ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clios being praised for once!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

How reliable is your car? (From What Car?)

If you want a supermini that won’t give you big worries, the Renault Clio is your best bet. According to Warranty Direct’s figures, the chances are less than one in 10 that owners will have made a warranty claim, making it the best supermini and one of the top 10 cars overall.

The only downside is that it has the second-highest average repair costs and, on average, the lengthiest repair times. However, given the car’s reliability, that’s perhaps not too much of a risk.

Following the Clio in second and third places are the last-generation Nissan Micra and Fiat Punto, with 15 and 19 claims per 100 vehicles respectively. The Micra’s performance is all the more impressive because it’s one of oldest cars here. With an average age of well over five years, it’s more than twice as old as the two cars either side of it.

As for the Punto, it’s proof that Fiat is raising its game, this latest version scoring considerably better than the model it replaced. However, Fiat still has work to do as two of its other cars, the Seicento and Cinquecento, are in the bottom four. The Seicento’s showing is particularly disappointing as it’s the second-youngest of the cars on Warranty Direct’s fleet. To make matters worse, there’s no consolation in cheap repair costs or quick repair times. In fact, it’s one of the more expensive cars to fix, with the electrics the source of problems in more than half of the cases.

In many instances, newer cars prove to be the more reliable, but there’s no direct correlation. Take the Ford Fiesta, for example. The 1989-96 model is the oldest car here, yet it’s more reliable than half a dozen much younger cars.

Overall, the best Ford in the survey was the company’s smallest, the Ka. Its 22 claims per 100 cars was impressive enough, although better still was its average repair cost – at a touch over £100, it’s more than £50 less than the next cheapest, and four times cheaper than the most expensive.

That particular unhappy distinction falls to the Rover 100, which suffers most from electrical woes – the fault in almost 40% of cases. Its average repair cost was an astonishing £410, and 45% of owners have had to make a claim.

Perhaps the only crumb of comfort for Rover 100 owners is that their car wasn’t the least reliable, finishing third from the bottom of the table. The Fiat Seicento was next to bottom, but propping up the rest was the Citroen AX, with more than half of owners having to make a claim. However, like Fiat, Citroen is clearly pulling up its socks. The Saxo that replaced the AX has a reliability record almost twice as good, and finished in the top half of the table.

Both cars followed the general trend, though, with just two or three areas giving the most frequent problems. In every case, the axles or suspension were one of the two most major sources of claims; and, with just a couple of exceptions, either the engine or electrical system was the other.

The Volkswagen Lupo and Nissan Micra suffered high numbers of problems with brakes, but troubles with the transmission, fuel and ventilation systems were rare.

http://www.whatcar.com/NonCar/105442496.jpg

i think its a good point with citroen, i had a VTS when hot hatches were in the wilderness and no matter what i did to it it just took it, much respect, and i had both versions as well

Mk1 Phase3 is the most reliable Clio.. from them all.. (according to another survey)

Look tho, at the Clio.. its got the highest average repair time.. and the 2nd highest cost to fix.. but just because a few less didnt go wrong, they are the best?

Uh.. Heh..

This is a joke right...I think clios are one of the most unreliable and worse built cars ive ever owned. Mine going back in on wednesday for the sixth time with the same fault...

Maybe the Clio owners just put up with the various problems they come across; the figures dont always show the full picture. E.g. Ive decided that the airbag warning light that comes on randomly is merely the Clio showing off its character!

Certainly for build quality the Clios dont fare too well, but thats another issue I suppose.

I gotta say when I had a VTS I looked at clio 172 and thought they look more solid and put together better from the out side but my 172s had the odd teething problem when new.

Unlike the VTS and MR2 which both never had enything go wrong. The old 16vs look better put together infact if it was the other way round and the current clio was out before the old 16vs/williams apart from power and the odd bit of technology which would you say looked more applealing Id still but a 16v if it was new and had more mod cons + bit more power it looked more distictive unlike my black 172 which might as well be a 1.2 for all the road presence its got. I still love it though

clios dont seem to brake down from my experience but so have little annoying rattles and squeeks, but nothing to really worry about.