ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ClioSport Gumball

German Barge

Well, after having just watched the Gumball 3000 documentary, its given me an idea to perhaps generate some interest to try and replicate the same thing amongst the CS crew, and have a tour from south to north, or north to south. Not sure if this would work, or if people would be willing to do so, but with enough interest who knows it could happen.

Basically i was thinking to come up with some sort of sponsorship sceme, perhaps we could raise money for something, not sure what, and then obviously each member given a sponsorship form to fill out. We could then set up a designated place to start i.e. edinburgh, canterbury, london etc etc along with a time and date. Then to have maybe 3 or 4 stops at hotels, or travel inns or whatever, with say pubs, clubs and other activities near by. Then have a finish point at the other end of the country.

Its just an idea, and its probably been mentioned hundreds of times, but you know when you watch something, and it makes you think.. wells here me thinking. :)

Any comments, or critisms welcome.

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

dunno if peeps would go for that??? sponsor me for the petrol?? and for the pubbin side??? lol sounds good to me but others may not think so!

German Barge

lol, well i would get money off mates no worries, but as you say, for others it may not be as easy. Perhaps bring a best mate along or something with ya. Video camera and all that.

clio williams, Ph1 172

sounds good dude. might be interested. sponsorship might just cover the fuel used in the evo. well maybe not hehe

Sounds like a good idea to me although it would take a hell of a lot of sponsorship. Maybe organise a ralley first with clio owners and whilst everyone is there get some flyers printed up and dish em out im pretty sure youd get a lot of interest

Volvo S60 D5

Sounds like a great idea dude, although I think itd be twenty times better if it were a cross-europe rally, spend 1/2 the day driving, the afternoon on the beach and the evening having a laugh/pubs/beach parties!

Clio1400

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

I went with RSC last month. Was a mint weekend, long drive there, about 30 cars, all with stickers, food and pi55 up sat night, then a fun drive back again sunday.

i personally, duno bout others, but think somat for the UK shud b organised if not at the same time at another point in time later in the year.

i would rather keep to the UK to keep costs a little lower and also have a few more people

Jay

E36 323i coupe

True, but with France - we have 15 cars and around 32 people booked already - the costs are very low, with only one stop, and at a campsite. Plus its an adventure into the unknown.

Quote: Originally posted by Jon1978 on 16 March 2004
Great idea - but I already thought of it!

as did another member over a year ago, but sadly, IIRC the scale he was planning was just a little too big, and the plans never transpired, essentially yours is not really a gumball, but in fact a large convoy on holiday in france, dont get me wrong, the holiday is a good idea and all, but a real gumball in this country would be a fantastic idea

Volvo S60 D5

True, but with France - we have 15 cars and around 32 people booked already - the costs are very low, with only one stop, and at a campsite. Plus its an adventure into the unknown.
One stop? Not sure if thats really my cup of tea...

The best idea I think would be do aim to cover about 300 miles a day in the morning/early afternoon, then spend the afternoon setting up camp & spending the time doing nothing else but getting a tan, followed by a BBQ in the evening and a good old car chat into the night, lol!

Itd probably have to be over about seven days, and im sure sponsorship could be sought somehow. Itd be a right laugh and probably wouldnt cost all that much either.

How do you just manange one single stop? How long is the trip?

Clio1400

ok if u want 2 do a gumball stylee event, y not combine it for charity and do lands end to john ogroats. but in a relay style. for instance cornwall to devon etc with various members cars. it would take way 2 much time 2 explain proply so if interested let me know!

You cant do a real "Gumball" in the UK, as it counts as a race.. PC Plod (rightfully IMHO) doesnt allow racing on public roads..

The RSC have done two now, basically a big convoy down to Newquay and back... We werent allowed to call in a Gumball.. Id be careful with those stickers youve made up Jon1978 - Youre running the risk of cars being impounded with "Gumball" printed on your cars.... (In the UK at least).

I would be up for it, newbie and everything but sounds a laugh. Is it a members only thing?? I keep forgetting to print the membership form off.

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Clio1400 on 16 March 2004

One stop? Not sure if thats really my cup of tea...

The best idea I think would be do aim to cover about 300 miles a day in the morning/early afternoon, then spend the afternoon setting up camp & spending the time doing nothing else but getting a tan, followed by a BBQ in the evening and a good old car chat into the night, lol!

Itd probably have to be over about seven days, and im sure sponsorship could be sought somehow. Itd be a right laugh and probably wouldnt cost all that much either.

How do you just manange one single stop? How long is the trip?

Clio1400
The journey from Calais to Revel (just south of Toulouse) is around 635miles, and will take around 9hours not including the 4x1hour stops at service stations. We will have two drivers per car, swapping when required.

I appreciate its not everyones cup of tea, and for that reason there are around 15 cars going and not all the 1000 or so members of the club!

A real gumball is a race, and I for one, value my licence!

As for the stickers... they are very subtle and everyone agrees inoffensive. There is no reason why we should be impounded! :D