ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio sport trophy or 197 or megane sport help

Clio sport 172
Hi there I was wondering if anyone could help me please on deciding on whether to go for the clio trophy or a 197 or the megane sport I have looked at all three and can't decide on which to go for I have a 172 at the moment I will be using the car for everyday use and also for playing in I was wondering on any help please thanks

Audi A5
Their is no right or wrong anser, their all good cars in their own way, it just depends what you fancy.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Test drive a trophy, r26 and r27 see which you prefer

also, a budget would help. Sub £6k get a trophy, £8k r26/r27

yeah will depend really on budget. I really think the 197/200 is a much more grown up looking car. I've never driven one so not sure how they go. The trophy is a good little car. Try them both and see what u bond with

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
Trophy or R26 IMO. The R27/197's are not as fun as the old 172/182/cups/trophy models IMO. The Meganes are much quicker and theres is much more potential for them. As a daily though nothing meets the spec more than a full fat 182. Cheap with all the comforts and pulls like a good one!!!!!!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
yeah will depend really on budget. I really think the 197/200 is a much more grown up looking car. I've never driven one so not sure how they go. The trophy is a good little car. Try them both and see what u bond with

I agree with the more grown up comment. That's partially why I chose my 197 over a 1*2.

i disagree with the not being fun comment though. I think they're awesome, the genuinely carry scary speeds around corners. Also, I'm not the best driver, not even average, but even I can persuade them to oversteer and step out controllably when pushing on. They're amazingly capable cars. Especially in r27/cup Guise.

M2 Comp
Trophy, R27, R26- either of them would be a good buy IMO.

Just drive them all and see which you prefer.

If you really like your 172 but wish it was slightly newer/fresher, and with the added cudos of being a tweeked-to-near-perfection version of the clio2 platform, then go Trophy.

Choose a Megane if you simply want to go faster than any of the clio's with the added bonus of more practicality/civility when you're doing dailies. But Megane's have never really taken my fancy, I'm not sure if its the looks or what, but I think I'd love it when doing every day jobs but get bored quickly on a fast blast due to less revvy/racey engine (guess I should drive one to find out really!)

But I'd go for 197 R27 if it were me (or save up for a 200 cup). Purely because its a better all-round car, its chassis is genuinely an improvement in grip and response over the mk2 clios. Whether its any more fun than the others or not is surely a matter of individual opinion, but I'd have one if I could afford one.

Trophy is a great car, but so are all 1*2's IMO, but they're feeling old now. I also don't think the Trophy is quite as much of an icon or the future classic many hope it will be

Last edited:

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Loved my Trophy and would have another in a heartbeat but the R26 is awesome. LSD ftw

Clio sport 172
hi there thanks for all your comments i have drove a clio trophy and also a megane the only one i havent tested is the 197 has for the budget im not to bothered about its just which one will be more suited for everyday driving and a bit off a play i did like the megane because it was much bigger car and i liked the feel of having a turbo again because i have always had turboed cars but i like the feel of the trophys the way the handle and feel like you can chuck them into any corner at any speed and they will get you through it. my only problem is if i go for a megane do you by a f1 or a cup is the f1 worth the extra money thanks

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
But I'd go for 197 R27 if it were me (or save up for a 200 cup). Purely because its a better all-round car, its chassis is genuinely an improvement in grip and response over the mk2 clios. Whether its any more fun than the others or not is surely a matter of individual opinion, but I'd have one if I could afford one.

You can't compare an r27 to a 200cup. It'd have to be a fully specced 200 i.e. recaros, cup chassis, standard car for the start button etc etc, or a special edition 200 as I imagine they're easier to come across than a fully loaded 200.

I couldn't imagine a 197/200 cup as a daily, just for the interior.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
my only problem is if i go for a megane do you by a f1 or a cup is the f1 worth the extra money thanks

f1. Hands down.

Comes with cup chassis, recaros, LSD and some other fandangly bits which I forget.

If you're buying a 182, 197 or Megane, you may as well go all out and get a trophy, R27 or R26. It might just be me but I wouldn't consider less

535d / t5 caravelle
f1. Hands down.

Comes with cup chassis, recaros, LSD and some other fandangly bits which I forget.

If you're buying a 182, 197 or Megane, you may as well go all out and get a trophy, R27 or R26. It might just be me but I wouldn't consider less

R26 has LSD not f1

RyanS182

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 200
I use my FF 200 as a daily and i love it. I test drove a cup and IMO it's pointless as a car to drive daily. Unless you took them both to a track you won't notice the difference, besides your back being shattered if you drive a cup.

And again, the 197 really puts the 182 to shame in terms of comfort!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I use my FF 200 as a daily and i love it. I test drove a cup and IMO it's pointless as a car to drive daily. Unless you took them both to a track you won't notice the difference, besides your back being shattered if you drive a cup.

And again, the 197 really puts the 182 to shame in terms of comfort!

are you talking in terms of creature comforts? because doesnt a FF i.e. standard car with cup chassis have the same ride quality as a 200 cup?

I got a shock at the stiffness of the cup chassis on my r27 at first... along with how hard the recaros were. but I got used to them both very quickly, and now wouldn't be without

RyanS182

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 200
are you talking in terms of creature comforts? because doesnt a FF i.e. standard car with cup chassis have the same ride quality as a 200 cup?

I got a shock at the stiffness of the cup chassis on my r27 at first... along with how hard the recaros were. but I got used to them both very quickly, and now wouldn't be without

Not sure what you what mean mate! Mine doesn't have a cup chassis, but as everyday use I couldn't live with the climate control. All the little things which are ment to make up "FF" include auto wipers, auto headlights, cruise control, speed increasing the volume? etc etc.. So maybe I'm thinking of FF wrong i dunno!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Not sure what you what mean mate! Mine doesn't have a cup chassis, but as everyday use I couldn't live with the climate control. All the little things which are ment to make up "FF" include auto wipers, auto headlights, cruise control, speed increasing the volume? etc etc.. So maybe I'm thinking of FF wrong i dunno!

FF usually means the standard car (not a cup) which has been specced with the cup chassis/suspension (and cup spoiler/splitter on the 182s). You cant live with the climate control? Its not the end of the world to have it but I wouldn't be without as I figured if i was spending so much I may as well get all the options.

you're right, all of those little bits come on the standard car, then you spec the cup chassis to make it FF in forum speak

R27's are nice I seen @Knuckles this morning on my way to work by Cheshire oaks.

I'd go R26 though depending on budget.

What were you in? I was in my own little world lol

RyanS182

ClioSport Club Member
  RB Clio 200
So to be FF it has to have the cup chassis!? I thought it was everything BUT the chassis :O