ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 Front End Restoration

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
What I couldn't understand was the point my mate was trying to put across, I just accepted it as a matter of course as he has more experience with painting than I do.

logically his point made no sense to me so yes I can understand that it would make no difference. My mate isn't on drugs

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
edit: with the contamination point, shouldn't it be in a controlled environment anyway?

In a perfect world yes but that's not how it works, if ou think about a booth you have to open and close a door to get in and out, lots of variables. We are very strict in our place and our extraction is extremely good but it's unavoidable at times. You would never know once the car is finished though.

Even the best booths in the world would struggle to achieve 100% dust free enviroment in my humble opinion.

No but it would be nice to go tell my mate he's talking s**te ;)

hes always right dontcha know! :banghead:

It's unfair on your mate to say he's talking shite but he may have been taught that. Although if he had a brain in his head he's realise the application of paint doesn't change. The angle you hold the gun at to the panel doesn't change unless you're not very good as the finish would be off.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've heard loads (from painters) about the angle and direction you spray metallic paints so it doesn't look a different colour. Then again the painters I know are useless f**king c**ts!!

Lols! So we have both seen mate!

What I couldn't understand was the point my mate was trying to put across, I just accepted it as a matter of course as he has more experience with painting than I do.

logically his point made no sense to me so yes I can understand that it would make no difference. My mate isn't on drugs

It was more a joke about the drugs but again logical thinking dictates that the horizontal panel is no different to the vertical panel spraying wise. The gun is still pointing at the same angle.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Metallic paint can change shade by painting with a different air pressure at the gun, lay it on wet and the metallic lays flat giving a darker shade.
Lay it on dry and the metallic stands up giving a lighter shade, we used to do a "drop coat" to stop "ghosting/cloudy" in light blues/slivers and other light colours.

That was over 12 years ago now so i don't know if things have changed with water based paints?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Which is why I couldn't understand his point.

​good to know I can now go and tell him the next time the subject comes up that he's talking shite

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Metallic paint can change shade by painting with a different air pressure at the gun, lay it on wet and the metallic lays flat giving a darker shade.
Lay it on dry and the metallic stands up giving a lighter shade, we used to do a "drop coat" to stop "ghosting/cloudy" in light blues/slivers and other light colours.

That was over 12 years ago now so i don't know if things have changed with water based paints?

It hasn't mate thanks for leading me onto my next point. One way to ruin a colour is pressures but if you know what you're doing that shouldn't really happen.

Which is why I couldn't understand his point.

​good to know I can now go and tell him the next time the subject comes up that he's talking shite

Lols. See my above point.

Ia that what you do Gally, bodywork?

I'm an assessor mate.

Lionel Richie
gravity causes the flake to move is what Jaff is banging on about, i saw it on Wrecks to Riches (US tripe TV show) where the boss went mad because the car pannels were painted all flat instead of in their correct orientation as they would be on the car, i thin that was a candy coat though, or some weird water based thing

Yozz'd up 182
I think people are getting confused. Or at least i was until i re-read. When Jaff is talking about painting it horizontally i think he means still hanging vertically but rotated 90 degree's?

225 Cup & Williams
Kev after seeing those pictures I've pretty much made my mind up who I want to do the Williams.

Cracking work!

Clio v6
Paint direction arrows are usually stamped behind the panels, also in one of Renaults tech manuals, they look like a knitting pattern for a jumper. A certain bodyshop told me they only apply to the first coat at the factory.

​Who's Vee is it and what plaque number is more important. :eek:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
looks awesome! finished pics required.

Jaff, I think I know what you're on about... I've read that (forgive any wrong terminology) in the past, the technology wasn't available/the techniques weren't developed/ the paint was something or other. Which made it difficult to match how the original fleck in the paint 'lay' when touching up/respraying etc.

iirc, its not been that way for a number of years.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Our colour library is probably one of the biggest physical libraries in Britain. Reps are shocked when they come in and see the amount of colours and shades we keep.

We do pride ourselves on our paint matching. We actually have 32 shades of the White Pearl on the Laguna Coupe probably the most we have of any colour, FRS Ultimate green is always fun, like painting with Milk ffs!

We keep these colours we never through out any spray cards we do of colours. Just to give you an idea.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The owner also isn't isn't on the forum. Just for the ones that asked. Not that I would say if he was unless he sanctioned it v

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The owner also isn't isn't on the forum. Just for the ones that asked. Not that I would say if he was unless he sanctioned it.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Our colour library is probably one of the biggest physical libraries in Britain. Reps are shocked when they come in and see the amount of colours and shades we keep.

We do pride ourselves on our paint matching. We actually have 32 shades of the White Pearl on the Laguna Coupe probably the most we have of any colour, FRS Ultimate green is always fun, like painting with Milk ffs!

We keep these colours we never through out any spray cards we do of colours. Just to give you an idea.

mind elaborating for those of us who are uneducated

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry mate was just a passing comment.

With 3 stage pearls the actual pearl itself that is applied over the ground coat (green in this case) is very thin and opaque. It provides very little "coverage" so takes many coats to actually get the correct shade etc.

Electric Orange, Velocity Red and many others.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yes the pearl is just the "affect" some painters think the more pearl you put on the better the affect/flip but all it does is make the paint look dirty.

Gally, when we painted a white porsche turbo we had to fit the bumpers and panels, kind of do a dry build and paint the car that way so it would "flip" right.

​Do you still need to do this?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Sorry mate was just a passing comment.

With 3 stage pearls the actual pearl itself that is applied over the ground coat (green in this case) is very thin and opaque. It provides very little "coverage" so takes many coats to actually get the correct shade etc.

Electric Orange, Velocity Red and many others.

It's no bother, i just like to ask questions lol.

Dont suppose you have any photos of the process of painting a pearl colour do you? It sounds interesting

and opaque? Do you not mean transparent/ translucent?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Love that!

Off to get a quote for my 197 front bumper this week.

I hope GW is easy to match, i presume being a bumper it can be edged?

172 Cup
Excellent thread coming from a painter!
​Shocking that you can't get a bumper but good to see it was repaired properly!

M2 Comp
Great work.

It's nice to see a bodyshop that takes pride in doing a job properly. My experience of bodyshops has not been good, most don't seem to care.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Lots of dry edges going on there.... apart from that, looks a good finish. How are you going about fitting the 'D' panel to the front bumper with that gusset/re-inforcement section Gally? Just curious...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You mean the lower air guide/belly tray. Can you point out the dry edges?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I possible know what your going to say but i'll let you go first.

For the avoidance of doubt there are no dry edges.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
On the edges where the panels join each other. Admittedly, most body shops wouldn't bother.. but if you want to be 100%, the individual panels are better off being removed on a v6. Just like you've removed the front bumper. Without doing this, dry edges are unavoidable. Its just the way vee's are put together.

The 'D' panel behind the bumper would normally sit on top of the rear bumper edge, where your new panel is, and be screwed from the underside face of the bumper edge into a trim clip/fixing. In your case, this may be hampered by your rivets and/or bolts. Happy to discuss via pm if you prefer..

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ah I see i'm not sure "dry edges" is the correct terminology chap it implies something is wrong with the panel finish.

Every area that could be coated, was. As you'll see the 2 front wings, which i'm sure you're speaking about needed so little basecoat (colour) the rest is lacquer.

The picture with the bolds and rivets are sort of misleading. I explained in the text. The bolts were only temp for strength and testing. They were actually through the holes where the screws (torx) were used upon build up, I see what you mean though. All original bolts were re-fitted.

The bumper was far from easy to remove, partially due to the previous repair.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Fantastic job Kev, looks amazing.

I always think the Matt finish (pre lacquer?) looks awesome though. Like BMW Frozen Blue!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah pre lacquer mate. Not how Matte paints are painted just incase anyone thinks that.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Ah I see i'm not sure "dry edges" is the correct terminology chap it implies something is wrong with the panel finish.

I'm trying to enlighten you a little, not **** off the work of your colleagues. On the v6, painted surfaces (typically where the bolts are) fit face to face. So painting off the car is a better job. A bit like painting a house hold window or door with it left shut, you wouldn't... you'd open it to paint the edges to.

Every area that could be coated, was. As you'll see the 2 front wings, which i'm sure you're speaking about needed so little basecoat (colour) the rest is lacquer.

As above really, same with the clear coat. Also with the rear bumper join to the rear quarter.

The picture with the bolds and rivets are sort of misleading. I explained in the text. The bolts were only temp for strength and testing. They were actually through the holes where the screws (torx) were used upon build up, I see what you mean though. All original bolts were re-fitted.

The bumper was far from easy to remove, partially due to the previous repair.

I imagine your new 're-inforcement brace will be visible when looking under the car. Normally, only the 'D' panel is visible.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ah my apologies. Now it makes sense.

Because the alu plate is now Blue and is trimmed to follow the bumper it's impossible to notice but yes you would maybe see about 1/2 inch of it if you looked right under the car.

I think it looked superb. Very OE finish to the bumper and adding much needed strength.