ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio starting problem - fixed

Clio 1.2/Scenic 1.5d
Hi...thought i would post this solution on here as despite pleas for help on the renault and RAC forums (with no replies) the best advice/guidelines came from searching this forum.
1.2 16v 2004 clio
Fault was...
Turn ignition on, fuel pump relay clicks 5/6 times, fuel pump doesn't prime, engine won't turn over.
Warning lights were...
Stop light - steady
Preheating/electronic fault light - steady
Coolant temp light - flashing
Immobiliser light on and steady.
Turn ignition off and straight back on again, fuel pump primes, engine turns over for 3/4 seconds but won't start.
Warning lights as above except immobiliser light goes out.

After many hours reading through forums, trying different solutions, and drinking lotsa tea...finally found red wire going from Engine Management fuse to pin 86 on the Engine control relay had corroded.
As one member on here had suggested...search for a wire that looks like a snake that's eaten something big!...ie bulging.
Wire had turned to dust!!

'Er indoors had suggested towing it to the renault dealer...thank goodness i didn't! Perhaps i could use the large amount of money saved to put towards a 172 to play with!
Anyway...great site with knowledgeable advice...so thanks very much.
Hope this helps someone out.

Now, about that 172......!

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I've spent many hours on various forums over the years with the vast array of cats I've owned but this seems to be one of the best I've come across.

'About that 172' do it, you'll only regret it 8 days a week when it's playing up ;) but when they do work they are great fun, I sold an impreza wrx before getting mine and I haven't looked back