ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Trophy review - 4Car website

Lee

BMW M2C
  106 GTi

Another good write up then. Cant believe they are still talking about the awfull 206 GTi in the review though!

hmmm... sounds yummy... just noticed this: The five-speed gearbox has a slick, positive action and is very satisfying to use. does the trophy have a different gear box from the normal 182 then?

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

All I heard is good things about this car...

I hope your gonna return the DRIVE I allowed you of my new car

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Hippychick on 07 July 2005
All I heard is good things about this car...I hope your gonna return the DRIVE I allowed you of my new car

Might be around your way at the weekend so Ill pop in and let you have a go. :D

*pretends to have not noticed loonys comment*

New member here.

Been looking at hot hatches and read a review of this car. seems amazing. Any idea what insurance group it is?

Am very tempted by this.

Lee

BMW M2C

Welcome to Cliosport.

Insurance is 17D. When I insured mine it wasnt on the system so I had no extra charge over the 182 I had at the time.

hmm well i was looking at gettng a Williams and that was coming out at 2200, due to the fact that i am 20 (almost 21)

So if its less than that, I can handle it. cheers for info

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by clio16v1996 on 07 July 2005
Itll be group 16 i presume same as all the Renaultsport Clios

Its not, its 17D. It gained a group.

hey i am young but i certainly wont be putting stick on tat to it.

Keep is std, and keep it in good condition and dont rag the hell out of it.

thats how i like my cars, standard and in good condition.

Like most people here i take pride in what i drive

GW Clio 200

I have gotta stop reading reviews like this, Im going to prematurely ejaculate if I here anymore... I will be driving mine next week......I f0oking c@nny wa!t

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 07 July 2005
More of the same: :D

Even Ford and Vauxhall should be more than a little worried with the launch of their hot Focus ST and Astra VXR imminent."

Im glad it got a good review etc but come on....

GW Clio 200

I have a load. mainly from this site and the renaultsport section of renaults Website... If you PM me your Hotmail, I can add you and send you a rar.

GW Clio 200

Nice Nik, Are you enjoying it. When I went for a test drive I got so many looks from passers by... seems to grab attention ( I dont know whether thats good or bad come to think )

What are your thoughts after the week or so you have had it!!

Thanks for the pics too!! a few more to wet the appetite for next week...

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Quote: Originally posted by .:xTreme:. on 07 July 2005

Nice Nik, Are you enjoying it. When I went for a test drive I got so many looks from passers by... seems to grab attention ( I dont know whether thats good or bad come to think )

What are your thoughts after the week or so you have had it!!

Thanks for the pics too!! a few more to wet the appetite for next week...

Its fantastic, couldnt be happier with it. The magazine reviews sum it up perfectly for me. Still cant believe just how effortlessly it goes round bends. Im looking forward to getting it on the track now.

It does seem to grab peoples attention. Im noticing passengers of other cars looking across as you pass all the time.

Youll not be disapointed next week i assure you :D

Arctic Blue 182

Hi all. Not been on here for a while!

So, with the Trophy, is the main difference just the new suspension? (Apart from the Recaros, which look superb) Ive read all the reviews etc and it sounds an absolute riot to drive, but can only see that the new dampers and seats are the only new additions.

How much better is it than a 182 with Cup suspension? I only ask, because at the time, I thought I was buying the last Clio Sport before the new shape came out...... Then the 182 cup arrived, which made me feel well pi$$ed, and now this little f**ker!!!!

Its sorely tempting, but Ive only had mine a year, so Im in no position, financially, to swap.

BTW, anyone who has a Trophy, Good on you for either waiting for Renault to con us with the latest models before this, or for being in a position to swap. Go enjoy it.

Dare I say they will bring out a Clio Sport Trophy Cup 183..... just to pi$$ existing Trophy owners off!!! ;)

Black 182 + Recaros

Faz182 - Good to see you back again mate.

People shouldnt get too pissed off. They should be happy with what theyve got. I know I am. :D

How many H&R modified 172s are there on the road. Not 500 I bet. . Ive got my own special-special edition.:)

[Edited by MattyMarsh on 07 July 2005 at 9:26pm]

Arctic Blue 182

Quote: Originally posted by MattyMarsh on 07 July 2005

Faz182 - Good to see you back again mate.

People shouldnt get too pissed off. They should be happy with what theyve got. I know I am. :D

[Edited by MattyMarsh on 07 July 2005 at 9:21pm]
Thank you, its been a few months, but I felt my views at this time warranted me popping back in to see who was still on here, and how many people had grabbed this new Trophy and see what its all about.

To be honest, Im still happy with mine - 182 with both Cup packs... very happy in fact. A year on its only done 9k and bedding in nicely, plus, my lady is more than happy with her 172 Cup (which she thinks is faster than mine). Im thinking of lowering it and getting a new set of rims for it eventually anyway.

But, while I direct no bitterness whatsoever to any Trophy owners, or owners to be, I do feel somewhat let down and swindled by Renault. But really, I should have learned. I feel sorry for the 182 Cup owners - 1 car away from the ultimate Clio (allegedly). Sorry 172 Cup and Williams owners. ;).

Clio Cup

Im sold anyway. The magazine autocar didnt offer much in the way of description of handling characteristic etc. 2 page spread wasnt much to read.

How does the trophy differ in handling terms to the 182 cup? I found my 182 cup to be too soft at the front resulting in it being very slow to act to steering wheel input.

Has anyone driven an lancer evolution 8MR - excellent car but due to running costs most likely cheaper in the longterm to buy a mk2 gt3 as a occasional track car with an extended warranty. In an evo you can changes lanes at high speed almost like dare i say an elise/exige. DOes the trophy have anything in common with the evos pointy nimble inertia free change of direction handling style. I always wondered how they make such a heavy car handle like a gocart, its amazing a quick short jerk of the steering wheel and it changes lane effortlessly.

would coilovers get a normal clio close to the handling of this new one?

and the lightweight wheels, are these just normal torrinis?

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 07 July 2005
would coilovers get a normal clio close to the handling of this new one?

and the lightweight wheels, are these just normal torrinis?

No, coilovers would make the car stiffer, and give adjustable ride height but you get non of the benefits of these Sachs units. These being:

- thicker damper rods.
- increased oil / gas capacity
- hydraulic bump stops

On a super smooth track, where they are no real bumps to absorb, then youd be close, maybe even ahead, but on uk roads they wouldnt help that much.

Wheels are Speedline Turinis, yep. Apparantly you cant buy them in the correct offset aftermarket, also the colour is unique.