ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ClioSport 172, Misfire, intermittent 3 cylinders. Coil pack connection? HELP PLEASE!!

ClioSport 172
Hey guys and girls,

Right i've only just purchased this 172. Lovely and clean, all the normal issues were fixed and replaced. Couldn't see anything wrong with it and the bloke was as wet as an otters pocket so he definitely didn't sell it to me as a 'dud'.. I just have a curse when it comes to cars.

200 miles in after giving her some beans, passed through a deepish puddle, slowly (its french remember).. came out the other side and proceeded to floor it up the hill... All good.. 100 meters up the road I hit 3 cylinders (on christmas day - ho F**king ho!)

I suspected water where it shouldn't be, not the case, everything was dry that needed to be.. Replaced plugs, no joy, HT leads, still no joy, narrowed it down to a single cylinder (no2) so decided to replace an injector (had a message on self diagnostic on dash that injector fault was read) replaced injector.. Ran a little better... not constantly on 3 now.. just intermittent. More when I give it some beans.. If i'm real gentle it runs on 4.. Also on first startup in the morning for about 1 minute it drives fine?!

I've had it scanned, the bloke gave me a list as long as my arm of codes.. all sorts.. he advised me to replace the coil pack, apparently moisture (steam) can build up under that stupid plastic cover and wreck your coil pack and this causes all sorts of codes to be thrown up.. So.. I went and bought a coil pack.. EML light disappeared from the dash but it still runs like s**t.. so I must have fixed something? prff.

Anyway, i've driven it for a week 'as it is' purely because I was about ready to jump off a bridge and leave the car on some low lying land and hope the floods resolved my problems. I've now decided I need to get this eff'in thing sorted. I've been reading all sorts of threads on here and tried various things. No joy.. Really appreciate any thoughts?

As it is the cars running ok unless you're giving it throttle, or when its idling..

Today I had another peak under the bonnet.. With the key turned on, there is a buzz coming from the throttle unit.. is this normal? I've also noted that the connector onto the coil pack is really quite crappy, think i'm to blame from removing it all so many times in the last month, I'm now wondering if i've damaged it.. I also can only see 3 pins inside that connector... which to me seems wrong as there's 4 pins on the coil pack for it to mate with... Can someone possibly have a nose inside their connector to tell me if there should be 3 or 4 pins inside that plug? Think one might have gone walkie's inside the plastic??? Hence causing me so much sh*t!

Any advice, tips welcome but mainly just want to know if people have 3 or 4 pins? 4 would make sense as there are 4 cylinders and there's an empty spot for the 4th on the plug..
Thanks a bunch,
Tom

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Re: ClioSport 172, Misfire, intermittent 3 cylinders. Coil pack connection? HELP PLEA

The buzzing is normal as is the three pins inside the four pin coil pack plug:

1 - Trigger 1/4
2 - Trigger 2/3
3 - Supply +12v

The plug has been used on loads of Renaults since 2001 and the spare was for what used to be a suppressor (but is not needed on current generation ignition systems)

ClioSport 172
Re: ClioSport 172, Misfire, intermittent 3 cylinders. Coil pack connection? HELP PLEA

baaallllsss.. thanks for the reply.. think i've put this post in the wrong section. Anyone any bright ideas on what to try next? Should I maybe test resistance on some sensors? TPS sensor? MAP sensor etc?

ClioSport 172

The coil pack connector won't mate correctly with the coil pack though.. it doesn't click in properly or seat all the way down.. also, if I poke this about give it a fiddle I can hear a click coming from a relay or something.. almost like its making/breaking connection somewhere.. is there a way to bypass or test those pins? because the faults are and have been pointing to cylinders 2 and 3.... it was the 2nd cylinder I replaced the injector on and that wasn't running correctly.. Its showing a fault on injector 3 too apparently.. so maybe its the connection to the coil pack that's faulty?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

If the coil isn't receiving instruction to fire then you won't get a spark, simple - so yes, a poor connection could cause this issue.

Pull the plug and inspect it closely for signs of obvious damage/deformation in the guides and pins to see what is stopping it locating correctly to the coilpack itself.

Mick

make sure that your HT leads are not being crushed/pulled out as you are guiding them around the inlet manifold.

/y0z

Clio.

When you say you replaced an injector on cyl no 2, you do realise that cyl no 1 is closest to the flywheel on these things?
(Not teaching you to suck eggs obviously).

ClioSport 172

Yep. So replaced second in from left as ur looking at the block.. so this morning it ran fine from cold. For about 2 minutes (coming up to temp) then it ran lumpy again.. hmmmm...

ClioSport 172

And if im real gentle n feed in the gas slowly it runs fine.. and will do right through the rev range (allthough it takes forever to get her singing because im hardly giving it any throttle).. on idle its lumpy

Clio.

Yep. So replaced second in from left as ur looking at the block.. so this morning it ran fine from cold. For about 2 minutes (coming up to temp) then it ran lumpy again.. hmmmm...

Nope, as you open the bonnet and look at the engine, number 1 cylinder is closest to the gearbox/flywheel.....2nd from the left is number 3 cylinder.....number 4 is closest to the timing belt.

ClioSport 172

Ok. Thanks. Doesnt matter tbh because its the number 2 lead off the coil pack.. that cylinder is the one missfiring.. so thats the injector I replaced. To no avail. Seems to be a problem with that cylinder somewhere.. unplugged the injector whilst running and it made even more of a difference so it must be squirting something.. hmm

dan's cast offs.

You can still have a faulty injector that will fire. Measure the resistance on it.

ClioSport 172

But its a new injector on that cylinder.. anyone know the resistance values? What they should be? Odd because it runs fine when freshly started in the morning (for a minute) and when you drive it real gentle. Only accelerating / idle causes the missfire

dan's cast offs.

Should be about 16 ohms. The way you described the injector you replaced its the wrong one. As you look at the engine from the front of the car you've got four cylinders, A B C D, what injector did you replace?

ClioSport 172

B... The cylinder on the end of the HT lead numbered '2' on the coil pack... this is the cylinder thats playing up. If I pull the HT lead off the pack whilst running it makes no difference to the engine.. hence why I figured this is the faulty injector (ive already replaced coil pack, leads and plugs. And there is a spark... so fuel would be my next port of call? But no joy. Hmm.

dan's cast offs.

B is number 3.

ClioSport 172

But its labeled 2 on the coilpack yes? Or have I someHow mixed them up? Surely if ive cocked the HT leads up somehow we'd have a rathe more major misfire?

dan's cast offs.

It runs a wasted spark but can't think if it is 2&3 paired up?

ClioSport 172

Hmm.. well as i have it.... numbered from the coil - ( they're marked) 1 is far left n 4 is far right..

Clio.

2&3 fire at same time.
1&4 fire at same time.
It's called a wasted spark system.

Clio.

Like I said earlier...and said by someone else.... It sounds from your description that you've changed the wrong injector.....

ClioSport 172

I understand what you're saying.. but forget the numbers. I removed the HT lead from a cylinder and it made no difference to the engine.. so.. i traced that HT lead to a cylinder and replaced the corresponding injector.. surely this way its impossible to replace the wrong injector?