ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio with a baby?

Inferno 182
Hi Guys,
Having a slight dilemma about the car at the moment. Have had a 182 for 2 years, love it. We are now expecting our 1st child :approve: and common sense says the Clio will not be big enough :(.
Just wondering if anyone has run a Clio as the only family car with a baby/toddler? Is it possible? Boot big enough for a pram and all the crap that goes with one?
I am lucky in that I don't need the car for work, it is really only for trips to see the family, days out etc.
Could the Clio still manage?

Iceberg Ph1
Probably be a squeeze but I'm sure its possible.. I had a Fiat Punto and at the time 2 kids (both 3) plus my ex Mrs.. And we managed... Granted we didn't need a pram..

Get a Quinny Zapp.. the pram is mega SMALL!! Will fit no hassle in the Clio!

535d / t5 caravelle
Well me and my sister grew up in a nova gte, so a clio shouldn't be a problem, try an mr2!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I have 2 kids, we have 2 cars, but this still applies.

I got the Clio while we were still using my daughters big pushchair (she walks everywhere now), that would fit in the boot spot on and that thing was huge.

When we went for a day out etc, we would only ever use one car. The Clio is big enough (IMO) to get my family in (me, my lass, my 4year old son and my 1year old daughter).

The seatbelts are a good size for the car seat (having had mitsubishi's and proton's in the past, I have found the seatbelts to be pretty short if no isofix base was around) and there's plenty enough protection for me to feel all occupants are safe.

We have 2 cars as our hours of work overlap and we work in two different directions from our house, however, if it wasn't for this, we would only have the Clio.

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
I don't see the issue, when I was a kid my parents had Xr2's etc, and we manage to look after our niece with no issue in my Clio and her 107.

R27
Congratulations on the good news.

I'm sure you could manage with the clio, it isn't the most practical car for a small child but if the pram fits in the boot then i don't see why you have to change it.

I wouldn't say a clio is too small, alot of people cope, although, I would want the absolute safest car that I could afford if my child was going to be travelling in it, and the clio ain't that car.

R26, R27
Just got rid of my 172 a few weeks ago. Had a maxi cosi pram that just fit in the boot. It can be tedious carrying pram and car seat but if you can live with it then no probs. Got myself an r26 and thats not really much bigger more room in rear of car but the boot is not much bigger than the clio.if you are going to travel alot with your baby then you may have to change. It is good that you can turn off passenger airbag. Don't know if you can do that in other cars. Just give it a go. I do miss the Clio alot

Hyundai i40
no probs had a 106 gti when ads was 0-6 mths....then clios 1-3 yrs

Keep the clio for sure then you will still be in a car you enjoy driving

Make sure you check ur pram can fit in the boot before u buy it

And if it fills the boot then you have the back seat to put the baby bag/travel cot on the back seat.

Once then can sit and there big enough you can get a proper fold up buggy, then you can easily fit everything in the boot

S3 Sportback, Ninja
I have a 2 year old and theres no problem tbh he gets him self in and out when he was younger it was a bit of a ball ache but if you like your car you'll put up with it, just make sure u make sure the push chair fits before you buy it! We have a quinny and it will fold up into nothing and prob fit in a mini's boot.

Inferno 182
Cool!!
Thanks guys, you've put my mind at rest. We'll keep the car and only consider changing if we really find we need to. Hopefully we can make do, we don't even use the car for shopping very often as we are in London and everything is very near.
I always got the impression that people swapping their fun car for an Audi A4 estate was a bit unecessary!
My and my sister were driven around in an Imp!

Hyundai i40
totally alolymic, if you find its too small then you can get rid at a later date, but try the 182 for now, see if you can cope with it.

You will regret selling it if you sell it now

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Clio is fine for kids mate dont worry, just a pain in the arse getting the car seat in and out if you swap around cars.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
My lad has a recaro baby seat he absolutely loves getting in the car and getting into his very own 'racing seat'

Laguna sport tourer
i have a 182 and have a 2 and 4 year olds not much of a problem except having 2 doors just make sure u buy a pushchair that fits in the boot

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
myne was ok for the first couple of months, pushchair had to be rammed in the boot. When it came to a bigger car seat it was game over and good bye clio. Now got a golf barge with loads more room.

About to trade the 182 in for an R26 for a little more room, (only a little more tho!) You can cram alot into the clio you'll be suprised. Only problem i found is you can happily go window shopping in a clio with a baby + pram + carseat, BUT after you've bought more than 1 bags worth of shopping things get interesting.

Solution is window shop with clio, go home drop everyone off and go back to the shop to buy, more time in the car having fun, simples :approve:

Williams 3
Er sorry to piss on your chips but Recaro child seats don't get a very good safety rating. I'd have thought that would be priority for some parents, but evidentally not.

Inferno 182
Er sorry to piss on your chips but Recaro child seats don't get a very good safety rating. I'd have thought that would be priority for some parents, but evidentally not.

Okay steady on, I'm sure it is the priority for every parent but we don't need to turn this Forum into a baby one do we, plenty of those for objective advice.

Err, sorry to piss on your chips but if you bothered to do some research you'd find this isn't the case.

http://www.recaro.com/fileadmin/pdf/press/KiSi/Young_Profi_plus_Test_06-07engl.pdf

Which? Top 3

Best Buys

Maxi Cosi Cabriofix with Easyfix base
Price: £200
Score: 82%
Our testing has become even tougher since we made this a Best Buy in 2006, but it still passed with flying colours – achieving our first 'Excellent' child seat result.

Crash protection is excellent, and the instructions are clear.

Britax Cosytot Isofix

Price: £165
Score: 79%
The Best Buy Britax Cosytot Isofix was the first seat for newborns to use Isofix mounting system. It's easy to install and offers excellent stability – protecting children well in front and side crashes.

Designed for babies from birth to about a year (13kg), this rearward-facing seat uses a support leg that rests on the car floor rather than a strap for the third mounting point. The support leg needs a flat, solid floor, so it won't suit all cars – always refer to the manufacturer's guidelines before buying.

Recaro Young Profi Plus with base
Price: £165
Score: 78%
This Recaro seat is designed for babies from birth to about a year (13kg) in rear-facing modes. It offers great protection in Isofix mode, although it's not as safe when used with the adult seat belt.

It comes with a base which is secured using the Isofix mounts, and has a support leg that rests on the car floor rather than a strap for the third mounting point. The support leg needs a flat, solid floor, so it won't suit all cars – always refer to the manufacturer's guidelines before buying.

Clown

Williams 3
Woooah Spoonie I didnt direct my comment at anyone in particular, so wind your neck in a bit. You are correct about the Profi Plus being a good seat. However Recaro baby seats don't get a good report in general. I was not talking specifically about one particular seat.

Would I be right in assuming you have the Proffi Plus perchance?

Calling me a clown because I don't agree with your point of view is a little immature, don't you think?

Woooah Spoonie I didnt direct my comment at anyone in particular, so wind your neck in a bit. You are correct about the Profi Plus being a good seat. However Recaro baby seats don't get a good report in general. I was not talking specifically about one particular seat.

Would I be right in assuming you have the Proffi Plus perchance?

Calling me a clown because I don't agree with your point of view is a little immature, don't you think?
Yes, was a little immature. Sorry. Bad day.