ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clip 197 cams with turbo?

clio 182
I have this week purchased 197 cams for my 182 clio I got Farley cheap, just a query I am looking into turboing my car in the future and I will e fitting the cams shortly, someone of my mates knows someone that can time them correctly, what I'm wondering is.... can I turbo my car with the 197 cams in? Will it need timing different again or has anyone else done this? I'm thinking off building my own tubo engine forged and if I can use the 197 cams that would be great but would like to know before I go ahead with it :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Personally mate I'd sell your 197 cams and use the money to go towards the turbo conversion. The standard 172 cams seem to work really well when boosted.
If you really want to use the 197 cams, I'd fit the inlet cam and retain the 172 exhaust cam. Obviously the 197 inlet cam would need to be timed in correctly though.

172, Tiguan
Weird, we were discussing this elsewhere last night as well. Can you explain what benefit just using the inlet cam would have? Consensus seemed to be the 197 cams offered too much overlap.

clio 182
Yeah I bought the 197 cams to go with itbs but I think I might go turbo so was wondering if anyone has built and turbo with 197 cams lol

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Do they offer more lift than a standard 172 or 182 cam?
Have a look at the catcams website and compare the group n cam figures of the 172 and 197.

As for the 197 cams, yes they offer a bit more overlap so if you run a twin scroll turbo setup you will see benefits

Otherwise as Mark has said, run the 197 inlet (with 172 dephaser) with the 172 exhaust.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Weird, we were discussing this elsewhere last night as well. Can you explain what benefit just using the inlet cam would have? Consensus seemed to be the 197 cams offered too much overlap.
It's all about how it makes it come on boost mate. It will be slightly more aggressive due to the profile of the inlet cam.

Yeah I bought the 197 cams to go with itbs but I think I might go turbo so was wondering if anyone has built and turbo with 197 cams lol
The only person I know of that's fitted 197 cams in a turbo motor is chip. He doesn't come on here anymore though, but if you can track him down he will no doubt be able to offer advice.

172, Tiguan
Chip has advised against it but the inlet can idea is a good one. I've got a set in the garage and the plan is to build a turbo engine to replace the itb'd and cammed lump I've already got.