ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Trophy Dampers removal and refit.

182 Trophy
Hi, I've been advised that my Off Side Front damper needs a refurb. It seems that most people suggest using BG Motorsport at Silverstone so that's my plan too.

I wondered if anybody who has taken the dampers off has any advice for me. BG Motorsport tell me that they want the springs removed from the dampers. Is the removal / refit a big job or is it relatively straightforward ?

Thanks for your help.

Lionel Richie
20min for a blind man, easy peasy

top cap 21mm
2 x lower bolts 21mm
retaining nut 17mm

done

no need for spring compressors

182 Trophy
Thanks Fred, I wondered if Spring compressors were needed. However, the refurb place want the springs removed before I send the dampers to them so I guess I'll need compressors to remove them after I've removed the damper.

182 Trophy
Update - I started jacking my car up last night and the OSF jacking point bent. I've searched on the forum and it sounds like this is pretty typical and the supplied jack and marked jacking points on the front are rubbish. Think I'll just drive the car to BG Motorsport and let them do their thing with it. Sigh ....
Good news is that the dampers don't appear to have an oil leak and I suspect the gas has just escaped over time.

330i. E30 Touring.
You're giving up because the sill bent?

Jack it up on the chassis rail that runs down the car, and you've got no worries mate!

Also, if you do use the sill, I always use a rag between the jack and sill. Just takes the harshness off it, imo.

182 Trophy
I think I'll be jacking it up and removing them after all. The hotel I'd booked to stay at whilst my car was worked on at Silverstone has burnt down. Premier Inn Silverstone is now a smoking ruing. I think I'm cursed :eek:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
^ What he said.

Using the standard jack is retarded but to then use the sills is just special.