ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio for track use advice???

williams and trophy
its up to u dude. just for abit of insight into saxos tho. I raced the vts the other day and i was waving as i pulled away. he didnt stand a chance.

The 106 is still quick but not a patch on the 172.

the vts mustve been a bad 1 then.

craggys was quicker than my williams, which was quicker than the majority of 172s at the time

Hi guys im in the process or searching for a 172/182 for a bit of cost effective track action. I am a complete novice when it comes to Renaults but seems to be a nice power to weight ratio for the price. And ive heard good handling also.
Yep there a great car
First off do you think ive picked the right car for track use? (dont be too biased :)
no get a kit car caterham etc type thing cheap to buy RWD and insuracne etc can be simplier for them plus there often built to race not a FWD car designed to take 4 people
Engine/Gearbox - are there any known issues with overheating, reliability when given a good thrashing,things that should be replaced, anything prone to going bang?
gearbox isn't great or clutch but be gentle and chnage the fluid and there ok
Brakes - are standards good or do they overheat easily etc? Shall i upgrade if so what to?
depends on the budged keep with stock then try uprated pads thats fine for most people otherwise if you can afford and need go for 4 pots
Suspension - Again is there a prefered brand or setup? What sort of height\stiffness will it run best at? Shall i change all the bushes for nylon?
expnsive is best realy but some brands ie H and R are softer so more suited to a car used on the road than other types forget bushes stock are fine and the best realy unless its a race car imo
Wheels - What size wheel and tyres are best? Depends I'd keep on road tyres for a while and 15 inch wheels till you realy know the car.

Are there any buyers guides to look at so i can spot if there is anything that is going to give me a headache?
BVuyers guide do a search
Whats everyones views on cages?
cages are only worthehile if fitted right and a proper type not one of these rear half cages or the popular semi cages
Hope i dont flip it :SWhen you say poor build quality do you mean fixtures and fittings? Are the engines strong enough?
engines are strong its the electical sensors as with most modern cars are the problem areas
Ok if its RWD what would you recommend? Concidering the cost of running? What would match the clio cost wise?
How about a kit car?

Willy + Modus DCi
im with 2live on this one, definately the williams amazing car! i'm sorry about everyones c**k waving over you asking a question, not all of us will jump down your throat. haha

enjoy the forum! :D

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
PH1 172 >all.

Thread on our car here.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=364943

3170543821_c8746a53a6_b.jpg

ZX6R B1H
xsara vts - cost's under 1k for a good un a wedge load of parts avi for them, the engines are in loads of stuff if you blow it up, there are also loads of xsaras in the scrappers if you stuff it...

They are great cars, great engines and pull bloody well, I wouldnt get a williams, i have one but if you pop the engine they are pretty expensive and rare to get hold of unless you do the willy head megane bottom end thing. mines handy in std form on track but... if the engine or box blows again i'll be stright out buying another xsara VTS.

172 Race Car
If i was going to buy another car for track (i.e after the Clio goes) it would be an elise/vx220 or mx5

My track 172

Engine are strong, need the belts doing at 72k, 5 years or earlier. Id budget for this if you buy one.

williams and trophy
xsara vts - cost's under 1k for a good un a wedge load of parts avi for them, the engines are in loads of stuff if you blow it up, there are also loads of xsaras in the scrappers if you stuff it...

They are great cars, great engines and pull bloody well, I wouldnt get a williams, i have one but if you pop the engine they are pretty expensive and rare to get hold of unless you do the willy head megane bottom end thing. mines handy in std form on track but... if the engine or box blows again i'll be stright out buying another xsara VTS.

lol...a sub £1000 williams

[youtube]mWiV5zFTbys[/youtube]

i s**t u not

and as for the elise/vx220

[youtube]X-JzMDPAllM[/youtube]

now tell me wots best value for money lol

Last edited:
  williams and trophy
me

lol

which 1 mate....the 2nd vid.......donny.....is jesus es willy 2. was all std susp etc, but had the cams fitted by then

the 1st vid.......oulton......has cams fitted , but diff to the 1s in the willy 2. neither car properly mapped for mods.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
172 Cups...

They last forever if you're sympathetic with them (smooth inputs, heel/toe changes etc.).

Engines are strong and have plenty of grunt as standard.

Suspension as standard is well up to regular and hard track use.

Brakes are the only thing I'd say are an essential upgrade, but pads and discs (I run Brembo HC discs and Carbon Lorraine pads), braided lines and a good freshly bled fluid is more than adequate - and not expensive.

Wheels - I run 15s on road and track, far greater variety and availability of rubber for 15s, and are so cheap that you can chop and change at leisure depending on the weather or your mood.

Obviously stripping it to the bare metal helps massively - and the bonus from that is there's nothing left to rattle!

Enjoy it whatever you end up getting :approve:

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
I'd probably go 172 cup you can pick them up for less than 4k now.... that or a JDM teg for simillar money

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
im with 2live on this one, definately the williams amazing car! i'm sorry about everyones c**k waving over you asking a question, not all of us will jump down your throat. haha

enjoy the forum! :D

+ 1

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
RWD: Datsun 240Z

FWD: ph1 172 or cup if your budget allows for one. Cant comment on the williams, never been in one!

VTS/106 GTi is a very capable car on track. Mods are cheap and they respond well to the likes of exhausts, IK's, cams etc.

Italian 3.2 V6
aaahhahaha, these 3 quotes made me chukle from how you said them! lol

from vid 2, when taking the elise ...
1. "he shoulda f**king moved out the way, what a dick-head!"
2. "just keep out his way, hes clearly a f**king idiot this guy!"
..and finally...
3. "you can f**k off!"

lol

williams and trophy
lol^^^

1st 2 were jesus....playing the pass seat driver lol last 1 me.

quote of the day tho had to be.......jesus driving

"fukkin ell mate theres no brakes, pedals jus gone to the floor"

to which my reply was........"dont fukkin use em then"

lol

williams and trophy
me???

lmao.......no mate

jon (jesus) got bummed quite a lot with it tbh, and spent a lot more than he shud have ....mainly rectifying problems that a decent mech wouldnt have made......like jacking the car up by the sump......nice 1 ben.

williams and trophy
not sure on exact money outlayed mate tbh. i know it was a lot tho.

even got 1 of the guys that shafted him ringing me up to ask how to fit stuff.......and he billed him top dollar for the job. i should have charged him for technical support i think

to be fair...bens fuk up cost him bout 1500+ tho

Astra van,Mk1 nova
There is very little in it. And a standard 106gti is a better handling car than a standard 172. Regardless of how many ridiculous little 'races' you and your baseball cap toting friends have.

Had me chuckling hard :D

Have you ever thought of going down the vauxhall route? Very cheap parts, easy to work on and power gain is very easy.

williams and trophy
not sure on exact money outlayed mate tbh. i know it was a lot tho.

even got 1 of the guys that shafted him ringing me up to ask how to fit stuff.......and he billed him top dollar for the job. i should have charged him for technical support i think

to be fair...bens fuk up cost him bout 1500+ tho

was over £2k in bills to sort out bens shoddy work

and thats just to sort out the damage done......not inclusive off parts/labour/extras not recieved etc

Thank you guys for all your help, i have learnt loads!! Really impressed what the clio is capable of.

Just to throw a random in the mix anyone encountered an FTO on the track? Seem rather cheap, 2.0 V6 200bhp, parts are as cheap. similar mpg. Manual 0-60 is in the low 6's. With a few upgrades could be a cheap integra type-r ? maybe?

Or am i barking up the wrong tree?

williams and trophy
not really encountered 1 on the track or road tbh mate.

met their smaller bro the FTO tho..................not impressed tbh

Qashcow
had a play against an fto a few years ago, manual with big exhaust and all sorts of jap s**t stuck on it. i was actually gobsmacked at just how lame it was. not seen one on track though

ZX6R B1H
love the williams vid 2live :D hopefully i can say i prefer the williams over the Xsara after oulton park has been done with willys new sus and brakes :D

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
will be in a different league mate in all honesty.......i think ul find ;)
Yep. The Xsara's are pretty uninspiring compared to the 306, the Wiliams should be well ahead.
Only thing the Xsara's are good for is donating engine's to snapped rallye's;)

williams and trophy
which ones u going for mate. b warned ....there are quite a few makes that .......errrrrrrrrr......are shite ;lol