rallye...somewhere like Oulton where there are decent straight but some big hills I think it would struggle (imo).

Chris

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
it is true my mates got a 106 gti and its crap he wont race me ne more cos he gets embarrassed infront of his bird. Plus my 172 is standard.

Im only stating the facts.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
it is true my mates got a 106 gti and its crap he wont race me ne more cos he gets embarrassed infront of his bird. Plus my 172 is standard.

Im only stating the facts.
Ok, there are plenty of thread from other people on here about the relative speed if the cars involved. There is very little in it. And a standard 106gti is a better handling car than a standard 172. Regardless of how many ridiculous little 'races' you and your baseball cap toting friends have.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
lol cba anymore see what i mean about CS -full of knobs . anyways dude i hope u find the car ur looking for and if u need any "real" advice from someone with "real" cars PM me.

good luck

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I've pulled apart/play'd with turning a PH2 & PH1 into track cars.. would recomend a PH1 as its pretty sad sight ripping apart a fairly newish car where as "most" PH1's ( now haters hold back lol ) look shot on the inside from 9+years worth of ware & tear

Oh & comment about the apex's, mate how old are you, 60+? the apex's are firmer yes but no where near as some lowered cars i've been in, i really like the way they make my PH2 handle/look/feel, obviosuly not as good as my old coillys but for the money its a really good improvement, only major mone would be that every thing rattle's abit more lol