ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio trophy 147/500 Getting some Pre-lemans loving!

RS2'd Trophy
So some of you may have heard about my engine disaster only making 169bhp 125ft/lbs's with an RS2 amongst other things. I have had a new engine (Thanks Rob91) fitted by Mick @ Diamond motors. The engine itself is a rebuilt Ph1 head (Larger exhaust valves iirc) by Foxy and an extremely low mileage 182 bottom end, Amongst other things it has had a band new dephaser and gates cambelt kit. The engine had already been dynod on Robs car at 172bhp and 160ft/lb's so I knew she was in a good bill of health. Massive thanks to Mick for all the work!

Sneaky Mick@Diamond Motors sticker!
faa173ba.jpg

I have since changed the oil for millers CFS, new iridium spark plugs and type D coolant. Since fitting the engine I have done circa 1.5k in it and it has used no oil or water whatsoever which im extremely happy about and its seems to pull like a train compared.

Then its was an extremely long trip down to go see James @ stone automotive and Mike at MWM. I had turned up early so decided to get a generic pressure wash costing £4.50 from the local BP (Southern tax). WHen I turned up there was obviosuly the James Stone banter which is always refreshing and Mike turned up after spending a whole night on someones engine what a legend! Then the logs were taken revealing that none of the previous map could be utilised :( Mike and James spent the best part of 7hours on the map, fuel timing and getting it dynod. Unfortunately when it came to getting it rolling roaded I had got an ancient air filter which was covered in mud from the drive down as I had decided to put a 90degree bend on it to relocate it to the front bumper. This in mind the car still made fantastic power at nearly 190bhp and 150ft/lbs. This has since been changed and im hoping to get it dynod again!

The car is now completely transformed and has so much low down linear grunt it is so easy to drive. Even my girlfriend can drive it at pace!

All I can say about James and Mikes service is its top notch, James always keeps the communication every step of the way and Mike may aswell write a book because what he doesnt know about the engines isnt worth knowing!

Following on from this my parents decided to kick me out as there moving to the SW so I had to find somewhere to live until I finish my education and work! This place then cam eup cheap so the trophy has now been used as a daily commuter and stored away here in the garage. Proof its still alive!
DSC02794.jpg

First garage job sort out the products racking!:
DSC02795.jpg

Lemans preperation Day 1:

First job, tidy the ipod adapter wiring and refit the top dash so the A/C works again!
DSC02798.jpg

DSC02797.jpg

Then it was onto the engine bay. I literally had the engine fitted and I havent touched it since. It was painted that nasty orangey red VHT colour so that had to go. Sanded down meticulously (5mins with some 400grit lol) and the primer went on, followed by generic gloss black and then 3 coats of enamel lacquer) Whilst this was drying I repainted my engine Mounting in high power chrome again and she was done again!

Before:
46fe263d.jpg

After:
DSC02800.jpg

DSC02801.jpg

I then swapped my spacers over and fitted some 3mm shims to the rear so the front has 20mm each side + -2degrees negative camber and the rear has 18mm each side -1degrees camber. This caused a probem with my 'Quick release' Bumper so I had to do a bit of trimming, bending and bashing to my bumper mounts but now shes a gooden! I then found a nice bit of private road with a bit of run off and started to setup the AST's. There soooo much better now and a much more liveable height! The turn in is now greatly improved, The back has a degree of pitch to get a controllable movement without being too unstable and best of all it rides the bumps perfectly (Although very stiff)

How she stands now
DSC02799.jpg

DSC02802.jpg

All Tucked away for the night
DSC02803.jpg

Today im fitting all of my Lemans vinyl and giving it some much needed TLC (cleaning wise) and she will almost be ready to make the european trip! More pics to follow later.

Thanks for looking.

James

Black 200
Car looks lovely. Good effort to the guy who worked on someone's engine all night!

Do all trophies come with the different dashboard?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That engine dress looks SO much better now James. Enjoy LM and we need loads of pics!!

pimp mobile Zafira
Looks spot on mate. Need to see the pics when you get the graphics on. Have a good trip.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Looks great mate, love the attention to detail, needs some new wheels now though, you've had them 2118's too long compared with how long you usually keep wheels, call/txt me when they're available ;)

I've got to say, James @ stone automotive is certainly pulling out all the stops to make sure the poor communication that JMS became accustomed to, doesnt happen again. Top bloke.

RS2'd Trophy
Thanks for all the comments.

I have fitted the stickers but I'm missing two sticker packs which are due on Wednesday I'm assured so it's a bit of a half effort at the minute but I'll post a picture up ASAP!

James

RS2'd Trophy
Thanks for all the comments guys!

Here are a few pics from lemans! Im awaiting my friend to edit the raw data on the pics from his SLR and will be along next week sometime.

Here are a few crap Iphone pics lol:
6b98fb3e.jpg

f3fc97ea.jpg

0f1a8331.jpg

21a98468.jpg

6f38e751.jpg

c89e7c99.jpg

e6ad43f9.jpg

Thanks for looking.

James

Looks like an epic trip mate! I got offered the chance to go to Le Mans on the Thursday and turned it down :( Really regret not going!

I'm in love with your car! One of my favourites on the forum :) Keep up the good work and I want to see it on track soon ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks quite at home next to even the Evos etc. very cool car.

Had it back to the dyno yet to see if it can do even better than the previous 190bhp or have you not sorted the filter yet?
Can't see how there can really be much more than 190 in a standard engine with just an rs2 and a map though tbh, that's epic already, mike really does seem somehow to get way way better figures from his maps than the previous companies James used for mapping before.

Great looking car.
I recognise the Evo with the R33TRD plate as well. Seen it around Nottingham once or twice a few years back. Plate made me laugh!

225 Cup & Williams
Thought this was my trophy for a minute there when I seen the thread title but remembered mine is 142 lol.

Looking great though mate.

RS2'd Trophy
Looks like an epic trip mate! I got offered the chance to go to Le Mans on the Thursday and turned it down :( Really regret not going!

I'm in love with your car! One of my favourites on the forum :) Keep up the good work and I want to see it on track soon ;)

Its funny you should say that chap! We are just organising for a track day at cadwell with the Evos and an Mk1 RS for sometime near september so shoudl see how it goes! Thaks again for the comment it means alot!

Had it back to the dyno yet to see if it can do even better than the previous 190bhp or have you not sorted the filter yet?
Can't see how there can really be much more than 190 in a standard engine with just an rs2 and a map though tbh, that's epic already, mike really does seem somehow to get way way better figures from his maps than the previous companies James used for mapping before.

Not yet Chip, to be honest im really loving how it drives at the minute, its so balanced and easy to drive I dont really want to fettle it too much. Im also happy with the power figure, I can highly recommend Mikes work it was absolutely faultless there and back (excl a puncture in arnage lol)Had an epic play with some Fiat 500 abarths on the way down though, its never been so fast!

I am however boosting it for next year because against those evos it was pittence after 90mph lol!

Great looking car.
I recognise the Evo with the R33TRD plate as well. Seen it around Nottingham once or twice a few years back. Plate made me laugh!

Yes he lives in nottingham lol, its an absolutely amazing plate and car!

Looks epic. Awewsome car :)

Thanks Keith, Are you at CSS?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not yet Chip, to be honest im really loving how it drives at the minute, its so balanced and easy to drive I dont really want to fettle it too much. Im also happy with the power figure, I can highly recommend Mikes work it was absolutely faultless there and back (excl a puncture in arnage lol)Had an epic play with some Fiat 500 abarths on the way down though, its never been so fast!

Totally agree.
You're preaching to the converted here mate, me and Mike go back a long way and I have always had a massive amount of respect for his work.

I am however boosting it for next year because against those evos it was pittence after 90mph lol!

Are you planning to retain the RS2 at that point or sell it to help fund the conversion?

TBH given the limitations of the gearbox etc, an RS2 and the turbo at once is probably pointless as you'll be able to get enough power even on a standard inlet to more than what level you are likely to want on the standard box.

Mike is building a turbo/rs2 car for himself soon funnnily enough though, when he has spare time between customer cars, probably be well into next year before its done though as its very much a background project.

RS2'd Trophy
Im thinking of keeping the RS2 aswell as a supercharger (Possibly turbo but scared about the way all the torque comes in at once transmission wise). From an aesthetic point of view the RS2 tidies the bay up no end, I dont think I can go back to a standard inlet lol!

I remember him saying actually, I wonder if I can beat him haha! I am looking forward to seeing some results on the 197 cams project aswell!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im thinking of keeping the RS2 aswell as a supercharger (Possibly turbo but scared about the way all the torque comes in at once transmission wise). From an aesthetic point of view the RS2 tidies the bay up no end, I dont think I can go back to a standard inlet lol!

I remember him saying actually, I wonder if I can beat him haha! I am looking forward to seeing some results on the 197 cams project aswell!

a turbo doesnt have to deliver the torque all at once TBH, thats down the mapping.
In fact potentially if you bang the throttle open hard from part throttle at high RPM you get a bigger rate of change of torque on the supercharger as there isnt the lag where the torque builds like on a turbo.
Transmission is best considered on borrowed time either way IMHO, just buy some spares!

RS2'd Trophy
Thats the most informative post ive had in a very long time Chip thanks!

I am looking to order my turbo soon and after reading very good things over on the honda boards with regards to the Evo 9 turbos TD05 do you think a turbo of this size / capacity is well suited or will it have to be a trial and error basis? I was originally considering a GT28RS.

James

Great looking car.

a turbo doesnt have to deliver the torque all at once TBH, thats down the mapping.
In fact potentially if you bang the throttle open hard from part throttle at high RPM you get a bigger rate of change of torque on the supercharger as there isnt the lag where the torque builds like on a turbo.
Transmission is best considered on borrowed time either way IMHO, just buy some spares!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Evo turbo will be ideal, but you probably should just get one of the earlier ones not a 9 one as they will spool quicker as they have a slightly smaller exhaust hosing and unless you are chasing well over 300bhp the larger one wont benefit you really (although it will drop egts a tiny bit)

If you are using a twinscroll turbo like that though, you really need to get a twinscroll manifold made, not stick it on the renault one that most of us use on these conversions.

Couple of lads who's vauxhall turbos I am mapping are going down this route with the Evo tubos as well.

Dewis Motorsport alters evo aftermarket manifold to fit, I could ask him if he would do a renault one for you if you like, as I mapped his 380bhp corsa for him and he has made other bits for me in the past, so we get on really well.

RS2'd Trophy
Evo turbo will be ideal, but you probably should just get one of the earlier ones not a 9 one as they will spool quicker as they have a slightly smaller exhaust hosing and unless you are chasing well over 300bhp the larger one wont benefit you really (although it will drop egts a tiny bit)

If you are using a twinscroll turbo like that though, you really need to get a twinscroll manifold made, not stick it on the renault one that most of us use on these conversions.

Couple of lads who's vauxhall turbos I am mapping are going down this route with the Evo tubos as well.

Dewis Motorsport alters evo aftermarket manifold to fit, I could ask him if he would do a renault one for you if you like, as I mapped his 380bhp corsa for him and he has made other bits for me in the past, so we get on really well.

That would be brilliant Chip, What sort of cost would I be looking a for it?

I am looking to make 300hp maximum to be honest so I am looking at an evo 6 turbo from a tommy makinen (SP) as they have a titanium impeller so I have been told.

Then on top of this I would need to source boost pipes, Evo intercooler, Mishimoto Rad and kenlowe puller fan, Aquamist setup, 3 Bar map sensor, Different temperature plugs, R26 injectors, Jenvey fuel rail, fuel labs regulator and pump, decat the orbisoud, EC1 management and a map from Mike. Can you think of anything else? I would need to uprate the clutch and possibly go to a diesel box (Unsure of ratios)

Do you know if the TD05 is water or oil cooled? I assume ill need to run a cooler for that aswell? Im trying to keep it as neat as possible with the installation so ill be keeping the RS2 (If the plenum is strong enough)

James

PS I forgot to add, LC1 wideband and boost gauge to the list! T Minus 12 months to get it ready now!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I can find out a cost and get back to you, I will need to have a measure up of the exhaust manifold etc to give him some details.

Yes they are water cooled you can either plumb into your existing water setup or add a separate cooler and pump. You would probably get away with relying on just the oil cooling though if you wanted to, it's not like a gt series where they really need water desperately.

I wouldn't bother paying the premium for a tommy mac turbo, no need just get a normal one.

RS2'd Trophy
Ps

Mike wont want it on an ec1 I suspect, he'll prefer omex or mtech.

Right OK, Im going to hang on till the last minute for management but im going to hoard the parts over the coming months so I have a bit of time to get the list sorted.

Ill have to drop him a call to discuss as I definitely do not loads of dashlights on!

James

clio 182 black /gold
Looks like fun. On your shelf in the garage what does the can of coke do to the car? :rasp::clown::quiet:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This is the sort of manifold I was on about by the way mate, so you can decide if its likely to fit in the engine bay or not

IMG_0989.jpg

RS2'd Trophy
Jesus, thats a work of art! Erm can you get me a picture and an overall dimension flange to flange. Its just so I can get a dimesnion to the back of the bay, unless I side mount the turbo?