ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

Hi,

Im a newbe on this forum and wondered if you could tell me a little about the V6...

Whats the build quality like in a V6...My G/fs 02 clio rattles like mad but im guesing that the V6 is a little better put together considering the £23 000 price tag???

What made you guys buy a V6 rather than say a Lotus exige which is in a similar price range???

Thanks

Alex...

P.S. This forum is great for info!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Hi mate, welcome to Cliosport!

The build quality on mine is way better than my 172 - I think theyve probably responded to the issues theyve had in the past. List price is £27,100 by the way!

The Clio is completely different to cars like the Exige. For one thing its easy to live with - getting in and out is easy, you can carry reasonable amounts of luggage, and theres a big dealer network to look after it for you.

Its a lot moire civilised to drive too - you can use it as an everyday car, which would be a bit difficult with an Exige Id imagine.

If its going to be your only car, Id get a V6. If youre after a weekend trackday weapon, Exige every time!

Stanced Honda S2000

the v6 wins every time. it just looks better, doesnt look like u love urslef and isnt hairdresserry. just looks mean and awesome. not a very technical description of why the v6 is better but just my opinion.

rich

Clio v6

Hi Alex.

Im and ex 172 and ex V6 owner. The V6 made a pleasant change from the rattles my 172 had, but the enjoyment of these cars tends to make the odd rattle easily forgotten.

If you look at the underpinnings of the V6 you would imagine it was knocked up in your garden shed, although it does somehow manage to be quite soundly built. I believe mine was a TWR build so I cant comment on how good a job the Renaultsport lads make of it. ( not heard any complaints )

The current retail price is from Renault £27,100 (On the Road).

The Lotus? I have not driven one of these. I am told they are very much like a Reliant Kitten with improved suspension.

The V6 is a funky looking wee car and well worth wasting a few spare quid on.

(agree with all the above ^)

The V6 is very sturdy..when ur behind the wheel..it feels like a much bigger car. I havent got any rattles after one year of owning it.. Im sure the mk2 is just as sturdy. U wont be dissapointed.

They dont need servicing every 5k miles like some of the Jap cars either.. maybe the sprint times are a fraction slower, but the complete package of the V6 more than makes up for that IMO.

I fully appreciate how good a Lotus exige is on the track, and for racing down some nice smooth country lanes for the complete thrill of the go cart handling and rapid acceleration. But, completely unliveable for every day use! If u hammer them down bumpy roads too regularly the suspension is not going to take too kindly, and cause wear and tear to the car and your wallet.

I went to look at one before my V6 (and a VXT), and getting in and out really is a pain.. then once your inside, ur basically sitting on the floor..so every bump u run over is going to be felt up ur spine. There are very few luxuries in an Exige!! To sum up... far too many compromises are needed to own one for EDU. Unless you have a second car, or extremely hardcore.. Id buy the V6. (If u asked this same question on a Lotus Forum, Im sure your answer would be completely different tho... the choice is yours).. welcome to Cliosport BTW : )

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Whats the depreciation like on Vees?

Its an aweful lot of money on a 2 seater that could lose thousands and thousands over a shor t period of time.

Sure Ive seen some mk1 vees going for about £16k-18k which is around £10k loss over just a few years.

Renault Laguna Coupe

You can get Mk1s for about 15k - the model change didnt help, but it means that 18 month old Mk1s are a real bargain. I expect mine to lose about half its value in 3 years at a guess.

Car select have them for £23,800!

Im really really hating Dai at this moment, its all your fault you welsh tw.... :mad:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by Rich_M on 27 October 2004
the v6 wins every time. it just looks better, doesnt look like u love urslef and isnt hairdresserry. just looks mean and awesome. not a very technical description of why the v6 is better but just my opinion. rich

Have you seen an exige in the flesh?! Like the V6, the exige looks very mean.

A new V6 can be had for quite a bit less than the RRP, whereas an exige cant - I think you have to ignore the ridiculous renault RRP and go with the price that they can actually be picked up for.

A new exige with a similar spec (air-con, electric windows, alcantara trim) will probably set you back the best part of 10 grand more.

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 27 October 2004

Car select have them for £23,800!

Im really really hating Dai at this moment, its all your fault you welsh tw.... :mad:
No need for that your Engleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh cu.........

:D

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

A work mate was looking at Land Rover Discoverys the other day on Parkers.

A 2 year old (4.0 V8 Auto) that would have cost £34,490 new would be worth £13,865 part ex value :confused:.

More than 20k lost in just 2 years..... Madness.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

No one can deny the untimate cars to hold their value are Cossies.

Unless a Focus Cosworth comes out then the Escos will stay at their current value (depending on condition) (£15k - £25k)

Another car that holds it superbly is the 3 door Sierra and the RS500 and the RS200. (All still over £15k for minters £30k plus for an RS200)

Even the Sapphs are still going for £8k for a minted low miler.

Lotus Carlton - 15 years old with reasonable mileage will still set you back over £20k and now its lost £20k it will stay as its depreciated as much as its likely to.

If anything these cars are getting rarer and more appreciated so will possibly appreciate in value from now on.

i agree with those, but they are homoglation specials, and the V6 would have been teh same if reno had spent more time on the design etc, and not released the mk2.

integrales have been known to go for £20k+ for the later EVO 3 models.

on the other scale, grand cherokee jeep 4.7 V8. my pal had one brand new 03 reg for £36k fully loaded, sold it 9 months later for £21k!!

i think the V6 has average deprecation.

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 27 October 2004

No one can deny the untimate cars to hold their value are Cossies.

Unless a Focus Cosworth comes out then the Escos will stay at their current value (depending on condition) (£15k - £25k)

Another car that holds it superbly is the 3 door Sierra and the RS500 and the RS200. (All still over £15k for minters £30k plus for an RS200)

Even the Sapphs are still going for £8k for a minted low miler.

Lotus Carlton - 15 years old with reasonable mileage will still set you back over £20k and now its lost £20k it will stay as its depreciated as much as its likely to.

If anything these cars are getting rarer and more appreciated so will possibly appreciate in value from now on.

You are talking about old cars that have not been in production for some time.

Cossies used to drop quite a lot over 3 years a few years ago but prices have now risen.

V6s will also go up once production have stopped....mark my words.

Simon.

Most £25-30k cars that are made today drop alot in 3 years if still in production.

clio 182

new list 2003/53 plate

dealer retail second hand

11750 loss 2932

private

9970 loss 4712

part ex

8810 loss 5872

clio v6 mk2 2003/53

new

retail

17950 loss 9132

private

15230 loss 11852

part ex

13495 loss 13586

fabia vrs 2003/53

new

retail

10860 loss 1175

private

10380 loss 1655

part ex

9430 loss 2605

so what does that tell you ooh i dunno lol

It tells you to shop around mate....anyone paying £27100 for a new V6 is STUPID, you can get them for alot less, around £24500 is an average price.

In a few years people will look at Clio 182s and think its just an old Clio and worth bugger all, where as they will look at a CLIO V6 and think, wow CLASSIC worth more now than when I bought it.....lol;)

Simon.

Are those losses maent to be over 1 or 3 years??

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 27 October 2004

yup exactly but people do lol
well I didnt.....

With only about 400 V6s in this country I am sure that 10 years after production these cars will be very rare and demand much more money, just like Cossies, before end of production you could pick up second hand ones cheap, but now they cost alot more.....cant see the 182 doing that with so many around and so noramal looking, can you??? lol

SImon.

OK, I see your point now, you reckon its best to buy a 3 year old car then??

The only problem with that is you have no idea how the last owner treated the car?? could be lots of repair bills awaiting you?

But for money, second hand will of course always be cheaper than new...;):D

Simon

Remapped derv Golf

Mint Capri 2.8 Specials are worth around £10k - £15k sometimes. When 5 years ago they were bearly worth 1/4 of that.

If I can afford to buy a V6 now and put it in storage (stupid thing to do with such a car I know!!) for 15 years. It would be worth a fortune!

There was an RS500 in a local showroom a while back (15,000 miles) for £20k!

Renault Laguna Coupe

End of the day you dont buy a Clio as a financial investment, you buy it because its fun.

In the highly unlikely event that it turns out to be a classic, you got lucky.

If you want to hang on to your money, buy some premium bonds and get the bus :)

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 27 October 2004

clio 182

new list 2003/53 plate

dealer retail second hand

11750 loss 2932

private

9970 loss 4712

part ex

8810 loss 5872

clio v6 mk2 2003/53

new

retail

17950 loss 9132

private

15230 loss 11852

part ex

13495 loss 13586

fabia vrs 2003/53

new

retail

10860 loss 1175

private

10380 loss 1655

part ex

9430 loss 2605

so what does that tell you ooh i dunno lol

errrrr... WTF! He asked what you think of the build quality.. whats all this losing money crap. Who cares, like a few intelligent people have pointed out! and I dont think ANYONE really wants a crap Capri.