ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport 172, I get it.

Clio 172
I now fully understand why there is such a following for these cars, I have had my Clio 172 for a couple of months, but just have not found the time to take the clio for a proper drive and get to grips with what it can do, and I also had a couple of problems with the injectors, 1 went bad, then 2, then I just change all of them for new.

But yesterday I got up very early and went for a proper long drive, what can I say, but I'm loving what this car can do, it's just with you all the way, from the great response from the engine in most gears, too the lightness and feed back of the chassis, my GTI always felt halfway there when pushing on, great engine, but the rest of the car was just lacking in every area when compared to the Clio. The one thing I did find surprising was how easy the backend of the car can step out of line, and it happened on really slow corners, but I had such a grin on my face when I got home from the drive, great fun, and I only wished I brought one years ago instead of the GTI.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I couldn't get my 182 to step out unless I was being really really silly.

172 Cup
I have to say its near impossible for me to get the back out with out driving incredibly silly.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I really don't know how people do it, 2nd gear, accelerate hard round a roundabout, lift off, opposite lock etc, nothing, solid as a rock.

172 Cup
Yeah! Only drama that happens to me is a bit of under steer! Maybe fitting the ARB makes it a tad more tail happy, It did to my friends Astra ?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I can make mine step out on a particular corner (manage to do it 'on purpose' almost every time if I try hard enough). It's a sharp 90 right turn though and is going over a slight hump, so rear dampers may be to blame (not that I mind).

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mines started stepping out finally, but that's with 2 in the back and ditch finders on top of the rarb and only in the damp......but it does do it!lol!

I really don't know how people do it, 2nd gear, accelerate hard round a roundabout, lift off, opposite lock etc, nothing, solid as a rock.
I'm the same in my ph1!
My 182FF on standard (new) suspension was quite easy though. I just put it down to the better suspension and ad08rs on my ph1

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
mine would step out if I wanted it to step out but never when I didn't expect it, the one time it started stepping out when I wasn't expecting it I had a burst rear damper, replaced them both and it was back to only doing it when I wanted!!

they don't go sideways as easy as a 197/200 though!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
that's how I roll, advans I think on rear and PE2's up front, sketchy as hell!lol! :)

Clio 172
I forgot to say, things I don't like so far is the steering wheel is just to big for the car, and the brakes could do with upgraded lines, lucky for me there where almost new, Ferodo brake pads, and Brembo disks, put on the car when I brought it.

172 Cup
Agreed on the steering wheel, and the pedals are in the wrong place if you're tall. But in the end the faults are all part of the character!