ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CSF23 ClioSport Festival 2023 - Book Tickets Now!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
What's your route up through Wales, mate? Any idea yet? Depending on your route I could have the kettle on just in case... :ROFLMAO::coffee:

Hi mate. We haven’t decided on an exact route yet. Was considering dropping into Wales from Gloucester and heading up to Horsehoe pass and then up through Snowdonia. We will be travelling up on the Thursday.

What’s the ponderosa like for food mate? Was thinking that might be a good place for lunch.

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got any recommendations for a decent (but cheap) full face helmet? This will be my first time on track but hopefully not my last, so I'm looking for something that will last a while, but won't break the bank. It doesn't need to be fancy or colourful. Cheers boys!

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
Get an open-face helmet if you're not going in hairdressers cars

I've got a full face and every time I put it on I curse myself. An open face is so much more comfortable
Ah fair enough, hadn't considered the comfort side of things!

I don't plan on crashing, but from what I'd read, a full face is much safer than an open face in a crash? I don't fancy doing a Dale Earnhardt and smashing my face through the steering wheel due to lack of full face protection 😅

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Ah fair enough, hadn't considered the comfort side of things!

I don't plan on crashing, but from what I'd read, a full face is much safer than an open face in a crash? I don't fancy doing a Dale Earnhardt and smashing my face through the steering wheel due to lack of full face protection 😅
I take it you've never done a trackday before?

All crash helmets are like having an oven on your head, I can't imagine how hot a full face would be on a warm day, i've only done a few track days but i've learnt a couple things.

If you've never driven on track then I suggest driving at about 60% of your ability until you learn the track, then build it up to 80% of your ability, if it's a bone dry day and your car's working perfectly then take it to 90%, if you're at a 100% and something unexpected happens like someone spins in front of you, or drops some fluid, you'll need that extra 10% to get out of trouble, at 100% you've got nowhere to go other than a recovery truck and even at Blyton which is a piss easy track to drive we've seen serious accidents where people needed to go to hospital.

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
I take it you've never done a trackday before?

All crash helmets are like having an oven on your head, I can't imagine how hot a full face would be on a warm day, i've only done a few track days but i've learnt a couple things.

If you've never driven on track then I suggest driving at about 60% of your ability until you learn the track, then build it up to 80% of your ability, if it's a bone dry day and your car's working perfectly then take it to 90%, if you're at a 100% and something unexpected happens like someone spins in front of you, or drops some fluid, you'll need that extra 10% to get out of trouble, at 100% you've got nowhere to go other than a recovery truck and even at Blyton which is a piss easy track to drive we've seen serious accidents where people needed to go to hospital.
Nope this will be my first!

I've done a fair amount of 30 minute karting races in the past so I'm used to having my head roasted in the helmet, but granted that was indoor karting wearing a full race suit.

And I appreciate the advice, that was going to be my plan to begin within. I've watched a few videos on Anglesey now and it looks like a bit of a tricky one to learn, so I'll take it slow and work my way up to a pace that I'm comfortable with.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Anyone got any recommendations for a decent (but cheap) full face helmet? This will be my first time on track but hopefully not my last, so I'm looking for something that will last a while, but won't break the bank. It doesn't need to be fancy or colourful. Cheers boys!

Highly recommend Zamp Helmets - I can give forum members a 10% discount. Everything from plain helmets to painted and carbon fibre 👌 Visors and accessories galore.

I use them myself and have been partnered with them for a good few years, @Chode Lint had a feel of mine and was surprised at how light it was with a HANS device fitted.

Coming from someone who smashed up his noggin using a cheap LS2 helmet, safety equipment isn't something you should scrimp on 😅

Attachments

• 116A69C3-8C86-483D-8CB6-C8A889BAEF73.jpeg
    116A69C3-8C86-483D-8CB6-C8A889BAEF73.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 37870886-9704-4BE2-905B-116A9BE34A76.jpeg
    37870886-9704-4BE2-905B-116A9BE34A76.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 4C295522-38B4-49F4-94D4-2756F03A117A.jpeg
    4C295522-38B4-49F4-94D4-2756F03A117A.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 21

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member

I've done a fair amount of 30 minute karting races in the past so I'm used to having my head roasted in the helmet, but granted that was indoor karting wearing a full race suit.

And I appreciate the advice, that was going to be my plan to begin within. I've watched a few videos on Anglesey now and it looks like a bit of a tricky one to learn, so I'll take it slow and work my way up to a pace that I'm comfortable with.
People get the red mist like they're trying to get pole in an F1 race, just drive your own car at the speed you're comfortable with and keep a constant eye on your rear view, if you're in someone's way in the corners then tough sh*t for them, it's not a race and you'll let them past preferably on a straight where you feel comfortable, don't let anyone pressure you into driving in a way that makes you uncomfortable or at worse nervous and scared, it's meant to be fun.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I can vouch and say those helmets are mega impressive!!

It weighed less than half of what my helmet does even with the radio and HANS, makes me want to get one as I get neck ache after being on track

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member

If you're thinning on top and going for a full-face helmet, invest in a Balaclava.

1. In case you set on fire (joking)
2. It'll soak up the sweat
3. Stop the helmet from rubbing on your napper and making it very sore.

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Highly recommend Zamp Helmets - I can give forum members a 10% discount. Everything from plain helmets to painted and carbon fibre 👌 Visors and accessories galore.

I use them myself and have been partnered with them for a good few years, @Chode Lint had a feel of mine and was surprised at how light it was with a HANS device fitted.

Coming from someone who smashed up his noggin using a cheap LS2 helmet, safety equipment isn't something you should scrimp on 😅
Come again?? @Chode Lint had a good feel of your helemt? Maybe some things should be kept secret...

sub

ClioSport Club Member
  RS200

I'm also going to be on the track in the morning session, but it'll be my second track outing.

My first was last week at Oulton park, and it was amazing.

My lessons from that day were:
  • Driving on a track feels a lot safer than driving at speed on a road
  • Tyres are magical items and are far more grippy than I expected
  • People are friendly and wave if you move over and let them past
  • You'll have a much heightened sense of awareness of where the other cars are
  • Clios aren't actually that fast compared to some of the other crazy cars on an open track day.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Whats weather forecast looking like?

I have a choice of yoko a048 medium hard compound, cup2's or pilotsport 5. Avoiding taking 2 sets of wheels if poss but dont want to be using the ps5 in the dry..decisions decisions.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Its said rain all week and its pissed down all week, id say its been pretty accurate :LOL:

Cup2 were suprisingly good in the wet going across a635 yesterday so tempted to take them
if you're worrying about the weather already mate, get yourself a set of used wets.