ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clios with replacement engines - values?

Exige, M140i
Hi everyone.

What are your thoughts on Clios with replacement engines? Does the ‘matching numbers’ rule apply or is the attitude that an engine is an engine?

For context, I am interested in a low mileage 172 Cup that had a replacement engine fitted and wanted to know people thoughts on this.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Wouldn't bother me too much, think I'd rather know the reasons why before I decide to buy it.

If it's oil starvation then it suggests the car hadn't been maintained properly but an engine and fitting isn't too far away from the price of all belts

Exige, M140i
Wouldn't bother me too much, think I'd rather know the reasons why before I decide to buy it.

If it's oil starvation then it suggests the car hadn't been maintained properly but an engine and fitting isn't too far away from the price of all belts

Thank you mate!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If you’re buying it and planning on keeping it as an investment, then it could potentially put buyers/collectors off it. Unless of course there are valid and documented reasons for the engine change.
There are 3 different f4r variants as well:
F4r 730 - ph1
F4r 736 - ph2 172
F4r 738 - ph2 182 (different inlet/breather setup)

It needs to have the correct 736 variant imo IF it’s being purchased with a view to it becoming a desirable car in the future.

If you’re buying it for any other reason, it wouldn’t put me off, as an engine can suffer from mechanical failure at any point I guess. But I’d definitely be asking the questions as to why it had the replacement.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
If it's not documented where is the engine number to match it to the chassis?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have sold 30+ cars per month for the last 18/19 years. That’s a f**k load of cars. From 90’s Fast Fords to Clio V6’s, to Classic Jags. I cannot remember a single person checking an engine number, not one.

Clio 182 cup
I have sold 30+ cars per month for the last 18/19 years. That’s a f**k load of cars. From 90’s Fast Fords to Clio V6’s, to Classic Jags. I cannot remember a single person checking an engine number, not one.
I've just noticed on my v5 my engine number is unknown could this be a sign engines been swapoed

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
The location of the engine number is to the right of the oil filter near the end of the engine. It's almost certain the number would have rusted away by now unless the car has been in a garage all its life .

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
It's more an American thing that, UK buyers don't give a s**t about matching numbers. Provided whatever engine in it is appropriate for the car who cares.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Of the 3x 182s I've owned, 2x had 172 engines, one was a heap and one was a minter you would never have expected.

And ironically of my 4 172s, 2x had 182 engines!!

dan's cast offs.
As said the engine number rusts away in no time. Date and time of birth on the head though fwir?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Given the number of engines that randomly drop a valve it's always a possibility any 1*2 has had a replacement at some point.