ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio v6 v megane 250 evo comparison

BMW M135i
As much as I know where they're coming from I wish some of the evo vids would be less boring. Bit of commentry (dubbed) wouldn't go a miss.

1998 BMW e46 323i
how close were they on that track tho? I knew the ph II's handling was improved, but my mate has the 250, he says the handling is sublime and the straight line aint bad according to him, and he's a car nut!!

Agreed, dull vid.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
That videos very poor considering how good their mag is... Is it just me or does the Megane sound more vocal than the v6?

BMW M135i
Did think that, took me a second to realise they'd switched car almost. Noise seemed very similar to start with in the 250.

1998 BMW e46 323i
250 looked better on the corners and sounded much better, yet they were that close. Bonkers

Turbos.
1.5 seconds isn't a huge gap, but is in the world of racing... you also have to bear in mind they are better than the average driver; a normal driver will be more comfortable driving the Megane fast.

Having said that, the V6 did itself proud considering all the stick it gets for being a widow maker.

Turbos.
Remember being at Snett in hired 182, was really annoyed not being able to keep up with an R26R, it was quick! If memory serves me right, Evo tested it a couple of tenths behind an M3 CSL...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
V6 was quicker than 200cup round bedford recently iirc.

Video is taking an age to load!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Watched it. Crap video for starters, Still none the wiser to your "LOL" comment.

Why on earth was John chucking the car into a fairly open sequence of corner! Plonker!

I would pitch that an R26 is faster on track than the V6, so it's not hard to believe that the 250 is 1.2s quicker!

Vee does very well! agree the vid is a bit boring, but the article in the mag is pretty good.

v6 did 1.31.1
meg 250 cup did 1.29.9

for reference when they took out the clio 200 cup, it lapped in 1.32.0 ...who says a v6 isnt quick!!

also, the v6 video is quieter as the engine is further away from the microphone than it is in the megane.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL at the vid being boring. A back-to-back comparison of two cars running around the same circuit.

What exactly did you expect?

How could the vid be more exciting???

Very surprised at the V6 though! He seemed to be throwing it about like everyone says they can't be.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
It didn't like being thrown about, that much was evident from the video!...A smoother approach would see that lap time tumble!

Lotus Exige, 182
For the person posting about a comparson with the 182 - I'm not a driving god, and I've only done the Bedford GT track thus far in both cars, but it's ridiculous how much faster the 250 is compared to the 182. Bigger, heavier and less fun in my opinion, but it is so, so easy to drive fast, has serious grunt out of corners and you can get on the power ridiculously early. Down the back straight on the GT track, I'm probably doing 15 - 20MPH more before braking for the chicane (and I'm braking 30/40m earlier in the 250 as well). On ordinary road tyres it's not that much faster in the corners at the apex, but overall, it all adds up. Note also, the GT circuit is a power track and, with while my 182 was probably putting out less than book, almost all 250s are putting out more than renault quote.

In all honesty, I read the article in this month's evo and was slightly disappointed that the v6 (even though its a 255) got that close. On a wet track though it would be 5 seconds faster.

I haven't got a direct comparison with a 182 and I drove my 182 much harder on track than I drive the 250 on track, but my absolutely bog standard 250 was faster on a damp track at Bedford in January than pretty much everything on the circuit other than the serious track cars (exiges and caterhams) and a 220HP type r weighing less than a ton. But moderately track prepped integras, 911s etc, were all holding me up. And I probably only get 70% out of the car!