ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport Ownership Question/s

Peugeot 308
Hello guys,

Being bored at work has got me thinking...

I've owned my Ph1 172 for 4 months now, and at this stage I usually end up getting bored of car's and plonk em on Pistonheads.

This is my 2nd 172, although its not as good as my 1st one, Im actually really content to keep it.

My question is, how long have you owned your 172 for? do you see yourself keeping it for a short/long time or is it just a stepping stone to something bigger?

:sleepy:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
had my mk2 172 for over 2 years since i was 18 then sold it as i felt it was time for a change, cut about in the dci for 6 months, got bored and bought the ph1 and im actually even happier with it than i was with my first one even although this one cost quarter of the price and isnt as clean and probably not as quick!

S4 Avant
I've had mine over 2 years now, it's staying with me for life.

Isn't worth anything to anyone except me. I'm sure over the years it'll eventually turn into something mad.

MCS R56
I had mine for 5 years and it started needing bits and pieces done to it, so got rid. I also fancied something else.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Keep forgetting to update it :D

How would you compare the VTS to PHS1?

bttt Had my 02' Flamer for 6 months and had to get shut due to a change in circumstances. Was only 3 years old at the time. Current owner used to be on here. Loved it but was doing about 700 miles a week, so would have dropped like a stone..

Peugeot 308
How would you compare the VTS to PHS1?

The black one I had was cammed and rolling roaded at 145bhp, I would say comparing my black one to the ph1 there wasnt much in it untill past 80 where the longer legs of the 172 came in.

Saxo was much much more fragile aswell and build quality wasnt upto much! makes the clio look like a rolls royce.

Although, I'd say the vts was more fun to throw around and being over 100kg lighter then the clio in stock form, it didnt feel so bulky and was slightly more responsive.
I love the 16v TU engine also :cool:

Id comfortably say day to day the Clio is a better car though.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
I'm looking for a phs 1 at min, but also keep lookin' at VTS. I basically want something just for going to work, 10 miles a day, that isn't expensive and can be a bit of fun as well.
Wife has Astra CDTI for family days.......

Don't know if I'd regret not getting a phs 1 though, and be able to live with the Saxo image of course!!

Iceberg 172
I've only had my 172 for a week but I've gone through so many cars in such a short time I'm shocked to say that the Clio is perfect.

It's a mix of all my previous cars. It's got the chuckability of my 106 GTI, the pace of my Ibiza cupra and is a nice place to be in like my TT. Plus it does over 30mpg! I've never been worried about fuel consumption but it's nice knowing it's not drinking the expensive stuff!!

I'm not saying it's better than the above cars at those certain things but it's the first car I've had that does everything for me.

So I plan on keeping it for a fair while. It'll end up being supercharged or chopped in for something newer eventually though. Nimbus 197 with recaros is really doing it for me ATM!

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Have to agree that the Clio is a good package of everything that most people are after.

Iceberg 172
I've had my 172 for 3+half years now and i'll be keeping it for a while longer yet even though i usually only keep a car for 3 years and get something else, i'm loving the clio!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking for a phs 1 at min, but also keep lookin' at VTS. I basically want something just for going to work, 10 miles a day, that isn't expensive and can be a bit of fun as well.

Don't know if I'd regret not getting a phs 1 though, and be able to live with the Saxo image of course!!

just for the record my mate bought a 106 rallye with loads of bits n bobs done to it and i bought my ph1 and i think he sometimes wishes he had got the ph1, however he is still very happy with his car, i think what ever you get you will probably wish you got the other! saxo/106 is more nimble, clio is quicker and a better place to be albeit with a worse driving position!

182....WEAPON!
im about to start a similar thread..
ive owned about 10-12 cars (off the top of my head) in 3 years, some of them ive really loved but sometimes you cant refuse an offer. i tend to get bored quite quickly too.
just got my 182 2 days ago, i used to have a 172 but it didnt last me long prob 4 months or something? sold it because it wasnt fast enough for what i wanted at the time. sold my glanza and bought my 182 for reasons mentioned by others above, great all around package, comfortable, fast, looks good, nearly 10 years newer than my glanza.

but in all honesty, the 182 wont be here in 6 months time. ill be keeping it at least until my insurance runs out in 3 months so i get my no claims but anything after that i cant say.

Peugeot 308

106 Gti instead of a vts?

I've had 2 cammed vts's now, there good car's and will keep up with alot to 80 (ambarrassed my mates Astra Gsi) yet the quality overall lets it down for me (rear axle's, sunroofs, bodywork falls apart etc)

Saying that, there going to be cheaper to maintain then a 172 in terms of parts, cambelt changes etc etc

DMS

A thirsty 172
I've had mine for nearly 2 years now and don't intend to get rid of it anytime soon.
While I may get another car in the not too distant future I'll still keep the Clio. I'll probably end up turning it into a track car when I get fed up of using it as a daily driver or when I actually need to get something practical again.
Another reason for keeping it is that I doubt anyone would want to buy it.

Ph1 172.
I've had mine 6 months and although it's a bit of a pig and not in the great nick atm, i am very happy with it. I guess i'll be keeping it for a good while yet and even then when I do change it i will get another RenaultSport.