ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Mk2 Ph1 Headlights

Clio Mk 2 Ph1
Hi guys.

Basically, me and the G/F are mildly modifying the Clio we have. Nothing OTT, and where possible, OEM in looks. We've just had the passenger wing and door resprayed, so whilst at it we had the bumper and door strips done too. We also picked up a set of 15" Renault Clio alloys from a breakers and ditched the crappy aftermarket 14's that came on it. Changed the repeaters to clear ones etc...the car is really coming together-see pic here, or more here. But i digress!

Now we've had the bumper strips re-sprayed, we think the car looks a little bland from the front. An easy mod in the meantime would be to change the headlights. Whats the difference between our ones and the ones on the green Clio (aside the obvious visual difference-see pic at bottom of thread)? I know that they were used on the 'Sport' models, but also lower spec ones as i've seen loads round here with them too.

If i were to find a set of these lights, would they be a direct replacement for the standard ones or do they need additional wiring? I would think that they are just direct replacements surely? Just a pod for side lights and a pod for main beam & indicator. I don't want to get a set and then not be able to use them because the wirings different!

I've also read somewhere that to change the headlights on our Clio, that the bumper needs to be removed. Is this true? Seems alot of effort just to change headlights!

Dan :)

ClioLightsPair1.jpg

Clio Mk 2 Ph1
no real diffrence look nicer

What do you mean by that? The wirings no different? I see you have a Mk2-have you changed your lights? All i want to know really is whether they are just a straight swap i guess...

I think they look nicer-the headlights on at the moment look so bland, plus they go a really crappy colour over time too.

Get some dual optics on it (the ones in the pic of the green one)
While your at it, update the rear lights to the mk2 ones (the ones with the white circle in the middle of them)

Clio Mk 2 Ph1
Get some dual optics on it (the ones in the pic of the green one)
While your at it, update the rear lights to the mk2 ones (the ones with the white circle in the middle of them)

Aah, they're called 'Dual Optics' are they? Thats what i want-but nobody seems to know if they're a direct swap. I don't want to get some and not be able to fit them. I don't want to cut/solder any wires really, just trying to find out if they're a in/out job, and whether i have to remove the bumper or not to do so!

They do look better though, 100%...

With regards the removing the front bumper, or not - there was a thread on it the other day, it should still be on this page, of not the next one.

Quite a few on here have retro fitted them, as you say they look 100% better.

Places like gsf car parts (german sweedish & french) or euro car parts should sell them.

FOR SALE!!!
they are not a str8 fit but dont take a lot the bulbs in your headlights now use 1 bulb for dipped and high beam in the dual optics they use 1 for each so have to change the wiring to work on to the two bulbs but i do think you can buy a wiriing kit from hella

i have got angle eyes on my which are same as dual optics use to bulbs and i got a wiring kit which come with them so aint really hard mate i still mite be going with some dual optics as my angles ring have packed in so unless can fix will go for these over another set

Clio Mk 2 Ph1
Ok. Well, i just found this thread about getting the lights out, so the removal isn't a problem. I've always had Volvo's, so i'm sure removing a Clio headlight won't be too challenging.

With regards to the wiring, does it need any extra relays or anything, or would it be just chopping and soldering wires? Anybody think Renault would help?

FOR SALE!!!
no extra relays im sure some body will do you a guide on here and removal is easy there the screw on top then if u remove the grill dont have to but makes life easy there is two under the lightthen jsut a case of uncliping it from the wing and pulling it out easy peasy had myn out so many times lol

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
There is a guide here but you have to be a fullly paid up member to read it.

Basically there are three wires to each main headlight bulb, on the one you have now. You need to modify/split one of them to make it so that there is four wires. Then add a fuse. Looks fairly simple, i'm yet to try it.