ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Insurance!

Mk2 1.6
Hey in 17, I just recently got my first car a 03 Clio 1.6 in black. Not that im not happy with it but i want to make it more nippy and was thinking of gettin some simply mods done to it like a viper, chip etc. Anyone know any good insurance companys that will insure me with any of this. Im on my parents insurance with 4years ncb to begin with.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Welcome to the site.

I would delete parts of your post if I were you so the insurance company doesn't find out you are commiting fraud.

If you put mods on it, then its even more likely that the insurance company will be knocking on your door. If you have an accident, forget about them giving you any money or repairing your car.

Golf GTI 1.8T
Do you mean you want to move over to your own insurance and want to know of a company that will insure the mods you are planning?

^^^ It doesn't sound like. He hasn't got a hope in hell of getting insured @ 17 on a 1.6 clio.

He probably wont enless it costs silly money, I wanted an Astra 1.6 sxi for me first car but the insurance on my dad named driver thing was going to cost me £1500 and on my own they said over £2000 which unless your well off you aint gonna afford, I think a 1.6 clio is about the same Insurance group as a 1.6 Astra

Mk2 1.6
i am currently insured on the car as it is standard and was wondering what kinda insurance companies are out there that are good to go to for modified cars (im staying on my parents insurance). Not gonna go ott really just a few simply ones. Anyone had a bluefin chip either? are they any good?

Golf GTI 1.8T
well your insurance is already void as you are doing whats known as 'fronting' wont your current insurer insure the mods then.?

Mk2 1.6
what is fronting then? where i am basically the main drive but telling them my parents are? THe insurance company im with are pretty expensive and don't think they like mods.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
thats highly iligal matey, if u crash not only have you fucked your parents insurance but if they find out ur the main driver, and how many middle aged parents mod a 1.6 clio, then they wont pay out,

my advice is dont mod, save up and get ur own policy.
i insured a 1.8 diesel 205 at 17 for £1700 1 ncb and on my clio its now £800

Mk2 1.6
what insurance group is your 205? cuz this clio is an 8, i did check with the company and they said its £1900 to insure me on my own with my pass plus knocking off £500. My parents do use it occasionally though, but yeh i see what yours saying

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
205 was also 8 , i went with liverpool victoria but they fucked up when i crashed and scrapped my car without my consent.
so i left when it was time to renew,

Mk2 1.6
ah that sux man. I know its a 1.6 and it is pretty quick but everyone knows what its like gettin used to the speed the car is dishing out and wanted to get a bit more grunt. Think im gonna just try and get loads of quotes from places, on parents and on own, but ya see was wondering if anyone would give some actual insurance companys they know that insurance mods and not too high prices?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
You should really have the insurance in your name.

If you cant afford insurance then maybe you shoudl have baught a smaller engine car??

When i was 17 my first car was a 1.0 Micra - It cost me £1700 in MY name to be insured but paid up and didnt mod it.

Its the only way to be legal.

If you cannot afford the insurance on your own totally legal don't buy the car.
I think anayone who goes buy a powerful car on there parents insurance and then says well I cannot insure it myself shouldn;'t have bought it.
My first car cost me (well my parents as it was a birthday present and my wages hadn't started) £1k to insure. However I could always say it was mine.
Whats the point putting some modification on the car though if you cannot legally drive it?

ZanClio said:
ah that sux man. I know its a 1.6 and it is pretty quick but everyone knows what its like gettin used to the speed the car is dishing out and wanted to get a bit more grunt. Think im gonna just try and get loads of quotes from places, on parents and on own, but ya see was wondering if anyone would give some actual insurance companys they know that insurance mods and not too high prices?
Instead of spending on mods why not insure the car yourself legally and build up sone NCB?
A 172/182 is slow infact some TVRs are slow. So why not go buy a 600CC motorbike there quick.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Taken from insurance website

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Some young drivers are under the illusion that by naming themselves on their parents second policy will reduce the rates. Insurers are aware that this practice goes on but frown upon what is called “Fronting”.

In the event of a claim, insurers can repudiate a claim on the basis of non-disclosure if the young drivers has been input as an occasional driver when in fact he or she is the main driver. It is imperative that the insured is always completely honest on the proposal form. Non-disclosure is a breach of policy conditions.

Mk2 1.6
I can insure it and afford to insure it in my own name at current cuz i have pass plus and been quoted £1900, modifications aside then cuz i dont seem to be finding the answer sorry guys, but what are some good insurance companys for young drivers with relativly quick cars?
Sorry don't wanna sound like a dick guys.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
ZanClio said:
I can insure it and afford to insure it in my own name at current cuz i have pass plus and been quoted £1900, modifications aside then cuz i dont seem to be finding the answer sorry guys, but what are some good insurance companys for young drivers with relativly quick cars?
Sorry don't wanna sound like a dick guys.

I think for your age and size of car £1900 is a very good deal !!

You will be hard pushed to find much cheaper IMO

Try all the usual:

Online quotes
Ring up for quotes
etc

It will all depend on your variables such as location etc

this is a good help for other people lookign at this thread/

frequent_questions.gif

Should I insure in my parents name?

Many people try to avoid higher premiums by insuring a car in a parents name and adding a younger driver.

Technically this is called "fronting" and it is to be avoided. In the worst case, should you do this, a claim could be called invalid meaning that you would not receive a payout and the younger driver could be convicted of driving without insurance.

As a minimum the fine would be severe and 6 points is generally the basic penalty. For young drivers this could potentially mean the loss of their license.

A vehicle being used for commuting by a student could be the evidence an insurance company would need to invalidate the policy for fronting.

The safest course of action is to insure in the young drivers name. This carries the extra benefit of them being able to accumulate their No Claims Bonus.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
try adrianflux, tesco, quinn direct and bell

they do reasonable rates for young drivers on thier OWN policys

Mk2 1.6
yeh its not bad but i will be an manc uni next year with my car no doubt it will raise up loads cuz of the car crime there. Never really looked into this fronting thing this much, kinda did it cuz all my mates were on their parents lol and they got good deals going on.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
bein at uni doesnt really affect it that much, and manchesters hardly the uk car crime central

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
ZanClio said:
yeh its not bad but i will be an manc uni next year with my car no doubt it will raise up loads cuz of the car crime there. Never really looked into this fronting thing this much, kinda did it cuz all my mates were on their parents lol and they got good deals going on.

Yup i know what you mean.

Its to easy to fall inot the trap of "oh my mates got a good deal"

Its the same thing really as oh "my mates all take drugs" kinda thing.

Ive had to pay out loads for insurance to keep it legal, but its the only safe way. When i took my car to uni i changed address and that bumped it up also.

Ive known many people to be shafted on insurance in many ways and fronting is one of them. Doesnt save money in the long term either....

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
taylor said:
bein at uni doesnt really affect it that much, and manchesters hardly the uk car crime central

You would be suprised !!

a) you must declare using it for commuting (as ur at uni)

b) possible change in area risk

c) parking it where? more then likely on the road

Mk2 1.6
I wasnt too concerned about NCB's as when i hit a certain age its gonna drop anyway. But i guess if i get em now then i can get a big boy car when i get out of uni. May leave my car at home though sometimes when at uni so try n keep costs down, plus dont wanna be the guy whos picking all drunk ppl up lol

ZanClio said:
i am currently insured on the car as it is standard and was wondering what kinda insurance companies are out there that are good to go to for modified cars (im staying on my parents insurance). Not gonna go ott really just a few simply ones. Anyone had a bluefin chip either? are they any good?

And if you do that and have an accident your insurance will be void and your car won't be repaired.

ZanClio said:
I wasnt too concerned about NCB's as when i hit a certain age its gonna drop anyway. But i guess if i get em now then i can get a big boy car when i get out of uni. May leave my car at home though sometimes when at uni so try n keep costs down, plus dont wanna be the guy whos picking all drunk ppl up lol

If you tried to get insurance on your own for that car I seriously doubt it would be under £2500, your 17 and have no NCD and its a 1.6 Clio.

Get something slower and build up your NCD. I was a named driver for my first 2 years of driving and I thoroughly regret it, although my parents were the main drivers of the car and I used it less than them, I really wish I had gotten my own insurance then the insurance I'm paying now would be a lot less.

Mk2 1.6
oh no ive checked the insurance b4 and it is that much cuz doing pass plus really knocks down the price, but isnt doing anything for me right now cuz currently on parents.

Mazda MX5 1.8
it will be stupidly expensive but u need ur own policy

not only to be legal but also to build up ur NCD so its cheaper in future.
my 1.6 insurance was something stupid like £1500 when i 1st got it. and that was when i was 19.
has come down loads every year since then (now at about £775 @ 22)