ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

** Clio Williams Engine Tuning Questions **

I notice that the 2 litre Williams engine is the same bore and stroke as the Clio 172 engine.

How similar are the engines? Are they the same block with some different top end components?

What sort of power with can you get out of the williams engine with decent induction kit, free slow exhaust, chip?

What about if you have some head work and different cams?

Im buying a house and might have to get rid of the 172. If I do then I will go for a Clio Williams and therefore the interest in the engine and tuning.

Cheers,

Simon

the williams is an even better drivers car and with a few mods its not hard to push out the same power as a 172 or get close to 200 BHP. with Some wilder cams, keep the original induction system and use a free flow panel filter or use something like a pipercross viper. Get somebody like hillpower to do a stage 2 tune up and it should fly. The old F2 rally williams used to push out 220 with more to come.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Dazz F has just had his on the rollers with a hillpower chip, induction kit and magnex exhaust and was making around 165bhp..nice.
With cams and a sorted head I think you should see 180-185bhp.

What size is the Air intake pipe connecting the airbox to the engine on the Willy lump??

On a 172 it is 70 mm, is this the same?

Cheers,

Simon

BMW 320d Sport

There is *no* intake pipe between the airbox and the engine. On a 16v or Willy, the airbox bolts directly to the throttle body. Theres no room for an intermediate pipe!

Clio 172 cup

MATBROWN? what mods have you done to your engine so far have you had the hillpower chip put on? Im going to have another go at fitting my decat pipe on sunday so Im hoping for a bit more power.

Nick,

If space could be found then is it possible to put a short pipe on with a 90 degree bend on it and then attach an airbox? or is there absolutely no space available.

Im just wandering whether it would be possible to fit the BMC induction kit and feed cold air in from near the fog light??

Trophy

Raiderman,
Ive got the hillpower 2l conversion with modified head, piper cams and vernier pulleys, hillpower chip, magnex full system inc de-cat and a K&N 57i."align=absmiddle>

I think thats it??

Mat.

BMW 320d Sport

Simon, Ive been thinking the exact same thing - fab up a big bore pipe to attach to the throttle body, have this linked to a BMC airbox and then the usual route down to the wheelarch air feed.

Would work better than the original airbox maybe?

Maybe you could use the 172 intake hose part?. Whats the diameter of the intake hose on the Clio 16v/ Williams?. Or maybe just use a Samco silicon hose?.

Chun.

It would be cool if the 172 part fitted. The MK II part is slightly different in angle but same bore. So if 16v has same size bore then space permitting I reckon it would work !

The air box is covered in Carbon Fibre which is supposed to stop heat getting in.

Would be interesting to see. Can you measure the throttle body Nick and lets us know what the diameter is?

Cheers,

Simon

BMW 320d Sport

Well the problem is the throttle body is an egg shape. It has two throttle plates, a small one and a big one underneath, hence the egg shape. But Ill try and measure the circumference all the way round.